DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cinematography Pros out there, what is the highest shutter until you notice a difference?

ChopSticks

Reactions
So I understand 2x your framerate is the magic number, but let's say you're shooting 4k/24fps, can you really tell the difference between 1/50 and 1/60 shutter? If not, what's the highest usually where there will be a noticeable difference? What about to an untrained eye? If yes, can you provide any examples? just want to know what to look out for.

I have a few ND filters on the way, and don't really want to keep having to change them and was wondering if I can just keep an ND32 or 16 on their if I'm going to be vacation in a sunny tropical climate. Would the difference between 32 and 16 just be 1/50-60? I have a ND64 that's coming with it too, but again just want the least amount of adjusting since I'll be using it on a month long motorbike trip

Edit: also what happens if the shutter is too low? let's say 4k/24fps at 1/20?

Also what's the difference in C4k and regular 4k? assuming it's just the minimum wider resolution?

Also what's the difference in C4k and regular 4k? assuming it's just the minimum wider resolution?
You are correct cinema 4k is a wider aspect ratio that is used for productions using the theatrical 1.85:1 ratio. This is the aspect ratio most films you see in the movie theater are using.

The regular 4k you are referring to is actually UHD which is the TV standard 16x9 aspect ratio. The only difference between the two is indeed the aspect ratio and a few horizontal lines of resolution.

You are correct cinema 4k is a wider aspect ratio that is used for productions using the theatrical 1.85:1 ratio. This is the aspect ratio most films you see in the movie theater are using.

The regular 4k you are referring to is actually UHD which is the TV standard 16x9 aspect ratio. The only difference between the two is indeed the aspect ratio and a few horizontal lines of resolution.

Thanks, any idea what's the highest shutter can be used?

Depends on the look you want, your flying and the subject. You can be shooting a landscape at some distance or with little speed at 1/2000 and it won't be noticeable. But fly fast 1m above ground and that would create an awful "slideshow" effect. Maybe you'd want 1/200 max there, depending on speed.

Then even with some distance and little speed throw in a wheel with sprockets (e.g. following a car) and you'll see the wheel "freeze" which is ugly as well.

2x framerate ensures everything that's moving with some reasonable speed gets motion blur. But then for what you do you might not want that...
There's no "rule" per se. You want to experiment and see what you like.

It really depends on your taste. I used to follow the 2xframerate rule for phantom3. But once I change to mavic and realise sharpness is the most important thing for aerial footage. slow shutter speed could create motion blur which I do not like at all nowadays. So I move the drone slowly in case not create the jittery. If u want faster motion, you can just speed thing up in post.

Reactions: kvn_roberts
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99