DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat has the drones you're looking for.

Making money on YouTube is highly over rated. A few in the top 10 do make 500K, but a typical big channel with 1-3 million subscribers might make $150K but they will need to pay staff and have lots of good contacts to find interesting stuff to film. At the end of the day after expenses that $150 will probably be $50K in your pocket. It's a Rat race that sucks the life out of people very quickly.

Highly overrated? There's a British woman on YouTube who made north of $20 million dollars per year a couple years ago making videos of herself unboxing Disney toys. Think about that for a second.

And here's a list of the top 10 in 2016....all north of $5 million dollars per year.

MEET THE YOUTUBE MILLIONAIRES: These are the highest-paid YouTube stars of 2016

The fact is you CAN make money on YouTube...and some people LOVE to criticize the people who do. But the fact is, for every person making a living on YouTube, there's 10,000 people who make nothing. Why? Because it's not easy. It's tons of work filming every single day, editing, and having a creative eye.

You can't take away from what these guys like Casey accomplish. They captivate and audience of millions of people daily and spend nearly all of their free time creating content. In my opinion it's an art form just like any other.

I DID watch a few of his videos. I chose them based on the titles of the videos. They were all clickbait. Mostly him walking around in NYC, or LA, or showing him getting ready to go to one or the other, as he talks about something, and then it's over.

Click

Bait.

And it gave him more "views" and more income. He doesn't care if you like him or just come to laugh at him, it's viewership.

I'm not saying that it isn't work being a celebrity "just for being a celebrity". It takes real work and hours to produce content to get the clicks. I'm just saying that in the brief time I took to watch a half dozen videos, there was nothing interesting about the content. Just me... waiting for him to do something... and it never happened.

Maybe my sample size was too small. But I don't intend to give him more money just to prove to you that I found something interesting there.

Compare that to, say, "SmarterEveryDay" where he takes a topic, spends time and energy setting it up, and does something interesting with it. Every time. OK, maybe he relies on slow-mo too much these days, but he tries to apply a scientific concept and put it in plain words or illustrate it via video.

And then there's Veratasium, another video blogger that is even more steeped in science. Great stuff.

Of, you can take a guy who gets free gear and treats it like crap. He plays to the average IQ. That's why he gets so many viewers.
Dustin's "Backwards Bike" video was really fascinating.
As for Casey, I stumbled across one of his video's about 6 months ago while searching for camera gear. I thought "who is this clown trashing gear like this". Then again I stumbled upon another of his video's and found his manner to be rather upbeat so I watched more. I found the more I watched the more I wanted to see. His positive attitude kept me engaged. I found the city (New York) where he lived interesting. He is certainly very creative and his drive is nothing short of intense which also held my interest. I put aside the things I didn't like such as his propensity to break stuff and enjoy the good. He states many times after getting nasty comments regarding his treatment of gear that he hasn't the time to treat his "tools" with so much care. His very first camera was treasure to him, and he treated it like a new born. But now his pace is so high he only has time to literally throw cameras and a quadcopter into a bag and run out the door.

Reactions: Ike582
The guy is a professional film maker. Many of his shots are inventive and creative. He does tell a lot of good stories which is INCREDIBLY difficult to do each and every day. He essentially started the vlog. If you don't like it, I think that's fair but to hate just because he breaks stuff is silly. He does things with cameras every day that most of us wouldn't do, but he definitely captures a lot that most of us don't as well.

Frankly, he's inspired me. I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing without seeing his work and feeling like anything is possible. He came from zero and made it to where he is. Respect.

Just as an aside...he sold beme for 25 mil but there are tons of people involved with that. I highly doubt he sees too much of that money after investors are paid and employees are provided their cut.

Reactions: digitalartwerks
That's a mistake. Think about it. Each one takes about 2 weeks best case (and only that fast since Jan - before that it was much longer). There are simply not enough weeks since the introduction for this to be even close to true. I ordered another one on Jan 14 and it hasn't even shipped yet.
There all over the place on eBay letgo Craigslist if you're willing to pay a premium you could have one in a hour

I discovered Neistat as the Mavic was being introduced and was obsessively scouring the inter-webs for information and footage to oogle. I certainly enjoy his approach to "the story" and his editing style makes for enjoyable videos. A little crazy at times, sure. Jacka$$ level? Certainly not ... well, maybe the fireworks in the handbag thing ;-)

Much quality work from my somewhat old-guy perspective that's a good study in how to engage an audience.

