DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

yup first crash & 100% lazy pilot error

bjhirsch

Reactions
As we are in lockdown I decided to play a bit with my mini on my roof terrace. Very stupidly & lazy I decided to lift of from a table which has a iron or alumunium frame so for sure I got a compass error .. drone lift up normal and all of a sudden fly backward without wind or stick impact after some sec on initial hovering. It crashed very softly into a large bush without any visible damage (very low speed, soft leaves & fly in was backwards, so gimbal & camera luckily protected. I was a bit too slow to react, but impressed how the mini switched off the rotors " automatically" . After very careful inspection everything looks okay & did 3 test flights without problems indoor.

Quite impressed .. but now my question, is there any way to get the log files & see the crash detection initiated to understand how fast the protection reacted ? I was not filming so no video available, was just looking for some flying.

Thanks for any suggestion & yes I now .. this was 100% pilot error and you should not lift off close to magnetic objects , I just underestimated the impact :(

Thanks Bjoern

As we are in lockdown I decided to play a bit with my mini on my roof terrace. Very stupidly & lazy I decided to lift of from a table which has a iron or alumunium frame so for sure I got a compass error .. drone lift up normal and all of a sudden fly backward without wind or stick impact after some sec on initial hovering. It crashed very softly into a large bush without any visible damage (very low speed, soft leaves & fly in was backwards, so gimbal & camera luckily protected. I was a bit too slow to react, but impressed how the mini switched off the rotors " automatically" . After very careful inspection everything looks okay & did 3 test flights without problems indoor.

Quite impressed .. but now my question, is there any way to get the log files & see the crash detection initiated to understand how fast the protection reacted ? I was not filming so no video available, was just looking for some flying.

Thanks for any suggestion & yes I now .. this was 100% pilot error and you should not lift off close to magnetic objects , I just underestimated the impact :(

Thanks Bjoern

Just for sharing an experience, I was once having problems with compass calibration , I tried once and again but it didn't seem to work until I realized I was next to a steel sheets stack (about 20 pcs), I did not take off so no crash happens but a strong reminder always to check your surroundings looking for magnetic interference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661