DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another bad news story for our hobby

A ray of hope to all of your concerned about a few crazy quad flyers out there who are destroying our drone flying. As a fixed wing pilot I can attest to the fact that there are a lot of irresponsible manned aircraft pilots as well that break FAA rules and regulations. They get chastised by the press and the public, but it doesn't mean it takes down the whole General Aviation activity in our country. I certainly feel the general public might feel that we quad pilots might be doing some bad flying if we invade their privacy or start to interfere more in mixing with traffic at airports, but so far it seems to be mostly isolated events that can get overblown. My only objection is the limited approved areas that we are allowed to fly in when I look at the safe zone map on the DJI site. I have only been quad flying now for almost a month, but still enjoy it almost as much as flying in the real birds!
View attachment 19483

Appreciate your point topilot. I'm sure there are irresponsible manned aircraft pilots and I believe they are probably more woeful than the average misbehaving drone pilot. To achieve certification to fly an aircraft means many hours in the lecture room as well as in the air, so they will be far more aware of the dangers and should know better. On the other hand, hobbyist drone pilots need no training or certification and whilst they should be aware of local rules and regs, they don't have the same "education" of responsibility or discipline than that of a pilot flying a manned aircraft.

Yes, Rick I see what you mean. It is definitely true that we fixed wing pilots need much training to get our ratings. I am hopeful that it doesn't mean there are going to be a lot of uneducated irresponsible drone pilots we have to deal with that will give us a bad reputation.

Well this Stunt is going to cost us... :(

TELEMMGLPICT000133717874-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNrzB8hrvgfJ5sESwMmBGZOCHfpH_fyW0CNqPxWGmNfw.jpeg

Drone enthusiast 'amazed' as he lands device on deck of £3bn HMS Queen Elizabeth without being detected

It's more of a security wake up call for the RN to be honest, however, landing a drone on the deck of a not-yet-commissioned warship is not that much different to landing it on a freighter.

Had the vessel been commissioned and populated then that would have been a world of difference.

Why would it be a wake up call? Its a non commissioned vessel (ie just a ship) undergoing sea trials. It may not even have any surface or air surveillance equipment fitted or in use at this stage.
I cant see why anyone would expect them to detect or act on something like this at the early stage of the toy carriers trials.

The wake up call is because of an additional vulnerability in a non- naval dockyard.

Wheres the threat, its a lump of metal undergoing basic tests, just like any other ship. Its not extra vulnerable. no damage to be done or could be done, no secrets to be gleamed.

The guy was a complete moron and they should throw the book at him for this but i fail to see why its any form of a wake up call to the navy. Its not an active warship and hasnt even got most of its electronic suite installed.

I should have said vulnerability to ANY warship in a non-naval dockyard as non-naval yards are not necessarily NFZs, until recently drones have been of little concern from a security standpoint, now the proliferation needs to be taken into consideration.

No doubt this morons PR stunt is going to clamp down more on drone users for that reason.
If he'd stayed high, off to the side, did normal filming or photos then no issue at all but clearly he wasn't mature enough to act responsibly.

Reactions: SteveM
Can't believe the Royal Navy are going to be happy with a breach of security to the latest edition to the fleet. Irrespective of whether its been fitted out yet, there will be red faces at the admiralty over this one.

The problem with these stories is some lonely wannabe crazy decides he's going to strap a home made explosive to a quad and fly it into a vessel based on how simple it seems to be. Then all of us get tarred with the brush. NFZs increase, police get moody and policy get worse.

Operator needs shaming publically and the so called 'drone' experts needs to defend US the safe operators.... well most of us ;)

Can't believe the Royal Navy are going to be happy with a breach of security to the latest edition to the fleet. Irrespective of whether its been fitted out yet, there will be red faces at the admiralty over this one.

Well, to keep it in perspective, the RN haven't taken custody of this vessel, so it sails under a red ensign. Much of the highly classified equipment is either not fitted or just at chassis state.

The crew will probably 50/50 RN/civilian, with the civilians being the controlling authority, so it is still a merchantman.

Post sea trials it will be handed over to the RN and then the security will be raised to a more apprpriate level.

But yes, it is still a kants trick to land the drone on there and an even bigger kants trick to hand it over to the over sensationalising sh1t- sheet that is the sun.

will the airports ground radar pick up something so small or is it more of a visual thing???
I saw an episode on NationalGeographic TV about Dubai Airport where airport takeoffs & landings were shut down for an hour or two supposedly because of a drone flying too close to the airport. This happened twice in one day with a police helicopter dispatched to chase down the drone. They didn't find anything the first time. Supposedly, on the second time, they found a drone, somehow grounded it, and confiscated it for further investigation. There were no pictures of the claimed drone or the grounding. But they did show air control screens several times that showed a radar blip identified on the screen as a UAV (unmanned air vehicle, drone).

POSSIBLY A FALSE FLAG EVENT TO CREATE MORE REGULATIONS FOR OUR HOBBY! Just as they do with gun control regulations. Just sayin. Not a conspiracy theorist. I’ll just leave that laying here for a minute to ponder.

Reactions: dbparti24
I saw an episode on NationalGeographic TV about Dubai Airport where airport takeoffs & landings were shut down for an hour or two supposedly because of a drone flying too close to the airport. This happened twice in one day with a police helicopter dispatched to chase down the drone. They didn't find anything the first time. Supposedly, on the second time, they found a drone, somehow grounded it, and confiscated it for further investigation. There were no pictures of the claimed drone or the grounding. But they did show air control screens several times that showed a radar blip identified on the screen as a UAV (unmanned air vehicle, drone).
I call ******** on the radar blip it would have to. Be an American killer drone to show up not a DJI drone dare I say “fake news”

Reactions: Gary7399
I agree, a drone would not present a noticeable cross section return. I don't believe they would shutdown an airport for a drone, they don't shutdown for birds. I wonder if the birds show up on radar. Pure propoganda.

I agree, a drone would not present a noticeable cross section return. I don't believe they would shutdown an airport for a drone, they don't shutdown for birds. I wonder if the birds show up on radar. Pure propoganda.

They did in the UK both Edinburgh and Gatwick have been shut down for drone incursions, it's not big and it's not clever.

Reactions: Partizans
Looks like it's going to sink all on its own, without any input from one of those crazy drone operators. News today revealed it leaked like a sieve during the sea trials.

Reactions: Rogat19
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost