DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another bad news story for our hobby

Looks like it's going to sink all on its own, without any input from one of those crazy drone operators. News today revealed it leaked like a sieve during the sea trials.

That is sort of the point of sea trials.
Plus its hardly leaking like a sieve, even if left unchecked/un pumped out it would probably take a couple of months to get over the top of a saliors boots standing in the bilge :)

Shame there was not someone nearby with a laser pointer, what with the drone too, the media would have the hattrick of stories to blow out off all proportions and all in one hit:D

Reactions: The Fat Controller
Why is it that some members think any report of a drone causing disruption to air traffic is not grave cause for concern and lay blame elsewhere? This story should be of serious concern to anyone in respect of both air travel safety and the future for drone hobbyists. Anyone with an axe to grind in the lobby to get drones banned would have a field day reading some of the reactions within this forum, confirming the irresponsibility of the few.

This guy lands a drone on a navy ship and then goes to the admiral to complain about his own exploit. Now that is a fool who should have been arrested, taken into custody and charged with trespass and reckless endangerment.

Last edited:
Why would you suggest that anyone who disagrees with your view has an “agenda “,..? [emoji19]

Birds don't have to dodge "things moving at a few hundreds of miles an hour."
Birds are not at the altitudes that airplanes fly those speeds.
They are very good at avoiding airplanes going between 50 and about 160 mph.

NOT TRUE. Aircraft fly at very high speeds down low, and legally. I have flown for years, and have had numerous bird strikes, primarily at low altitudes and under 200KIAS. Most of them were uneventful. But one at high speed came through my nose cone and partially trough the instrument panel, and onto me. .Even airliners fly at speeds approaching 300 mph regularly below 10,000' and at considerably higher speeds as soon as they climb through 10K.
I see many comments about the damage a drone doing 30 mph could do. It isn't always about the drone speed.

Last edited:
I agree, a drone would not present a noticeable cross section return. I don't believe they would shutdown an airport for a drone, they don't shutdown for birds. I wonder if the birds show up on radar. Pure propoganda.

Airports don't like to shut down. Airlines don't like their pilots to divert. They surely aren't going to do this just to promote some anti drone story. Birds try to avoid airplanes, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. How can ATC, or pilots have confidence that a drone flown by a person in an area he should know to avoid is not trying to hit an airplane? Or, more correctly trying to get hit by an airplane. I once had a near miss with a kite! Not the bird, the little stick and paper kind. It was sitting at approx 900' altitude, right on course and on glide slope to the runway. I doubt that it would have done any damage, but someone was very purposely putting in in position to be hit. So if some idiot is breaking all the rules by flying near the flight path to a major airport, they should just press on??

And for all the comments about what you can and cannot see from the cockpit of an airliner, just cool it unless you actually sit in those seats. I clearly saw the kite, as well children's helium balloons, birds, and other small objects in flight. At the same time, we often have airliner size traffic pass by at altitude, with both crews knowing, and neither actually visually picking up the other.

And why no pics?? Seriously?? Well, believe it or not, we don't fly around with our cameras in our hands!

And someone please explain how this one is "probably fake".

I am a drone pilot now. I was a professional pilot for over 40 years. We need to police our ranks and call out the idiots who jeopardize our hobby, Not defend them.
Finally, could a drone bring down an airplane? Check my avatar. I found that on the internet, but I knew I would, because it is just like the helmet of one of my ex squadron mates who had to eject from a fighter after hitting a 2 to 3lb bird at high speed and low altitude. Too many here think they know things, they have no idea about.

Last edited:
Reactions: saboken
Airports don't like to shut down. Airlines don't like their pilots to divert. They surely aren't going to do this just to promote some anti drone story. Birds try to avoid airplanes, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. How can ATC, or pilots have confidence that a drone flown by a person in an area he should know to avoid is not trying to hit an airplane? Or, more correctly trying to get hit by an airplane. I once had a near miss with a kite! Not the bird, the little stick and paper kind. It was sitting at approx 900' altitude, right on course and on glide slope to the runway. I doubt that it would have done any damage, but someone was very purposely putting in in position to be hit. So if some idiot is breaking all the rules by flying near the flight path to a major airport, they should just press on??

And for all the comments about what you can and cannot see from the cockpit of an airliner, just cool it unless you actually sit in those seats. I clearly saw the kite, as well children's helium balloons, birds, and other small objects in flight. At the same time, we often have airliner size traffic pass by at altitude, with both crews knowing, and neither actually visually picking up the other.

And why no pics?? Seriously?? Well, believe it or not, we don't fly around with our cameras in our hands!

And someone please explain how this one is "probably fake".

I am a drone pilot now. I was a professional pilot for over 40 years. We need to police our ranks and call out the idiots who jeopardize our hobby, Not defend them.
Finally, could a drone bring down an airplane? Check my avatar. I found that on the internet, but I knew I would, because it is just like the helmet of one of my ex squadron mates who had to eject from a fighter after hitting a 2 to 3lb bird at high speed and low altitude. Too many here think they know things, they have no idea about.

This is not fake! People need to stop posting fake crap and complaining about legitimate issues with drone flying! We all need to be mature about this! Maybe we need a test to see what the mentally of a person is regardless of age before they can fly a drone! Some kind of competency test! Like they use for gun permits in the USA ( No mental issues that could put others at risk!) even cops get benched when they are affected by PTSD or some other kind of environmental stressors! I have PTSD myself and thought long and hard about it it’s mild and hasn’t affected my judgement but if I ever think it would I will put my MPP in the hangar till I deal with my personal issues! Right now anyone with the cash can get and fly a drone with no knowledge or training! They fly there drone like they are playing a video game! You can’t hit reset if you fly your drone into the intake of a jet causing a crash! No it hasn’t happened yet but people flying so close to a airport it will happen eventually what if one of those planes had to make a emergency diversion? And flew into that drone? He would not have had time to react and possibly crash that plane into those buildings full of people! I hope the authority’s where this happened finds and deals with him in the most harsh way possible!

NOT TRUE. Aircraft fly at very high speeds down low, and legally. I have flown for years, and have had numerous bird strikes, primarily at low altitudes and under 200KIAS. Most of them were uneventful. But one at high speed came through my nose cone and partially trough the instrument panel, and onto me. .Even airliners fly at speeds approaching 300 mph regularly below 10,000' and at considerably higher speeds as soon as they climb through 10K.
I see many comments about the damage a drone doing 30 mph could do. It isn't always about the drone speed.

I'll stick with what I what I said, which is that birds are very good at avoiding airplanes.
My airline has had one single strike that that got through the windscreen in my 32 years.
I never hit one during hundreds of low level training missions at 200' and below and about 450 knots.
I have had about three in my airline career, and none serious.
Again, they are very good at staying alive.
What were you flying when you had this strike that got through the nose and panel and "onto" you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dw911
I'll stick with what I what I said, which is that birds are very good at avoiding airplanes.
My airline has had one single strike that that got through the windscreen in my 32 years.
I never hit one during hundreds of low level training missions at 200' and below and about 450 knots.
I have had about three in my airline career, and none serious.
Again, they are very good at staying alive.
What were you flying when you had this strike that got through the nose and panel and "onto" you?

You would like to see the accident report? You seem to be implying that I am lying. That kinda pi**es me off.
I too have flown many hundreds of low levels. And you are right. Just like almost everyone I know, I never hit a bird.
Till the day I did. I was in an A-4, at 200' and 420kts. It came through my nose cone. The instrument panel stopped most of it, but some of the guts came through and hit my torso harness and flight suit. And t smelled like.........well, it stunk. Just like it stinks for you to imply that since it never happened to you, it didn't happen to me.
See my avatar? What do you think caused that? I went looking on line for just such a pic, because so many rookies on this sight don't seem to think a small object weighing a few pounds could do serious damage. I knew I would find one, because it looks almost just like the helmet of a friend of mine who had a turkey buzzard weighing about 3 lbs come through the quarter panel of his A-4 and hit him flat in the face. He, too was at 200' and 420kts. He ejected, and the aircraft was lost. I am glad you never hit a bird on your low levels, but it doesn't mean no one else has.
And, sorry, but I don't have the report from 1978. I never thought anyone would ask for it.
Thanks for your service.

Last edited:
Hey Turn 11,.... I don’t want to get into politics in this forum, but be aware that extra scrutiny isn’t triggered by “ responsible “ owners or participants. It’s the other kind that bring the ‘heat’...... Sandy Hook and Columbine,.. were not about “public opinion “,.... you can’t compare Drones to guns that kill children,..... Apples [emoji520] and Oranges [emoji521],..... [emoji19]

Hey Turn 11,.... I don’t want to get into politics in this forum, but be aware that extra scrutiny isn’t triggered by “ responsible “ owners or participants. It’s the other kind that bring the ‘heat’...... Sandy Hook and Columbine,.. were not about “public opinion “,.... you can’t compare Drones to guns that kill children,..... Apples [emoji520] and Oranges [emoji521],..... [emoji19]

Depends on the point you are trying to make I guess.
Sandy hook and Columbine WERE and ARE used as public opinion arguments to fight gun ownership.
Any comparisons like that I expect are to say, dont blame the tool, blame the criminal using it.
Same goes for drones.

ac0j,.... I respect your opinion about my reply to Turn 11 (#139). However, keep in mind that neither he nor I mentioned “blame “ . He said that “media has a bias” and emplied that ‘money’ stifles rebuttal to that bias. One of my points was simply that Public safety always has trade-offs and that there’s always someone who feels they’re carrying more than their fair share of the weight of those ‘trade-offs’..... there are valid reasons for any caring, decent society to be concerned about the health and welfare of even it’s most disadvantaged citizens,.... regardless of laws and/or regulations Guns and hobby Drones are - Apples [emoji520] and Oranges [emoji521],.....

ac0j,.... I respect your opinion about my reply to Turn 11 (#139). However, keep in mind that neither he nor I mentioned “blame “ . He said that “media has a bias” and emplied that ‘money’ stifles rebuttal to that bias. One of my points was simply that Public safety always has trade-offs and that there’s always someone who feels they’re carrying more than their fair share of the weight of those ‘trade-offs’..... there are valid reasons for any caring, decent society to be concerned about the health and welfare of even it’s most disadvantaged citizens,.... regardless of laws and/or regulations Guns and hobby Drones are - Apples [emoji520] and Oranges [emoji521],.....

Fair enough, I'll settle for they are both fruits! :D

Which does more damage? A pound of lead hitting your skull at 30mph or a pound of feathers?
A pound of lead. Stupid, right. Until you consider that a pound of lead would be smaller, so the force of the impact would be more concentrated. A pound of feathers would have a much larger "foot print" spreading the force. Imagine, you are lying on the floor. Hanging ten feet above your head , are a hammer and a pillow. They both weigh 1 lb. Given a choice, would you would prefer the pillow drop, or the hammer?

Birds don't have to dodge "things moving at a few hundreds of miles an hour."
Birds are not at the altitudes that airplanes fly those speeds.
They are very good at avoiding airplanes going between 50 and about 160 mph.

Unless you consider the hundreds of missions you flew at low altitude and high speed. Right?

A lot of these stories are bogus, as we all know it is almost impossible to see a drone from any kind of distance, even when you know where it is. So fairly obvious why there are no witness statements or tangible details, just vague words which anyone can string together.

Probably been said before but birds pose far more of a threat and cause actual issues to aircraft than our toy drones. Yet we don't try to exterminate birds.

Rob.
Wow.

I can't imagine drone pilots would do such a thing, has anyone thought it may be space aliens using cloning technology to make their intergalactic space cruiser look like a drone?! .....

Oh sorry slipped into the warped world of some of the idiots on her denying it's a drone. I've flown for over two years and from day one we had the 'rebel Alliance' pilots that stick it to the man. Same people that get assaulted by neighbors for peeping in Windows and deny it in my experience.

The only real responses I give any credence too on here are those card carrying pilots that actual carry 200+ lives everyday on large Jets, some knob Jockey bitching about his rights to put our lives at risk can do one.

Fly safe or DON'T!!

Hey, let's not start interjecting logic and intelligence here. What a buzz kill. Keep up the good work.

There is a substantial difference, anyway. We can't explain birds to set airports area free, while it's possible to do with humans, and its proper to do and to enforce, for a number of good reasons.
One of it, because anything is seen (or may be seen) in the air, now, its a drone. Eyewitness memory, is not a playback, but a reconstruction of what he thinks he has seen.
On the other side, as a passenger, i've been scared more than once seeing bird flocks in the air, just before and along take off.
Flocks are visible, way more dangerosus, expecially during take off, but it seems we (and pilots) have to take the risk and cross fingers.

We pilots don't just cross our fingers. We don't go if we, or the tower see a flock of birds in our path. Still, birds are always a possibility. Slim probability, but the only way to avoid them completely is not to fly. Even with the threat from birds, it is still the safest form of public transportation.

It dismays me to read some of the posts on here.

I have always been a responsible drone pilot. I never fly above 400ft and rarely never more than ~600ft in distance, - (BECAUSE, we are not permitted to go above 400ft...and should have the drone in sight all the time, for obvious reasons.) or anywhere that is likely to cause a nuisance, or danger.

Over the years I have seen many threads on this forum and others talking about record breaking distances and heights.
With the caveat that I never bother reading such threads (because they don't interest me) I can only assume that those who aim to break records are those that are flying their drones irresponsibly.
At least under US or EU guidelines...we simply cannot fly our drones above ~400ft nor much further away in horizontal distance. Yet there are so many that appear to do so.

There are irresponsible drone pilots....there always will be...therefore these types of news stories will always be.

I do not understand why some in this thread are portraying such a complacent attitude, questioning the legitimacy of such news reports, absolving the drone community of any responsibility....rather than rallying to acknowledge this is a problem (albeit, caused by the minority)

The sooner we ALL become compliant drone pilots, with a responsible attitude, the better.

Another killjoy trying to inject logic and intelligence into our hobby.

The reason they are so complacent is simple. It is because they don't understand that it is a math problem. If and when a drone bounces off an airliners windscreen, or gets sucked down an intake, causing an emergency landing or....worse, the news media will go rightfully, nuts. Drone pilots will all be vilified due to the actions of one really cool guy who thought his pursuit of happiness outweighed the law, or even the lives of others. The public will call for draconian laws to be passed. They will look at past "near misses" (valid or not) and be angry that nothing had been done before the big event. Members of Congress run for reelection every two years. The candidates will have to decide whether they want to support desires of the dozens or even hundreds of drone pilots in their districts, or the thousands of voters calling for our heads. "Hmmm, my job, or their hobby??" I think even a congressman can do the math on that one. It's just math.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty