DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boss asked me to record a video, do I need a 107 license?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has clearly got you very excited at the chance to trash reasonable attempts at regulation, but you are vastly overreaching now.
Are you seriously claiming that a regulation requiring Part 107 certification in order to inspect your own gutters is a reasonable attempt at regulation?

Sorry - that assertion is complete nonsense. [...] no agency has attempted to enforce against personal gutter inspection, as far as I'm aware, that point is both moot and a straw man argument.

But that's exactly my point. You yourself questioned whether "it is even realistically enforceable". And here you're agreeing with me that no agency has (or is ever likely to?) attempt to enforce against personal gutter inspection. Because it's embarrassingly ridiculous.

So, at what point does personal gutter inspection become entirely moot? Are you therefor safe to continue inspecting your own gutters? No! Because somebody will eventually rat you out to the FAA for conducting non-recreational flights without the proper Part 107 certification.

As long as such a ridiculous interpretation can be applied according to the existing regulations, you're not safe to be inspecting your own gutters without Part 107. You can fly over your gutters "just for fun", you just can't look at the gutters while you're having fun..

The assertion is not nonsense. It's just a convenient example. Everything else is merely a question of degree.

If inspecting your own gutters is realistically unenforceable, why not inspecting your neighbour's gutters at the same time, why not accept a bottle of beer from your neighbour after doing the inspection, why not accept money? There is no discernable difference in the level of safety in any of those examples. The entire recreational versus commercial distinction serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

This thread has clearly got you very excited at the chance to trash reasonable attempts at regulation,...
Not really. I'm completely unaffected. Here in Canada there no longer is any difference whatsoever between recreational, non-recreational, or commercial flying of remotely piloted aircraft. The only thing that matters is where you fly (i.e. controlled vs. uncontrolled airspace). The same regulations apply equally to everyone.

What gets me excited is that there are people who actually believe it makes some sort of sense to continue to distinguish between recreational flights over your own house for fun versus gutter inspections over your own house. Some people even insist this represents a reasonable attempt at regulation.

I understand the FAA is trying their best, and that Congress is getting in the way. Hence your bizarre recreational vs commercial conundrum. But to an outsider your system sure looks like it's broken.

Reactions: DJ Wes
Ok so what is the best way to get the 107 certification, alot of ADs out there, thanks
Sorry if this has been answered already. Basically, there are 2 ways to go:
- Pay for a formal course
- Self Study

Pilot Institute is very active on this forum and has been recommended by many members on this platform. Use the search function find relevant posts.

I went the self study route because I am retired and have plenty of time, especially during this past winter. There are many resources on the internet and I also bought an app for my iPhone from Remote Pilot for $5. I scored a 92 and passed on the first try. If you are more comfortable with a structured regime then definitely go with an instructor.

If you don't pass studying on your own, you have to pay the testing fee (~$175) each time you retake the exam, until you pass. Some schools offer a refund if you don't pass.

Good luck...and let us know when you get your 107.

Let’s cut the personal attacks people. The letter of the law and the applicability of it are two different animals. I’m getting a bit tired of reminding people about being civil. If you are so bored you have to argue over such obtuse details, maybe flying for fun of flying is in order. No pictures, videos, gutter inspections, or pictures for the boss. Just go thrash some air!

Reactions: BigAl07
Are you seriously claiming that a regulation requiring Part 107 certification in order to inspect your own gutters is a reasonable attempt at regulation?

But that's exactly my point. You yourself questioned whether "it is even realistically enforceable". And here you're agreeing with me that no agency has (or is ever likely to?) attempt to enforce against personal gutter inspection. Because it's embarrassingly ridiculous.

So, at what point does personal gutter inspection become entirely moot? Are you therefor safe to continue inspecting your own gutters? No! Because somebody will eventually rat you out to the FAA for conducting non-recreational flights without the proper Part 107 certification.

As long as such a ridiculous interpretation can be applied according to the existing regulations, you're not safe to be inspecting your own gutters without Part 107. You can fly over your gutters "just for fun", you just can't look at the gutters while you're having fun..

The assertion is not nonsense. It's just a convenient example. Everything else is merely a question of degree.

If inspecting your own gutters is realistically unenforceable, why not inspecting your neighbour's gutters at the same time, why not accept a bottle of beer from your neighbour after doing the inspection, why not accept money? There is no discernable difference in the level of safety in any of those examples. The entire recreational versus commercial distinction serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

Not really. I'm completely unaffected. Here in Canada there no longer is any difference whatsoever between recreational, non-recreational, or commercial flying of remotely piloted aircraft. The only thing that matters is where you fly (i.e. controlled vs. uncontrolled airspace). The same regulations apply equally to everyone.

What gets me excited is that there are people who actually believe it makes some sort of sense to continue to distinguish between recreational flights over your own house for fun versus gutter inspections over your own house. Some people even insist this represents a reasonable attempt at regulation.

I understand the FAA is trying their best, and that Congress is getting in the way. Hence your bizarre recreational vs commercial conundrum. But to an outsider your system sure looks like it's broken.
You don't get it. You really just don't get it at all. Many laws and regulations are compromises in which you can find, if you try hard enough, situations where they are unenforceable or make little sense. Most reasonable people recognize and accept those limitations because they understand what the laws are trying to achieve. You, apparently, cannot, so I'm not going to waste any more time trying to convince you.

To be fair, most Canadians inspecting their gutters would be flying an advanced operation — unless they ensured that absolutely no one was within 30m at all times, not to mention a large number of homes are close to airports/heliports or within control zones.

(That's why I use my Mini to check my gutters!)

The American TRUST certificate seems to be better suited for recreational flyers than our basic certificate, in implementation if not in concept. I like the fact that study material is provided (rather than TC's approach of "read the regulations and AIM", which swamps a well-intentioned novice in irrelevant material).

We made the right choice in deciding not to use the motive for a flight as part of the criteria for the operational class. Requiring a flight test for the advanced certification is also reasonable, IMHO.

Where Transport Canada screwed up is the implementation. The tests are poorly written adaptations of standard pilot exams, and include many irrelevant questions while omitting material that should be tested (eg. runaway procedures). Helicopters don't have elevators, compressed air is the most common way of launching model aircraft, hypoxia means pilots at altitude need supplemental oxygen — none of those relate to safely flying sRPAS.

You don't get it. You really just don't get it at all. Many laws and regulations are compromises [...]
For sure, many regulations are compromises. Speed limits for instance. The regulators want people to believe that "Speed Kills". But you, as a physicist, know that's nonsense. It's not speed, it's sudden and extreme change in speed that's dangerous (acceleration/deceleration). Speed alone is rarely the issue, it's just the easiest to regulate, measure, and enforce.

Despite its far greater danger, incompetence or inattention behind the wheel is much more difficult to enforce. Instead it's simple to pass a regulation, with clear penalties, that encourages everyone to drive slowly enough that, when the inevitable crash occurs, you're less likely to cause harm to yourself or others. It's relatively easy to convince society of the benefits of such a regulation.

My main issue, the one I just don't get at all, is regulating in a way that is illogical.

Let's bring this back to the original question which started this thread.

I work for a small company. Sometimes I shoot drone footage for "fun". Truly I do. I just go shoot the video footage because I like to. This time I have been sent a text and asked if I can shoot some footage over our buildings for a pitch he is making.
If I volunteer to do it, is it considered commercial flying and I can get in trouble?
This question, in various forms, comes up frequently in this forum. That, in itself, is a low loud and clear indication that people do not understand the reasoning behind this particular regulation.

Lots of people will jump in immediately to point out, correctly and accurately, that the FAA's regulation defines what you can do for "recreation" versus what is required under Part 107 for "non-recreational" flying. There's no arguing about that, the regulation is clear.

My issue is that the regulatory distinction makes no sense. We've had this discussion before in other threads where you've pointed out that it's not the FAA's fault. In their "reasonable attempt at regulation", they wanted the regulations to apply equally to everyone, but Congress forced them to retain the exemptions for recreational hobby flyers. That's how the regulation ended up in this situation.

But it's not logical. The end result is that recreational flying can be conducted under a more relaxed set of regulations, while non-recreational must comply with a much more stringent set of regulations. It doesn't matter how you arrived at this point, what matters is that there still are these two separate classes of flying.

You are allowed to fly "for fun" under a more lenient set of rules. But if the exact same conditions of flight are performed for any actual benefit to humanity (even for just your own benefit, i.e. gutter inspections), then you need the full Part 107. That makes no sense, but that's what the regulation says.

In effect, it implies that flying "for fun" is less of a menace to society than flying for any benefit, and thus recreational flying is somehow worthy of less restrictions. Or, looking at it from other side, flying for business is somehow more of a menace to society and thus worthy of greater restrictions.

So, back to the original question. @cowsgonemadd3 is legally allowed to fly over the building and shoot video "just for fun" under the recreational exemptions. But if someone else asks him to do the exact same flight, for that he needs a Part 107.

Either flying over the building is safe, or it's not safe. There's no difference. Why then should the regulation treat the flight any differently based solely on whether it's done for fun or business?

It is not a reasonable regulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Wes
To be fair, most Canadians inspecting their gutters would be flying an advanced operation — unless they ensured that absolutely no one was within 30m at all times, not to mention a large number of homes are close to airports/heliports or within control zones.
Yes, but there's a crucial difference here. In Canada, the distinction for the requirement of either Basic or Advanced certification is based on what and where you are flying, not why you are flying.

It has nothing to do with whether you're flying for fun or whether you want to inspect your gutters. If you need to fly a 250g-25kg drone for whatever reason within controlled airspace, you need to hold an Advanced certificate and coordinate with the controlling authority.

That's why I use my Mini to check my gutters!
Exactly. Because our regulations do not explicitly forbid flying micro-RPAS (<250g), even within controlled airspace, as long as the flight complies with CARS 900.06.

laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/page-179.html#h-1111561

"900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person."

Here's a question for our American friends. The Mavic Mini, weighing less than 250 grams, does not require registration with the FAA, correct? Can sub-250g drones be used for non-recreational purposes (i.e. gutter inspection), or does even the Mini then require full Part 107 compliance?

We made the right choice in deciding not to use the motive for a flight as part of the criteria for the operational class. Requiring a flight test for the advanced certification is also reasonable, IMHO.
Agreed. Obtaining a licence to drive a car requires passing a written test to show understanding of the relevant regulations, plus an actual road test to demonstrate a minimum level of competence.

Imposing an overwhelming level of confusing regulations on operators of remotely piloted aircraft, with no actual test to demonstrate they can avoid running their drone into the nearest tree (or bystander), makes no sense.
Where Transport Canada screwed up is the implementation. The tests are poorly written adaptations of standard pilot exams, and include many irrelevant questions while omitting material that should be tested
True that.

We're no better than the USA in that respect.

I work for a small company. Sometimes I shoot drone footage for "fun". Truly I do. I just go shoot the video footage because I like to. This time I have been sent a text and asked if I can shoot some footage over our buildings for a pitch he is making.

If I volunteer to do it, is it considered commercial flying and I can get in trouble?
Possible suggestion, don’t use your drone, use your cell phone camera or another type of camera. Are there other buildings close by that you could get some pictures from?

Either flying over the building is safe, or it's not safe. There's no difference. Why then should the regulation treat the flight any differently based solely on whether it's done for fun or business?

It is not a reasonable regulation.
It's not a regulation at all. It's a law, directly as enacted by Congress, and it would take an Act of Congress to change it. The words that Congress wrote require that an aircraft flown under section 44809 be flown "strictly for recreational purposes".

People may debate whether it's reasonable to have more lax rules for amateurs vs professionals, but it's common in other areas. Generally, to drive a large truck for money, you must have a commercial driver's license, maintain logs, observe rules regarding rest breaks, and follow other rules that don't apply to people driving Recreational Vehicles privately, even though the vehicles may be the same size and weight.

A private pilot may carry passengers, but may not charge money for carrying passengers, beyond splitting the expenses of a flight. To charge money for carrying passengers requires a commercial pilot's license.

Many governments allow people to have sex for recreational purposes, but if the exact same act were done for money, it would be considered illegal.

Back to drones, when flights are done for compensation, there can be a certain pressure to complete a mission, even if conditions are less than ideal. A purely recreational flyer always has the option to say, "this is not fun anymore, I'm going to land and come back another day". Pressure to complete a mission when weather or other circumstances are deteriorating is something that has been a contributing factor to many aviation accidents.

It's not a regulation at all. It's a law,
Okay, so it's not a reasonable law.

People may debate whether it's reasonable...
Evidently.

People may debate whether it's reasonable to have more lax rules for amateurs vs professionals, but it's common in other areas. [...] commercial driver's license vs. driving Recreational Vehicles [...] Private Pilot vs. Commercial Pilot's licence [...] recreational sex vs paid sex[?]
One could also debate whether any of those are reasonable, but that's well beyond the scope of this particular thread topic. In any case, the fact that other [potentially] unreasonable laws exist does not diminish my position that this particular one is unreasonable.