Reactions: xUNx DeathDrone
He should write up his experiences on how he destroyed / lost his Mavics so we all can learn on what not to do! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MavicPilots mobile app
I think its pretty simple what not to do. Having flown these aircrafts for a while, the main think you don't want to do is fly one that someone gave you for free. If you have to purchase one yourself, you'll use common sense, comply with the laws and use the aircraft the way it was designed. I've seen a few YouTube channels that have formatted their blogs with the Casey template and immediately after losing their aircraft in a lake or whatever, blame it on DJI and ask their viewers to demand that DJI give them a replacement. Pretty funny. Very simple, pay for it yourself and it will likely last a long time. BTW, I've had a couple "fly-aways". One I found 3 days later. The other one I never saw again. Both were my fault as I flew slightly out of the line-of-sight. But that was before the evolved technology of RTH. I also made the horrible mistake of not putting my phone number with "Reward" on a mounted sticker.

Casey's most recent deal was 25mil with CNN.

Remember, much if not most of that money went to Casey's investors in Beam. That's how it works when you sell a structured investment partnership where the sponsor puts up very little of the equity.

Casey Neistat has made a ton of great content. If you want to check anything out, search for his video of him and his son making the hike to Machu Picchu. Fantastic.

The guy is a professional film maker. Many of his shots are inventive and creative. He does tell a lot of good stories which is INCREDIBLY difficult to do each and every day. He essentially started the vlog. If you don't like it, I think that's fair but to hate just because he breaks stuff is silly. He does things with cameras every day that most of us wouldn't do, but he definitely captures a lot that most of us don't as well.

Frankly, he's inspired me. I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing without seeing his work and feeling like anything is possible. He came from zero and made it to where he is. Respect.

Just as an aside...he sold beme for 25 mil but there are tons of people involved with that. I highly doubt he sees too much of that money after investors are paid and employees are provided their cut.
I am curious what you are doing that was inspired this guy?

Enjoyed the film a lot. I didn't know Casey from Adam before I joined this forum and started watching his Mavic content. Did I think he was careless because of 'free stuff' syndrome ? Yes for sure but I will say that the guy publishes some interesting content and I give him credit for getting to where he is from where he came from.

Reactions: Ike582
I have been watching Casey for a while now.
I got hooked on his day to day vlogs and how he puts together what could be an ordinary day into a interesting presentation. Between the videography, the adventures, and the P4 drone footage, I kept up on watching the daily vlogs.

Because of the video of when Casey got that first mavic, I decided I had to have one.
Earlier, before his video, I saw the cool new karma had been released by go pro, and it was awesome. I liked the smaller profile and the way it folded to be stored.
Then, the mavic, and his video.
I knew right away the mavic was going to be incredible and I ordered one. Then he "lost" it into the river... oh oh.
Time for being nervous.
Then, karma died out.
Then, mavic delayed.
I admit, I started feeling nervous again about the order but I'm really glad I stuck it out til delivery. This thing is incredible.

Reactions: VortexSpin
I got my first on December 12th, 50 flights on it and I love it. I waited NINE weeks ! I just ordered a second as my brother in law got toy envy. Now I wait again but it will only be a couple.

One thing for sure, read the (skimpy) manual twice and then watch as many youtube videos as you can on setting it up and operating it. This is not your Grandfathers Buick.....

The guy gets repetitive and boring after a while...and his political views are typical libtard fantasy-land.

$25 million to CNN.

And they've shut it down already!
"In the hopes of bringing in a younger audience, CNN has acquired the social video sharing app Beme, which was most notably the brainchild of YouTube star Casey Neistat. Beme, which let you quickly shoot and upload four-second videos, will be shut down, the New York Times reports. Neistat and the app's 12 other employees will be working on a new project for CNN which will debut sometime next year. While the app only received around 1.2 million downloads, the deal mostly seems to be a way for CNN to bring Neistat aboard, a successful YouTube personality who's managed to cultivate a desirable millennial viewership."

He had said that the app wasn't the big part of the beme company. It had pretty much died after only a little bit after the launch, and then the relaunch.

The guy gets repetitive and boring after a while...and his political views are typical libtard fantasy-land.
I actually think he does a half way decent job of keeping his political views out of his work. Seeing that he is from New York, it's really no surprise that he is a liberal. If you can't see past the fact that he is a liberal then you're no worse than every other uneducated person out there no matter what side of the spectrum they fall on.

I love having open discussions on politics. I may not agree with you, but I'm not going to call you some derogative name because I don't.

In my opinion, there are too many people that fall left or right of center too often and forget that a democracy actually is a government focused on making the people happy as a whole. It should never be one sided. With the social media market, the divide has widened ten fold which is, in my opinion, is what is causing the internal strife that America faces today.

We just need to find a happy medium so that we can all just get back to our lives and continue flying drones...

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jemi9OD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming