DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yuneec Drone

Reactions: Cafguy
Greetings from Chicago the Windy City, welcome to the Forum.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART
\

Yuneec's consumer drones were quite advanced in their heyday around 2016. Their signature drone series, the Typhoon; culminated with the "Typhoon H Plus" which, oddly enough can still be purchased. I have one and it still is an amazing drone.

We still use a Yuneec H520 and it's a work horse and works very well both RGB and THERMAL.

I have owned 3 of there HEX drones. Good value work well. They are more complicated then a Inspire series.

The one thing many Yuneec owners (me included), always complained about was that: while Yuneec's Typhoon Platform had many advantages and industry firsts; they never seemed willing to make refinements that would have made their drones more appealing.

Ironically, some of that resistance to change or following of market trends, has turned out to be quite welcome in some ways. For instance, the ability to have all geo zones and restrictions removed - permanently. Also when DJI started going towards smaller, more compact drones, Yuneec stayed the course with it's larger drone and controller.

I still, to this day; prefer the full size controller and screen layout of Yuneec over DJI's toy-like early controllers.

Actually they were giving DJI a run for top spot years ago, but the divorce in the owners screwed everything up when the wife seized control of the company, has you see the H+ is still tops with the 1" camera sensor which forced DJI to catch up to... Another point which they led in was no geo fencing on the 520, Im new to DJI but my Yuneecs fly wherever I chose without Yuneec knowing when and where Im flying ???

All the above. My first drone was the Typhoon H-480 and two others since. In addition to the above they handle wind very well. I've flown commercial jobs in winds in the upper 40's and you would not tell watching the video. Although not recommended, as mentioned above it is also a workhorse, I have used it to left other drones out of 60-70 trees.
And most of all it is a pleasure to fly.

Reactions: johnnyb57
Just before starting out commercially, it was a first-place tie between a Yuneec hexacopter and one of the Mavics. The only reason that DJI won that coin-toss was down to the portable form factor, the first job being the survey of late Iron Age/early Roman lead/galenite mine workings in forest that is still primary. Chances of hiking in with anything the size of a Yuneec (or an Inspire, for that matter) would have needed a team of bearers, a machete and a pith helmet. 😁
Sometimes I still regret not having a 520 in the stable.

The one thing many Yuneec owners (me included), always complained about was that: while Yuneec's Typhoon Platform had many advantages and industry firsts; they never seemed willing to make refinements that would have made their drones more appealing.

Ironically, some of that resistance to change or following of market trends, has turned out to be quite welcome in some ways. For instance, the ability to have all geo zones and restrictions removed - permanently. Also when DJI started going towards smaller, more compact drones, Yuneec stayed the course with it's larger drone and controller.

I still, to this day; prefer the full size controller and screen layout of Yuneec over DJI's toy-like early controllers.
Yes! The controller for the Q500 has a solid feeling and the screen is easy to see in the sunlight...

One problem provided from a friend with an inside source, was the owners wife took the business. He started it and had good plans, quality, and support. After she took over it went down hill as it was just a money pool for her.

Prior to that, you could reach them on the phone is a few minutes and had quick response to problems. i.e., I had a Typhoon H that went down in a swamp due to a new defective FW update. I called them while driving back to the house. They had one being sent to me at no charge before I reached home. I had similar responses whenever I called with a tech problems or to learn something.

After she took over, there were delays, you couldn't reach anyone, there was no refinements as mentioned above, service went downhill.

I loved the Typhoon series, they are so enjoyable to fly, dependable, handled strong winds (flew jobs in 45+mph winds, had lifting ability. But I had to move on for reliability. Hence, the Mavic Pro, M2 Pro, Autel EVO II Pro, Air 2s, and the Mavic 3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1