Back to drones, when flights are done for compensation, there can be a certain pressure to complete a mission, even if conditions are less than ideal. A purely recreational flyer always has the option to say, "this is not fun anymore, I'm going to land and come back another day". Pressure to complete a mission when weather or other circumstances are deteriorating is something that has been a contributing factor to many aviation accidents.
I think you'll find that aviation accidents resulting from deteriorating weather conditions are not limited to commercial flights. I don't have access to the statistics, but my gut tells me there are probably far greater numbers of accidents of that type among recreational flyers.

Still, your theory is commercial flights are more dangerous because of a certain pressure to complete a mission, and thus more stringent regulations are justified.

So back to the original question, do you actually believe @cowsgonemadd3 is safer flying over the building recording video as long as he is doing it just "for fun", versus suffering under a certain pressure of having been tasked to do the same flight for someone else??

So back to the original question, do you actually believe @cowsgonemadd3 is safer flying over the building recording video as long as he is doing it just "for fun", versus suffering under a certain pressure of having been tasked to do the same flight for someone else??
I don't know enough about this person's safety habits and the circumstances to answer your question. But you didn't go back to the original question. The original question was whether a Part 107 license is required for doing some filming at the request of one's employer. THAT question was answered several times, and the answer is a clear "yes".

The question of whether Congress wrote the correct law is one for the US Citizens to take up with their Congress.

Reactions: BigAl07
That is not the original question. The original question was if 107 certification was required for flying at the request of their boss. That has been answered several times. I don’t understand why you keep hounding a subject that does not affect you.

Reactions: Rich QR
I think you'll find that aviation accidents resulting from deteriorating weather conditions are not limited to commercial flights. I don't have access to the statistics, but my gut tells me there are probably far greater numbers of accidents of that type among recreational flyers.
I checked with a (Canadian) lawyer friend.

He said that the legal reasoning/justification for requiring higher qualifications for commercial operators was that they will be doing the activity a lot more, so what is a small risk of an accident for someone flying for an hour a week becomes much greater for someone flying multiple hours a day. Also that there is a duty of care to passengers (which obviously doesn't apply to drones).

No idea whether that reasoning is actually what was behind the differing requirements — not a lawyer myself.

In any case, I view it as yet another quaint custom of our neighbours to the south, and certainly not worth getting upset about. Like thinking that "the Civil War" started in 1861 rather than 1642… :)

And I'll note that when I got my first drone Canada didn't require a license to fly recreationally (in very limited locations) but did require one to fly commercially. I think the current system is an improvement, but we once did what America is still doing.

That is not the original question. The original question was if 107 certification was required for flying at the request of their boss. That has been answered several times.
Yes it has. And every time the simple answer is that the law says what it does. I'm just curious why none of you seem to be concerned that it makes no sense. Or even worse, you all seem to be convinced that it makes perfect sense the way it is. That's the bit that I don't get at all.

When I said, "Back to the original question...", I really should have said, "As it relates to the original question..." Of course the Part 107 is required. The law is clear.

All I'm questioning is the justification for such an unreasonable distinction in the law, to which you pointed out that there are other laws that are also [potentially] unreasonable, which is no justification at all. The only potential safety implication was...
... when flights are done for compensation, there can be a certain pressure to complete a mission, even if conditions are less than ideal.
Your reasoning is that recreational flights are fun and carefree and therefore safe, whereas non-recreational flights impose a certain pressure and thus are more dangerous requiring more stringent regulation. Correct?

So going back to another original question. By the way, it wasn't me who first brought up the issue of gutter inspections, eh.
So you are saying that if I fly over my house to look at my own gutters (instead of getting on ladder) I would need a Part 107?
Yes, definitely. That too was answered. The law says Part 107 is required for any non-recreational flight. If there is any benefit to be gained from your flight, other than for your own personal enjoyment, then Part 107 is required.

In your opinion, this is justified? Flying over his own house "for fun" is somehow safer than doing anything useful like inspecting his own gutters, because he would be under "a certain pressure to complete that mission"?

This wholly artificial distinction between recreational versus non-recreational makes no sense.

I get it that it's only there because Congress forced the FAA to include the exemptions for recreational flights. But in doing so they've effectively conceded that drone flights can be safely conducted under a less stringent set of rules. If that were truly the case, then why not allow everyone to operate under those same set of less stringent rules?

I don’t understand why you keep hounding a subject that does not affect you.
Think of it as a science project. I'm just curious why none of you seem to think there's anything wrong with the way your rules are set up.

I did notice that nobody has yet answered this question.
Here's a question for our American friends. The Mavic Mini, weighing less than 250 grams, does not require registration with the FAA, correct? Can sub-250g drones be used for non-recreational purposes (i.e. gutter inspection), or does even the Mini then require full Part 107 compliance?
I suspect the reason nobody has answered is because Part 107 actually might be required. Is that true?

If so, it proves my point. According to the FAA's Aviation Rulemaking Committee Final Report of November 2015, the risk of injury from a sub-250 gram micro-drone is so miniscule (1,000 times safer than general aviation) that it does not even warrant registration with the FAA. But if you use one to inspect your gutters, you'd be subject to the full Part 107?

If that were truly the case, then why not allow everyone to operate under those same set of less stringent rules?
IMHO, that is there to protect businesses from competition. Because, you know, I would hire someone to inspect my home gutters if I wasn't able to do that myself with my own drone. Congress is there to protect business (and their donations) rather then the people.

I did notice that nobody has yet answered this question.
I suspect the reason nobody has answered is because Part 107 actually might be required. Is that true?
Yes ... There is no exemption for lightweight drones used for commercial flight and Part 107 would be required.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Think of it as a science project. I'm just curious why none of you seem to think there's anything wrong with the way your rules are set up.
I get more of a feeling of political debate in your arguments and there are jobs for that in the United States. You might find you have a talent for being a Congressional Lobbyist. I’m quite certain you do not have to be a US citizen to be a lobbyist.

I would hire someone to inspect my home gutters if I wasn't able to do that myself with my own drone.
Speaking as someone who once actually did fall off a ladder while inspecting the gutters on my own house, I agree that it's safer to hire someone qualified to do the job.

I climbed onto the roof once a year to use a leaf-blower to blast the debris out of the gutters. That one time, just as I was about to move my foot from the ladder onto the edge of the roof, the base of the ladder slid out from under me on the wet surface of our wooden deck. Eeeek!

I went down like a sack of wet cement, landing on top of the ladder. The ladder blew the glass out of our kitchen door, scaring the bejeesus out of my daughter who was doing her homework at the kitchen table. She saw me lying there stunned on top of the ladder and thought I was dead. If I'd actually succeeded in putting one foot onto the roof, I would have fallen over backwards, landed on my head, and probably broken my neck. As it was I dropped straight down and landed on my feet, only spraining an ankle on the edge of the ladder.

Now I use my Mavic Mini for the job. It works great, as long as I do it frequently enough to blow the dry leaves out of the gutter before they turn to mud.

I checked with a (Canadian) lawyer friend.
He said that the legal reasoning/justification for requiring higher qualifications for commercial operators was that they will be doing the activity a lot more, so what is a small risk of an accident for someone flying for an hour a week becomes much greater for someone flying multiple hours a day.
An enthusiastic recreational flyer could just as well be outside flying every day, whereas an unsuccessful commercial flyer could maybe find a paying job only once a month.

It's like saying that driving on highways is dangerous. The more often you do it, the greater your exposure. So it makes sense to always drive as fast as you possibly can to limit your exposure time. ?

Also that there is a duty of care to passengers (which obviously doesn't apply to drones).
In the manned aviation world, duty of care is the big reason. There's certainly a difference for a commercial pilot or airline ferrying several hundreds of passengers on each flight, compared to the smaller risk of a private pilot killing only themselves and possibly a handful of friends or family passengers. The government has to be seen as "doing something" to protect the public at large.

But, as you said, this "obviously doesn't apply to drones". Whether you're flying your drone for fun, or whether you're flying it for any sort of beneficial purpose has negligible effect on the safety of the flight.

I'll note that when I got my first drone Canada didn't require a licence to fly recreationally (in very limited locations) but did require one to fly commercially. I think the current system is an improvement, but we once did what America is still doing.
Correct. In the not so distant past, Canada did have a similar distinction between recreational versus commercial flying. It was because of the definition of "model aircraft". Like every aircraft operating within Canadian airspace, even "model aircraft" were subject to the Canadian Aviation Regulations. And, similar to the current situation in the USA, the Canadian regs included a specific exemption for model aircraft.

The only applicable requirement was that model aircraft must never be flown in a manner that interferes with manned aviation or puts persons on the ground in danger. This is the exact same requirement that today applies to sub-250gram remotely piloted aircraft.

The kicker was that, at the time, the definition of "model aircraft" included the bit about them being flown only for recreational purposes. If you wanted to fly for any commercial purpose, you needed permission from Transport Canada via a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). The process for obtaining an SFOC was cumbersome, requiring a detailed application submitted a month before the planned flight. Then Transport Canada might take much longer than that before approving and granting the SFOC. It was a ridiculous system.

Responsible professional flyers complained bitterly that this onerous process was forced on them, whereas irresponsible and ignorant recreational flyers were given free rein to cause increasing havoc with their drones.

When Transport Canada eventually issued the current set of new drone regulations, they removed the distinction between recreational versus commercial operations. Quite rightly, they ruled there is no valid justification nor any significant safety difference in distinguishing between a drone flight conducted for recreational purposes compared to one conducted for commercial reasons. As a result, the only thing that matters now is the weight of the drone and where it's being operated.

We have a sub-250g micro category, which doesn't need to be registered and only must not interfere with manned aviation or be a hazard to people on the ground. We have a 250g-25kg category which must be registered and requires the pilot to hold either Basic or Advanced certification. And we have a greater than 25kg category which still requires the full SFOC.

The difference between Basic or Advanced has nothing at all to do with whether you're flying recreational or non-recreational. It's purely about where you're flying. Basic is not permitted within controlled airspace, period. For that, an Advanced certificate is required.

While I firmly believe that our system makes better sense than yours, ours still doesn't go far enough. It's questionable whether a small drone weighing just over 250 grams should be treated exactly the same as something weighing nearly 25kg (25,000 grams). And, I fear that someday there will be closer attention focused on the sub-250 category.

However, we have the FAA to thank for the sub-250g category. It was the FAA that first chose this number in November 2015 as defining the dividing line between what was considered heavy enough to present a threat of fatality to people on the ground, versus what was light enough that the threat was so minuscule and negligible that not even registration would be required.

The proof of that has been demonstrated by the fact there have been no fatalities attributed to sub-250 gram drones [or even any greater than 250 grams] since or before that November 2015 report.

In effect, sub-250g drones are defined as "safe", whereas greater than 250g are considered "dangerous". That principle was cast in stone by the FAA and was quickly accepted and copied by most other countries around the world, including ours [except Japan chose 200g, and Europe determined that anything carrying a camera is a greater danger].

Yes ... There is no exemption for lightweight drones used for commercial flight and Part 107 would be required.
Evidently the distinction between recreational vs non-recreational continues to hold far greater significance for Americans than anything regarding safety.

Either flying a sub-250g drone is "safe" enough for any amateur to do it, or it's "dangerous" and requires stringent regulation. Whether you're flying for fun, or decide to inspect your own gutters, should have no bearing whatsoever on that distinction.

Imagine the uproar if, for example, the following hypothetical comparison applied.

You are free to continue plinking at tin cans with your guns as long as it's done "just for fun". You're even allowed to go out in the woods to shoot deer as long as it's just for recreational slaughter. You then realize you could bring that deer meat home to feed your family. Depending on who you ask, it might be considered okay only on the obscure condition that the deer slaying was originally your idea of "fun" and you only incidentally profited from that "fun" by stumbling onto the free meat.

[For any of you with the patience to still be following along, this is equivalent to flying your drone for fun and posting fun videos on Youtube. Someone subsequently offers you money for the use of your video, People have often replied in this forum that Part 107 would not be required under the recreational exemption, because your original "intent" in posting the video was not for profit and thus still qualifies as "recreational".]

However, deer hunting would NOT qualify as recreational if you originally "intend" to kill the deer to feed your family. That's obviously a non-recreational scenario. Much worse, you could never share the deer meat with your friends or neighbours, unless a whole different set of more stringent gun rules was applied since that is no longer a recreational use of that toy "for fun".

Farming is certainly a non-recreational enterprise. You can't use a drone to inspect your own crops without Part 107. Imagine you're a farmer and own a rifle. As long as shooting coyotes is just for your own personal entertainment you'd be allowed to operate the rifle under a less stringent set of rules. But if you use it for any beneficial farming purpose, for example protecting your livestock and livelihood from predators, then you'd be subject to an entirely different level of stringent rules.

Where does that end? It's bizarre.

Reactions: spudster
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown