DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaggi antenna on air 2

Sorry when I say for the air 2, I meant on the controller. Many are getting good results using them on the Mavic mini but didn't know if they're compatible with ocusync on air 2

Oh right - that makes much more sense. Did I misread your post or did you clarify it?

Reactions: Thomas B
why would you do that? battery last just enough for 5 miles flight without any extra antennas lol

Reactions: gb160 and Sripey
Ocusync, or at least my understanding of it, uses both 5.8 GHz and 2.4 Ghz, choosing a channel to use and switching between bands depending on which is best at the time. Keep in mind that radio signals as a bit like a flashlight, if the drone is behind an obstacle and cannot receive a direct signal, then an indirect signal that reflects of something else will do just fine. Different frequencies reflect and/or penetrate differently, so Ocusync's ability is key to improving comm between controller and drone.

A true Yagi antenna has a driven element, with one side of that element connected to the coax center conductor and the other side connected to shield. The back element is the reflector and the front elements are directors. The Yagi is tuned to one frequency band only, so in this case it will no doubt be 5.8 Gigs for that antenna's smaller physical size.. The slip on (over the controller's what I suspect is a 1/4 wave phased antenna array), is a "faux Yagi", as the driven element is a compromise. It may offer a performance gain, but I don't think as much as a real Yagi. In either case, the directional concerns, mentioned in previous posts, may also be a problem.

In the US, with our higher power FCC mode, I don't see a real advantage. In the EU mode, maybe.

Reactions: Yanks917
Ocusync, or at least my understanding of it, uses both 5.8 GHz and 2.4 Ghz, choosing a channel to use and switching between bands depending on which is best at the time. ...

In the US, with our higher power FCC mode, I don't see a real advantage. In the EU mode, maybe.
This guy (in the USA) has done it.

This guy (in the USA) has done it.
Indeed. The Yagi Uda increases signal stability on the 5.8Ghz band for the MA2 while narrowing the directionality to 90°. On the Mavic 2, both types of antenna concentrators can successfully be used together, as Rick also demonstrates.

I didn't say it did.
Its pretty obvious from the post I was replying to that we were referring to range.
This thread is about the Yagi.
You stated, "with fcc enabled it's the battery which is the limiting factor, not the signal."
The purpose of the Yagi is to improve signal stability, not to increase the already existing 5 mile range. The battery is not the limiting factor to signal stability. The Yagi improves signal stability at all ranges within clear LOS, and the battery plays no part in that.

• Haha
Reactions: gb160
This thread is about the Yagi.
You stated, "with fcc enabled it's the battery which is the limiting factor, not the signal."
The purpose of the Yagi is to improve signal stability, not to increase the already existing 5 mile range. The battery is not the limiting factor to signal stability. The Yagi improves signal stability at all ranges within clear LOS, and the battery plays no part in that.
Where have I said this?

Again, I was replying to a post regarding range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive