DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another **** jello post - please help

niclariv

Reactions
Hi all
I've been struggling with jello in my Mavic videos.. It usually happens in bright sunlight, but hey, the mavic should be able to fly and film without it happening at all, right? I should confirm that's the case - you other Mavic flyers are able to fly without ever seeing jello right? The worst part of this very frustrating problem is that I can't see the jello on my phone screen during flight, so I only know that I got unusable footage when I get home and upload it to my computer.

Things I've tried so far based on this forum:
1) Calibrated IMU
2) Calibrated Gimbal
3) Reset Camera Settings
4) Calibrated Compass

I also bought PolarPro cinema filters, but when I tried to put them on it said 'abnormal gimbal vibration' once I started up the mavic. I tried a bunch of times, and only once did it not say that, so I flew and it was all good. I'm pretty sure I'm pressing the filter on all the way, not sure what the difference is between the flight that worked and the flights that didn't. Maybe whatever's causing the Mavic to be so sensitive to the filter is also what's causing the jello?

Did anyone have this problem and fix it? How did you fix it? I know from this forum that lot's of others have experienced jello, so hopefully there's a real solution.

Here are a couple short video clips showing my problem. There was a little wind the first time, but there was none the second time - totally still.

Dropbox - Jello 1.m4v

I'd really appreciate your help. This is super frustrating as you probably know.

Thanks!
Nick

Thanks! I ended up doing a little more reading and found other posts where people said they got the abnormal gimbal vibration message and it didn't affect the picture so I flew with the filter on today and it worked fine.

In my quest to sort out the jello issue I contacted DJI, and their response was to fly with the gimbal cover on. I did some test shots like that and was surprised with how clear the image is - I thought the plastic would affect it a lot more... however depending on the position of the drone to the sun you can really really see the plastic in the picture, especially when it's glaring with the sun and vibrating. Looks terrible. Obviously this is not the solution. Maybe filters are, but shouldn't the drone be able to film as it ships with no 3rd party things?

How picky am I being here? Does everyone experience some jello depending on the lighting conditions when flying without the bubble or filter?

iPhone 6S

One other thing I noticed is it was shakey in a non-jello way the whole time flying in sport mode at full throttle. It same gimbal pitched limit reached also. Is that typical of sport mode? I thought I'd seen someone's range test video where they flew in sport mode the whole time and it looked smooth

iPhone 6S

Thanks! I ended up doing a little more reading and found other posts where people said they got the abnormal gimbal vibration message and it didn't affect the picture so I flew with the filter on today and it worked fine.

In my quest to sort out the jello issue I contacted DJI, and their response was to fly with the gimbal cover on. I did some test shots like that and was surprised with how clear the image is - I thought the plastic would affect it a lot more... however depending on the position of the drone to the sun you can really really see the plastic in the picture, especially when it's glaring with the sun and vibrating. Looks terrible. Obviously this is not the solution. Maybe filters are, but shouldn't the drone be able to film as it ships with no 3rd party things?

How picky am I being here? Does everyone experience some jello depending on the lighting conditions when flying without the bubble or filter?

iPhone 6S

I don't think you are being picky, however this jelly effect has been an issue for a while. I recall that some people found a fix. I will hit Google like a mad man and see what I can find out.

Thanks! I've been googling too and have only been able to find suggestions like calibrating the IMU, gimbal, and resetting the camera settings, which I've already done. Some people are definitely able to fly without ever seeing jello right? Or is everyone getting it with the right light?

I tried some more testing and found that without a doubt the gimbal cover makes things worse - as I already suspected it would. You can see it shaking in the right light, and when flying in sport mode I think it makes some kind of turbulence that causes the video to shake fairly constantly. So that's definitely not the solution. I've emailed DJI back and I'll update this when I find out what actually cures my jello.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS