DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Youtube

Rick243

Reactions
Hi. New at this, Just wondering how much time it should take to upload short movies to Youtube? I have one currently uploading at 20 hours and only 34% is done...The file size is 49.6 GB, 14:38 long. I think I have a fairly fast wifi here.??? I did select a very high resolution. I want it to be clear when played on a large screen. Should I abort and start over? Thanks in advance for your comments.

What is your upload/download speed according to speedtest.net?
What is the framerate and resolution of the file you are uploading?
49 GB is a very large file and it would take a lot of hours unless you have an extremely fast connection.
If you have a well made worthwhile video I would not recommend decreasing resolution or downscaling to less than 4K. My policy is always upload the best quality and let YouTube do it's thing to make it work. I want my videos to be worthwhile showing on a 4K TV.
So, we need to start with you upload/download speed.

Reactions: Rick243
Hi. New at this, Just wondering how much time it should take to upload short movies to Youtube? I have one currently uploading at 20 hours and only 34% is done...The file size is 49.6 GB, 14:38 long. I think I have a fairly fast wifi here.??? I did select a very high resolution. I want it to be clear when played on a large screen. Should I abort and start over? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Shut Down ! Even 4K at 60 frames for an hour would only take about 4 Hours.
My advice scale down to 2K and something seems off about your 50 Gig file for 15 minutes.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I always go for 4K 30 fps with no compression to get the best file on YouTube. A 30 GB file will take 10-15 hours at <10Mbps. So, your upload speed needs to be known. Until the, my recommendation is to NO abort until you know the details. If the upload is not stuck, just let it proceed for now.

Before aborting, a lot more details are needed.
What is your past experience with uploading files to YouTube? Were the videos long or short? How long did it take to upload.
I suspect a 4k video of 14 minutes uncompressed would be in the range of your 50 GB. It doesn't mean you should shorten the video or decrease the quality. Unless you have very high speed internet it is just what you learn to live with.
On the other hand some details would help (first the upload speed), the how is your router connected to the internet. I assume you are using cable modem and you are not using a phone hotspot. Then, how many other devices are actively using your router for anything?
You can also monitor your computer with Windows Task Manager. You can drill down to find out how active your hard drive is and whether you internet activity is at maximum
You can do all this investigation while the file continues to upload.

That is a monster file. There's no reason, even in 4K, for a file that big for a show that long. What was the file format?

I recently posted a 15 minute 4K video and the source file was 12GB That was in h.264. If I'd used h.265, the source file would be even smaller. The result is crystal clear.

I since found out that YouTube LOVES h.265

What is your upload/download speed according to speedtest.net?
What is the framerate and resolution of the file you are uploading?
49 GB is a very large file and it would take a lot of hours unless you have an extremely fast connection.
If you have a well made worthwhile video I would not recommend decreasing resolution or downscaling to less than 4K. My policy is always upload the best quality and let YouTube do it's thing to make it work. I want my videos to be worthwhile showing on a 4K TV.
So, we need to start with you upload/download speed.
35.25 download, 3.60 upload. It is Spectrum broadband.
The movie is put together from 4K clips from my Mavic 2 zoom. I think its 25 fps not sure. It is a QT movie created in iMovie.
It looks so great when mirroring my MacBook screen to my 65" TV, I hate to give up any resolution just to share it, even tho most viewers will probably see it on a phone screen.

That is a monster file. There's no reason, even in 4K, for a file that big for a show that long. What was the file format?

I recently posted a 15 minute 4K video and the source file was 12GB That was in h.264. If I'd used h.265, the source file would be even smaller. The result is crystal clear.

I since found out that YouTube LOVES h.265
It was a series of 4k clips from my Mavic 2 zoom, put together in iMovie (.mov) with 4 songs added in the audio. looks like my upload speed is on the slow side at 3.60 mbps. It's nearing the 22 hour mark and its 38% uploaded.

Your file is really large but that is what is needed for a high quality 4K video. Your upload speed on the other hand is really bad. So, you have a choice to decreasing the quality of the video or living with high quality slow upload.
My choice is go for quality and live the the slow upload until you can find a better internet service.
I go for 4K no compression uploads to YouTube. My uploads of near 30GB will take many hours and I expect your upload at such slow rate is in line with your upload speed. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the number; just the upload speed of your service.
Just be glad you didn't abort and now just let it go for another day.
You could also try to re-do your video to make it an excellent video by removing some unnecessary part. Try to make your video into a story. Make sure you encode it as .MP4 file not a .MOV file.
Assuming your Mavic 2 is 4K 30fps. So, make sure your encoded file is 4K 30fps, not 25fps. Encode to MP4 in the format YouTube recommends. And use something other than iMovie for edit. ShotCut is a nice free app for windows and has set encoding parameters for YouTube.
With all of the omitted details which now surfaced, I would recommend a total restart to create a new video in proper format keeping 4K and no compression for upload. Is suspect a new video file will be less than 30MB and be better than your current one. It will 20-30 hours to upload until you find a better service.

Your file is really large but that is what is needed for a high quality 4K video. Your upload speed on the other hand is really bad. So, you have a choice to decreasing the quality of the video or living with high quality slow upload.
My choice is go for quality and live the the slow upload until you can find a better internet service.
I go for 4K no compression uploads to YouTube. My uploads of near 30GB will take many hours and I expect your upload at such slow rate is in line with your upload speed. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the number; just the upload speed of your service.
Just be glad you didn't abort and now just let it go for another day.
You could also try to re-do your video to make it an excellent video by removing some unnecessary part. Try to make your video into a story. Make sure you encode it as .MP4 file not a .MOV file.
Assuming your Mavic 2 is 4K 30fps. So, make sure your encoded file is 4K 30fps, not 25fps. Encode to MP4 in the format YouTube recommends. And use something other than iMovie for edit. ShotCut is a nice free app for windows and has set encoding parameters for YouTube.
With all of the omitted details which now surfaced, I would recommend a total restart to create a new video in proper format keeping 4K and no compression for upload. Is suspect a new video file will be less than 30MB and be better than your current one. It will 20-30 hours to upload until you find a better service.
I don't recall seeing any options to select a file type when saving the movies. I will open a project and see if its in there. Im kinda stuck with iMovie for now, unless I buy another PC??? Or if software is the issue maybe some other editing software for Mac?
Currently 56% uploaded at 31 hours.

That's the point. Don't use iMovie. Don't create a .MOV file for YouTube. Use a general use a video editor like ShotCut (free) or something else. Use whatever it takes to create a quality MP4 video.
Shotcut is available for Mac. Shotcut - Home
Start with basics, like a simple 1-minute video. There are a lot of ShotCut free tutorials.

That's the point. Don't use iMovie. Don't create a .MOV file for YouTube. Use a general use a video editor like ShotCut (free) or something else. Use whatever it takes to create a quality MP4 video.
Shotcut is available for Mac. Shotcut - Home
Start with basics, like a simple 1-minute video. There are a lot of ShotCut free tutorials.
Current versions of iMovie work fine, however you do have different options when creating your output to post somewhere, and that is "File", the other options create small files for email, YouTube or FaceBook of probably Ok, but very limited quality. The files generated are mp4 and there are options that you can select that determine the final output and you get a guesstimate of how large that file will be. You can select lower resolutions, or 4k If that is the source, you can set the quality, High, ProRes, or Custom,, which sets the bit rate. ProRes creates a HUGE file and you can set faster or better compression. I think ProRes saves in MOV, not MP4. not sure...

I created a 17 min 4K file that was about 8.5 GB, with audio and that was with better settings, not ProRes.. It took about little over an hour or so to upload, and I have 20meg up.. however the post processing took several hours on YT to render all the resolutions.

Chances are he's saving in ProRes, which is why its almost 50gb, my 17 min video goes to 76gb guesstimate in ProRes.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing any options to select a file type when saving the movies. I will open a project and see if its in there. Im kinda stuck with iMovie for now, unless I buy another PC??? Or if software is the issue maybe some other editing software for Mac?
Currently 56% uploaded at 31 hours.
So, aren't you glad you didn't abort the upload?
I did some research to see that YouTube does accept .MOV files. Regardless of the type it will likely take YouTube several hours to process a HD or 4K file into a YouTube format; that's typical.
In future I would still recommend you use an app like ShotCut (iOS) as I think it will give you a lot more options to do more than just add clips together. Creating easy-to-view video is important, in my opinion. Learning is a slow process if you want to produce quality videos.

44 hours, 76%. Maybe this time tomorrow night I can share a link with ya'll!

With 76% now you can estimate 58 total hours. Anxious to see the result.

Current versions of iMovie work fine, however you do have different options when creating your output to post somewhere, and that is "File", the other options create small files for email, YouTube or FaceBook of probably Ok, but very limited quality. The files generated are mp4 and there are options that you can select that determine the final output and you get a guesstimate of how large that file will be. You can select lower resolutions, or 4k If that is the source, you can set the quality, High, ProRes, or Custom,, which sets the bit rate. ProRes creates a HUGE file and you can set faster or better compression. I think ProRes saves in MOV, not MP4. not sure...

I created a 17 min 4K file that was about 8.5 GB, with audio and that was with better settings, not ProRes.. It took about little over an hour or so to upload, and I have 20meg up.. however the post processing took several hours on YT to render all the resolutions.

Chances are he's saving in ProRes, which is why its almost 50gb, my 17 min video goes to 76gb guesstimate in ProRes.
I think you are right. I do remember selecting the ProRes option. I only have 3.6 upload speed. I did find out that my Moms upload speed is over 10, so that would help some to just do it over there.

Reactions: FLDave
I think you are right. I do remember selecting the ProRes option. I only have 3.6 upload speed. I did find out that my Moms upload speed is over 10, so that would help some to just do it over there.
I know you've spent a lot of time already uploading this file, YT is going to re-encode it to the file format it uses to stream files to everyone that will watch it. The other issue here is because the file is so large to begin with, YT's post processing is probably also going to take forever. Also any audio you've added cannot be copyrighted, or it will be flagged during the post processing and may also cause issues for you.

ProRes is uncompressed, which is why its so large, however you would be hard pressed I think to see the difference on most devices between that, and if you had used the high quality setting and better quality compression and set the resolution to 4K, assuming that is the source.

Back to the top, You can let it rip as FLDave suggests, or you can have it done in a few hours probably if you re-encode it not using ProRes and upload that resulting file. The other way to speed it up is if there are places in the video that are lengthy or perhaps erratic during the flights for some reason that you can edit out to make it shorter, .. Remember, iMovie is not destructive, it's doing all its work on copies of the original. So the cleaner it is, it will be shorter and will upload and process quicker.

Your call...

Uploading complete! Still processing the HD and 4K but I did get it to play in 1080 p on my iPhone and it looks ok. It’s just 14 minutes of aerial video of the hay harvest on our farms, with 4 songs added. It started out as an exercise learning to fly and video moving targets. I showed the guys on the tractors some clips and they were all excited about it and suggested the audio. The operators are a father/son team, and watching them work inspired me and brought back so many memories of myself and my own Dad working those same fields over 50 years. I wish we had drones back then. So it’s nothing fancy but kind of mesmerizing to watch if you have time. And yes there was some mention of copyright, but the authors allow use on YouTube, so I guess I lucked out there. You may not like the music but hey, this is Kentucky!

I really enjoyed the entire video--worth the wait.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS