DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Negative RID experiences so far?

No RID issues for me so far, if and when I do have a negative encounter from it I will legally be in the right to be flying both the way and where I am, so it won’t matter.

And as for being on a list, I was on the Deans “other list” in High School, that was pretty sad. After leaving all that I did much better.

Reactions: Torque
So far it looks like no one has had a bad experience due to RID. I think most people are to lazy to add an app to monitor drones. Remember they have to be running the app to see you. It's easier to look into the sky.
Had to jump in because this thread is so convoluted and tangential. You comments {they have to be running the app”. Until I discovered this post, I never heard of any App/program that was available to the general public for the purpose of tracking Drones via RID. While I am part 107 compliant/certified, I’m also relatively new to drone flying in general (18 months). Appreciate any insights you can share. Feel free to message me if easier. Thanks very much

I don't feel RID will have a big impact. Really can't be detected from far. Most people will likely see the drone first before they even find it on the app.

It's pretty much designed to catch people who are doing something they shouldn't be doing.

I'm halfway through part 107 studies and plan to use a vest that has FAA Certified Drone Pilot, Do not disturb and have a copy of my Remote Pilot Certificate on a lanyard. If I were to run into a Karen, I would just tell her I'm working and really don't have time to talk to her.

Even when I'm flying recreationally.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have no idea how many people have tracked me down with RID, I'm sure the confrontation to non-confrontation use of RID will be 1000 to 1 and most don't end up that way. It's hard to say since many of the RID apps don't work so I think we need to give it a year or two or three before we call it. As I mentioned in another thread, the word is not out (regardless of the dates) and so you probably won't have a lot of usage but social media comes into effect and all of a sudden, tracking drones via RID is a thing. Right now, all pretty quiet (meaning the normal amount, not an increase). The date only means something when the news starts saying "As of last week (March), all drone are required to...." and then it becomes important. Most pilots and most citizens have no idea about the dates.

Would be nice if I could see my file and see if there are any complaints logged or any reports (I guess I could FOIA the info). As I keep saying, I'm not a very approachable person and certainly not from a confrontation standpoint so I don't expect a lot. But I'm also not so selfish to believe because it doesn't happen to me it can't happened to the next person. I'm looking out for the entire community, not just myself and my own privilege.
Download the app and take a look at it I do every time I go out. It really doesn't show much. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think we are going to see as much problem as "WE" think we will.

Certainly not the way it works in America but there are lots of Americans who wish it would and who are trying their best to get us there. No idea if this guy is telling the whole truth or not but this is an example of what it means to get placed on "a list" when you allow ridiculous special situations, special rules to be created about drones that you have no idea about and cannot defend against. So much anti-drone about all of this. No wonder drones will never become anything in that country, there's no real freedom there in my opinion:

• Haha
Certainly not the way it works in America but there are lots of Americans who wish it would and who are trying their best to get us there. No idea if this guy is telling the whole truth or not but this is an example of what it means to get placed on "a list" when you allow ridiculous special situations, special rules to be created about drones that you have no idea about and cannot defend against. So much anti-drone about all of this. No wonder drones will never become anything in that country, there's no real freedom there in my opinion:

I got ARRESTED for Flying this Drone

Here's another example of sensational misinformation to garner views. By his own description of the encounter with the German police, he was never arrested. He was not fined. His drone was not confiscated.

there's no real freedom there in my opinion:

Is your opinion based on the experiences you've had while traveling in Germany?

Reactions: okw and Torque
Stopped when he said, "you're not supposed to fly over people, or at least if you do, they're not supposed to be recognizable."

Moron.

I'm pretty sure those aren't the rules in the EU.

Reactions: okw and Torque

Hmm, ignorant of rules, was DETAINED for two hours.
Quite a bit different than the fear mongering click bait title.
He even ends the video with "lesson learned" and not a rant of how drone pilots are losing their freedoms or are being placed on lists...

Remember here in Seattle when a Phantom flew over the Pride Parade, hit a skyscraper and ricocheted 200 ft down into the crowd hitting two people in the head? That pilot got 30 days in jail.
Both of these pilots were deserving of their outcomes in my opinion.

It's just one of those IMHO but I go by something my grandparents and parents both used to say around me. I quote "You make your bed, you lie in it." The rules are there for a reason. Don't do things against the rules and you won't have to pay the price. Don't give someone the excuse to try and make trouble for you.

Hmm, ignorant of rules, was DETAINED for two hours.
Quite a bit different than the fear mongering click bait title.
He even ends the video with "lesson learned" and not a rant of how drone pilots are losing their freedoms or are being placed on lists...

Remember here in Seattle when a Phantom flew over the Pride Parade, hit a skyscraper and ricocheted 200 ft down into the crowd hitting two people in the head? That pilot got 30 days in jail.
He claims to have been detained for two hours. I'm skeptical. He also claimed he was arrested. I just can't imagine a couple of police officers spending two hours without either letting him go or taking him to the station.

Yes, I remember because it was one of the first reckless endangerment by drone cases in the country. The pilot in that case tried to recover the drone but a witness held the drone tight in his hands and would not let it go so the pilot fled the scene. He would not admit that he was the pilot even though he was the registered owner and there were photos and videos of him and his friends on the SD card.

The police used some brilliant investigative work to build a powerful circumstantial case that the controller was in the defendant's hands at the time of the crash. For example, they looked at the photo below taken off the SD card and did a reverse image search of the woman in the costume at lower left. On a hunch, they contacted her at work and asked: you know the guy who took your photo while flying his drone at the parade, what is that guy's name again and she blurted out the answer.

The defendant refused to admit he was the pilot and was sentenced to the 30 days in jail following a full blown jury trial. Its a striking difference between the $500 fine and no jail the guy in CA got from the FEDS for hitting a police chopper in 2020. Maybe due in part to trying to snatch the evidence and flee the scene, refusing to admit rather obvious guilt and forcing the time and expense of a trial. You would think the FEDS would be way tougher on drone crime than a municipality but maybe not always.

1705633982025.png

Last edited:
Remote ID does not prove who had the controller in their hand at the time of the illegal flight. Trying to snatch evidence or flee the scene looks very incriminating but does not prove who had the controller in their hands during the flight.

1705637174466.png

Last edited:
He claims to have been detained for two hours. I'm skeptical. He also claimed he was arrested. I just can't imagine a couple of police officers spending two hours without either letting him go or taking him to the station.

He also claimed to be well versed in the rules, and claimed you could fly over people as long as they weren't recognizable. (yes, this one really has my panties in a twist 😁)

He claims a lot of things. Questionable things. 🙄

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2