DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaw & Pitch settings

Texbow

Reactions
Any advice on how to set the Yaw and Pitch settings during normal flying to replicate Yaw and Pitch in Tripod mode. The one thing that can easily screw up a video is a too fast Yaw and Pitch and for me when I play back my videos even when trying to reduce the speed, it always seems too fast. I can't think of a filming situation when I need a fast Yaw and Pitch. I realize that in the settings you can adjust but can the adjustments be set that replicate Tripod mode?

My suggestion is to use Tripod mode when recording video instead of trying to replicate it. You do not want your controls replicating Tripod mode when you need to fly against a headwind, getting to your recording start position, or trying to return home. You may want to try out Cinematic mode. It dampens movements while allowing more speed than Tripod mode.

You could adjust the rudder EXP settings to give a slower yaw start speed but when I did this I found that it also slowed the orbit speed in certain flight modes.

There is also a yaw movement setting in the Sensitivity settings that you can play with.

As for pitch settings, sense the gimbal controls the pitch of the camera, the only pitch settings I can think of would be the gimbal pitch speed setting and breaking sensitivity setting. A lower gimbal pitch speed setting slows the up/down speed of the gimbal adjustment wheel and a lower breaking sensitivity setting will make smoother (and longer) stops, which reduces the possibility of a bump in the video if the gimbal cannot keep up or hits a travel stop limit.

i lost the correct link for mavic 2 pro specifically, but you google you will find it.

Reactions: MRomine
Hard to believe a You Tube search hasn't provide more than enough info on settings.

Hard to believe a You Tube search hasn't provide more than enough info on settings.
i do not youtube. hate spending 5 minutes watching idiotic self promotions to get to 15 seconds of useful information... i guess i am just too old. i prefer words and pictures for documentation.

Reactions: offtheback
i do not youtube. hate spending 5 minutes watching idiotic self promotions to get to 15 seconds of useful information... i guess i am just too old. i prefer words and pictures for documentation.
I completely understand and agree ...

... but ...

there is a lot of information on YouTube that isn't replicated in print.

The Solution?

1. Grab the playback head and scrub on the timeline to get through all the usual channel self-promotion at the beginning of the video. YouTube provides an animated picon above the playback head that lets you see what is going on at whatever part of the video you've scrubbed to.

2. Once you release the playback head and start the playback, use the right arrow to go ahead 10 seconds at a time until you start hearing something that is useful.

3. Use the playback speed to set the speed to 1.5 - 2.0 time normal speed. YouTube provides pitch correction to you don't get "chipmunk" sound.

I can usually find what I need in a 10-15 minute video, while only spending 2-3 minutes finding it.

Reactions: parkgt

I know where your coming from but there are some very informative videos out there covering this subject. A search on this site will even point the right direction.
No sense recreating the wheel.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks for the feedback. I did a bit of Youtube searching and have seen the very common "best settings" videos and really didn't find what I was looking for. My thought was to only impact the Yaw speed without any other settings being impacted. A fast Yaw movement is one of the most damaging movements to a video and even when you think your slow it still comes across while viewing as too fast to me. It also seems that when I try hard to make it slow with the stick I get too many start stops. It could be just a combination of age and lack of experience controlling Yaw. Unfortunately my hands do not move in surgical precision anymore.

For all those still trying to find a solution to smoother yaw and pitch movements, have you tried setting an exponential curve to the movement in settings? That can smooth response significantly, though you still have to use smooth stick movements. One explanation of these settings is available at:
There's no long or flashy and pointless intro but there is a lot of preamble that explains the math behind it quite in depth, certainly with more detail than I could ever care about. Like others above, I hate wading through the flashy intro, the "Yo, Yo, What's Up, Dudes? This is the Snazzy Twit comin' at you, like, totally live on a video I made the other day. Today were going to be talking about setting expo curves, Y'all, on your DJI Mavic 2. But first Imma gonna tell yo all about my sponsor and my totally best dude's ability to shotgun Hipster Energy Drink, brought to you by Hipster Energy..." Not to mention some of the soundtracks they add to that crap. Anyway, there's a really great solution to all that, just click ahead. For this video you'll want to click ahead to about 6:45. There are other tutorials out there as well that might be more concise, this is just the first one I came upon. I'm pretty sure I read about it in the manual somewhere but I'm not digging that out to find out what page it's on.

Another thing you could consider if you want smooth footage is the Cinematic Mode. It really smooths things out by reducing how fast and aggressively the drone reacts. However, braking distance increases so if the sensors or you detect a need to stop, you need more distance to do so than you would in some other modes. It really smooths things out. Ultimately, if you want cinematic footage, you have to slow everything down. That means starting, stopping, pitch and yaw movements, etc. I hope that helps. And I apologize for making you read through some of the extranious garbage up above. Couldn't help it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive