DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About to pull the trigger on a new Mavic and curious about a few things

I'm really gun shy about getting one just because if I can't use it in the middle of nowhere, I really don't want one.

I see videos on YouTube alllllll over the place with people flying them light years away from the controller without issue. Or so it seems.

You can use it in the middle of nowhere (and should!). Most of those videos are accurate - you can fly the Mavic a long way without losing a signal - and the middle of nowhere is even better (as there's no interference with other signals, like WiFi, cell towers, electrical lines, etc). And you can always keep it within line-of-sight if you're that worried (or at least until your confidence in it grows).

Don't hesitate. Go get one and fly! You'll never look back.

Ok. So, I'm assuming the MP just stays connected via the controller? The tablet is merely a screen to view in larger form?

Yes. It's just a bigger screen with more information and stats displayed. (and allows for all the fancy flight modes)

Yes. It's just a bigger screen with more information and stats displayed. (and allows for all the fancy flight modes)
So the cable plug in is what accomplishes that? No need for an app.? App seems to be the common culprit. At least recently.

Wondering the point of the app.

You can use it in the middle of nowhere (and should!). Most of those videos are accurate - you can fly the Mavic a long way without losing a signal - and the middle of nowhere is even better (as there's no interference with other signals, like WiFi, cell towers, electrical lines, etc). And you can always keep it within line-of-sight if you're that worried (or at least until your confidence in it grows).

Don't hesitate. Go get one and fly! You'll never look back.
Good to hear. I'm a hiker and snowshoer. So the wilderness is my playground. Away from everything and everyone. Lol.

What better place to play with a toy right?

I'm really gun shy about getting one just because if I can't use it in the middle of nowhere, I really don't want one.

I see videos on YouTube alllllll over the place with people flying them light years away from the controller without issue. Or so it seems.

Mate re you 2 adjacent posts.

Buy it :)

You can fly it ANYWHERE with 99% safety in general, there's always a chance of malfunction with anything in life.
The Mavic practically flies itself, very stable.
Read the manual (online) and practice settings to get the best from it.
Stick to LOS until confidence builds, and not flying near any large metal things (ground anomalies are normally ok, not many places that can interfere) you should be all good.

Don't start in those places (the top of a mountain etc).
Start at an oval, big open place when no people around.
FLY, start beginner mode, you'll be off that in no time and really enjoying it !

I'm an avid bushwalker too, 4wd trips, love getting out there.
Be cautious about flying out of sight too early, over water, etc.

I can't see where you are in your profile (hike, US ?), but in Australia (and I'd assume US) National Parks are off limits in most cases (QLD is great and open !)

I have flymore combo, have been using iphone 6, if you're android user, read up there's lots of info here about probs.
Have a iPad mini 4 now, Go4 all loaded up :D
Just waiting on the Thor holder, and cable, and I will be enjoying this Mavic even more :)

Get it and have fun learning through various places, MavicPilots and other forums, youtube, and of course personal experience.

Mate re you 2 adjacent posts.

Buy it :)

You can fly it ANYWHERE with 99% safety in general, there's always a chance of malfunction with anything in life.
The Mavic practically flies itself, very stable.
Read the manual (online) and practice settings to get the best from it.
Stick to LOS until confidence builds, and not flying near any large metal things (ground anomalies are normally ok, not many places that can interfere) you should be all good.

Don't start in those places (the top of a mountain etc).
Start at an oval, big open place when no people around.
FLY, start beginner mode, you'll be off that in no time and really enjoying it !

I'm an avid bushwalker too, 4wd trips, love getting out there.
Be cautious about flying out of sight too early, over water, etc.

I can't see where you are in your profile (hike, US ?), but in Australia (and I'd assume US) National Parks are off limits in most cases (QLD is great and open !)

I have flymore combo, have been using iphone 6, if you're android user, read up there's lots of info here about probs.
Have a iPad mini 4 now, Go4 all loaded up :D
Just waiting on the Thor holder, and cable, and I will be enjoying this Mavic even more :)

Get it and have fun learning through various places, MavicPilots and other forums, youtube, and of course personal experience.
I fixed my location info.

At first I thought all the lost signals and drone losing was just because they were first batch issues but I'm still seeing complaints of lost drones bought this past July!!! Really?

Btw, not sure what you meant by 2 adjacent posts.

The posts you did after each other, near the one I replied to.
Just saying that you want to take it remote, fly from mountain tops etc.

I think a few people take off before GPS mode locks in properly, got to lock on to good home before flying off ?
A clear area, take it up a good 30' vertical to allow recognition for auto land etc ?
Loss of wifi to the controller should automatically kick in RTH, but it needs to be at least checked to confirm it suits each flight, terrain, obstacles, etc.

There's so much info to absorb in reading all the functions and features, it is hard learning this drone thoroughly and get the best from it.
Suppose it's the old adage 'slow and steady' that is best.

The posts you did after each other, near the one I replied to.
Just saying that you want to take it remote, fly from mountain tops etc.

I think a few people take off before GPS mode locks in properly, got to lock on to good home before flying off ?
A clear area, take it up a good 30' vertical to allow recognition for auto land etc ?
Loss of wifi to the controller should automatically kick in RTH, but it needs to be at least checked to confirm it suits each flight, terrain, obstacles, etc.

There's so much info to absorb in reading all the functions and features, it is hard learning this drone thoroughly and get the best from it.
Suppose it's the old adage 'slow and steady' that is best.
Ah. Ok.

Yep, I've watched a bunch of YT vids with pointers for newbies.
1) up 30' to calibrate home base
2) remove sensor protection tape from ALL sensors
3) remove BOTH gimble protectors.

The main thing is, learn the controls and settings before you get too adventurous. Go to a wide open space like a ball park and mess around with the controls, handling, functions etc. Just have to be patient. I even did a test in an open area when the winds were pretty high, just to see how the handling was and to get the feel of flying in higher winds and what I felt comfortable with.

The main thing is, learn the controls and settings before you get too adventurous. Go to a wide open space like a ball park and mess around with the controls, handling, functions etc. Just have to be patient. I even did a test in an open area when the winds were pretty high, just to see how the handling was and to get the feel of flying in higher winds and what I felt comfortable with.
Of course. First thing on my list.

So the cable plug in is what accomplishes that? No need for an app.? App seems to be the common culprit. At least recently.

Wondering the point of the app.

The app is good no matter what. And it's useful for quite a number of things (wouldn't want to fly much without it). The issue is not with the app malfunctioning - it's typically user error when problems arise. The most common (and valid complaint) with the app is the Android version. It seems to crash quite a bit (the app, not the drone!), necessitating a restart of the app. You can always control the drone with the controller, even if the app is not running (or crashes). The key though is to make sure your settings are correct before setting off into the blue yonder (RTH setting is on, RTH height is high enough, etc). Those are the things that will work wonders, even if the app crashes or the drone loses its connection to the controller.

I have Android for everything else in my life but use an iPad Pro for flying the Mavic. Never had a single issue with the app in iOs. I also use Litchi and Autopilot quite a lot and those do even more than the DJI Go app.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_