DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use the MavMount for iPad?

Unfortunately, the Hoodman "snout" as I call it is not permitted in Canada because of the "line of sight" rule. I checked and Transport Canada does not consider it compliant to the LOS rule if you are using it. Pity because it looks really good for bright days.
I don't think anyone, anywhere, is going to care about that. We have a LOS rule here too... with a drone so small that I cant see it 100 yards away, and can travel 10k feet from me.
That is totally stupid. I understand the whole VLOS thing, but that shouldn't really count. If so, you need to remove your tablet/phone altogether and fly with the RC only. Let's face it, everytime you look at your tablet you are breaking VLOS. You can't see your drone with your eyes if you are looking at your tablet whether a hoodman is attached or not! Having a hoodman is going to improve your vision of the tablet which can only be a safer thing. If you are looking down into your hoodman, nothing is stopping you from tilting your head up and looking at your drone.

BTW, thank you... you have given me more ammunition against the VLOS police. I'm going to start telling them if they fly with a tablet/phone, they too are breaking VLOS every time they look at it.

I ordered mine a couple of days ago. I just learned the ballheads are currently back ordered due to all the holiday demand. Apparently there's going to be a blue ball head option with the new shipment of ball heads!

Here's a video showing MavMount with the 12.9" iPad Pro. The tiny remote - huge screen combination looks unwieldy! The reviewer also gives a painfully honest demo of a cheap plastic alternative.

Andy

I like the sturdiness of the MavMount base but felt the holder itself
did not secure my iPad Mini with the Hoodman tight enough and wanted
to flop around.
The Hoodman does not weight a lot but makes it top heavy.

I found this tripod mount that holds it and can also be used
in the vertical or horizontal position and holds it very tight.

To bad I had to buy another mount at the price they charged for
the MavMount but at least I am happy now.

2016-12-31 09.09.37.jpg

Reactions: Sandovaal
I ordered mine a couple of days ago. I just learned the ballheads are currently back ordered due to all the holiday demand. Apparently there's going to be a blue ball head option with the new shipment of ball heads!

Here's a video showing MavMount with the 12.9" iPad Pro. The tiny remote - huge screen combination looks unwieldy! The reviewer also gives a painfully honest demo of a cheap plastic alternative.

Andy

Awesome, so glad to see a positive review and direct comparison like that in the wild come back.

I remember your email, and replied to you immediately. Check your spam, when we changed our ip from standard to SSL secure for credit card transactions, some mail services might have marked it as suspicious. I'll PM you here too since you may not be getting emails. Cheers!
Aerial West, question on the sale you have going now. About to pull the trigger but waiting on a couple of things.. how long will your sale last?

Aerial West, question on the sale you have going now. About to pull the trigger but waiting on a couple of things.. how long will your sale last?
Honestly that was the presale price, so I'm not sure! I've been so busy, haven't thought about ending it. =) so, get it while you can!

I like the sturdiness of the MavMount base but felt the holder itself
did not secure my iPad Mini with the Hoodman tight enough and wanted
to flop around.
The Hoodman does not weight a lot but makes it top heavy.

I found this tripod mount that holds it and can also be used
in the vertical or horizontal position and holds it very tight.

To bad I had to buy another mount at the price they charged for
the MavMount but at least I am happy now.

View attachment 3331
How much is the other mount, the one that holds the Hoodman more securely.

Oh snap... new color just out of anodizing today!blue4 (1 of 1).jpg blue5 (1 of 1).jpg blue5 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Attachments

• blue23 (1 of 1).jpg
    blue23 (1 of 1).jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 58
Reactions: ImagePix
If you would have told me you had that when you emailed.. I would have chosen it. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerial West
MavMount works great, but you can use a iPad mini without modification.
yeah, it just flexes the arms, they werent meant for that, then the screen is below the controller, wierd ergonomics. Like having your dash board below your steering wheel and trying to drive. Cant use a sunshade... just odd. but yeah, you can wedge it in there.

Anyone know what the current order to delivery time is right now?
Blue/Blue, Blue/Black ship immediately.

Black ballhead designs (red, black, & the limited sold out orange) all ship this week, including every order on backorder. just waiting for the first shipment of black ballheads that were wiped out by Christmas orders to arrive today, and then a much bigger shipment later this week.

I had them ship the first 100 the moment they were done separately so i could get a hold of them faster and start shipping earlier. Just about everyone has been so great and patient and gracious... thanks guys.

Reactions: RWhisnant
Blue/Blue, Blue/Black ship immediately.

Black ballhead designs (red, black, & the limited sold out orange) all ship this week, including every order on backorder. just waiting for the first shipment of black ballheads that were wiped out by Christmas orders to arrive today, and then a much bigger shipment later this week.

I had them ship the first 100 the moment they were done separately so i could get a hold of them faster and start shipping earlier. Just about everyone has been so great and patient and gracious... thanks guys.
Hard to follow all that....... ship date for Black/Black?
I'll be ordering today Thumbswayup

Hard to follow all that....... ship date for Black/Black?
I'll be ordering today Thumbswayup
No problem.. most things I say just make sense in my head, ha.

This is the part that applies to black ballhead/black plate:
Black ballhead designs (red, black, & the limited sold out orange) all ship this week. =)

Up until Christmas wiped me out, I was shipping everything same day, some within minutes of ordering were boxed, labelled, and in the pile to be taken to the post office. The blue/blue orders that came in today were shipped within minutes. Proud of that, and excited to get ALL these orders out! I'm just sitting here with tape gun in hand like a gun slinger waiting for the DHL guy to get here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty