DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disconnect Issues

ThisIsCusel

Reactions
Just launched and got about 30 ft away and 80 ft up. App said aircraft disconnected, but controller display looked normal. Mavic became unresponsive, and I am assuming it initiated a RTH because it came back and hovered about 5 ft off the ground above take off.

The entire time the r/c read GPS mode but I had no control. I then restarted the app and controller finally read disconnected instead of GPS. A moment later it reconnected and I regained control. I landed and power cycled everything.

I didn't take off again, but tried several different spots around the yard and the problem persisted. App showed disconnect and about 45 seconds later r/c showed disconnected and flight status indicator blinked rapid yellow.

Is it normal for such a delay between losing connection and the controller displaying it?

Not to mention losing connection from 5 ft away.

I am using samsung note 5 and DJIGo4. I have Go3 installed for osmo mobile. I did delete both and reinstalled go4 only. Waiting for the wife to get home because my 2 year old is awake now. Running out of daylight.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I had trouble with the f/w update but flew on Sunday 3 flights for 45 minutes with no issues after the update.

A lot of disconnect stories seem to involve Android machines. While I've had occasional trouble getting the iPhone to connect, once connected I've had no issues.

Verify your cables - use alternates if available.

My power on sequence is:
RC Controller
Start GO App
Start Mavic
Always the MP last.

Reactions: flightmike
A lot of disconnect stories seem to involve Android machines. While I've had occasional trouble getting the iPhone to connect, once connected I've had no issues.

Verify your cables - use alternates if available.

My power on sequence is:

Can the app have an influence on the r/c ability to connect to mavic?

Can the app have an influence on the r/c ability to connect to mavic?

It shouldn't (IMO) - but who knows. In your post above you said: "App said aircraft disconnected, but controller display looked normal. "

So I'm not 100% clear on what was unresponsive to what.

Went out and tried with the usb to micro usb cable from dji.

Even stranger behavior now.

-App showed aircraft disconnected but r/c remained in control. I brought it back to home point manually and app reconnected on its own. I hovered for a short while with no issues. I cautiously ventured straight out and a warning appeared "braking now! Return sticks to midpoint" OA was not reporting any obstructions. Sunset was about 60 degrees clockwise. I gave full forward input and it would not move. Then I got these symptoms: Driving me crazy.

Also a warning about vps sensors malfunction calibration required popped up after the check app notification appeared on the r/c (maybe because I started flight with enough ambient light but the sun set while I was flying?)

It was definitely not as stable in flight when I brought it back. That leads me to believe vps was not working properly.

Definitely disconcerting. Forecast calls for 2 straight weeks of rain/snowy mix. It may be awhile until I figure out what might be going on.

Went out and tried with the usb to micro usb cable from dji.

Even stranger behavior now.

-App showed aircraft disconnected but r/c remained in control. I brought it back to home point manually and app reconnected on its own. I hovered for a short while with no issues. I cautiously ventured straight out and a warning appeared "braking now! Return sticks to midpoint" OA was not reporting any obstructions. Sunset was about 60 degrees clockwise. I gave full forward input and it would not move. Then I got these symptoms: Driving me crazy.

Also a warning about vps sensors malfunction calibration required popped up after the check app notification appeared on the r/c (maybe because I started flight with enough ambient light but the sun set while I was flying?)

It was definitely not as stable in flight when I brought it back. That leads me to believe vps was not working properly.

Definitely disconcerting. Forecast calls for 2 straight weeks of rain/snowy mix. It may be awhile until I figure out what might be going on.
This is not normal, your controller should be able to control the drone regardless of the apps malfunction.

I thought so. I was certainly rattled when it started flying around by itself (failsafe rth) even though the r/c appeared normal in GPS mode.

I thought so. I was certainly rattled when it started flying around by itself (failsafe rth) even though the r/c appeared normal in GPS mode.

RTH is only as good as:
-its settings
-GPS quality at the Home Point _before_ starting the rotors.

RTH is only as good as:
-its settings
-GPS quality at the Home Point _before_ starting the rotors.

I wouldnt have been worried if I knew it was disconnected as RTH was set and I was above the only tree in the way.

The r/c looked normal and I couldn't see the flight status indicator to determine if it was connected or not. It felt for a moment as if it had a mind of its own.

When it disconnects from r/c is it typical to have a delay of a minute or more before the r/c display indicates it?

I wouldnt have been worried if I knew it was disconnected as RTH was set and I was above the only tree in the way.

The r/c looked normal and I couldn't see the flight status indicator to determine if it was connected or not. It felt for a moment as if it had a mind of its own.

When it disconnects from r/c is it typical to have a delay of a minute or more before the r/c display indicates it?
Have you check your phone USB connector point for any loose connectivity problem?

I checked my warnings. I was watching the bird instead of my phone. I had several geo warnings due to two closed grass strips within a 5 mile range and another active small airport whose 5 mile radius cuts through my back yard. (I have a standing agreement with the fella who runs it) could the new geo alert force a failsafe RTH?

I checked my warnings. I was watching the bird instead of my phone. I had several geo warnings due to two closed grass strips within a 5 mile range and another active small airport whose 5 mile radius cuts through my back yard. (I have a standing agreement with the fella who runs it) could the new geo alert force a failsafe RTH?
Anything can be possible with these things, you make a valid point. I know if you go in these areas the drone can quit responding and automatically land.
Regards,
-d.

Anything can be possible with these things, you make a valid point. I know if you go in these areas the drone can quit responding and automatically land.
Regards,
-d.
Yes. Reports of autolanding and loss of control input when in NFZ's are out there.

I've done some more tests and I don't think nfz is the issue (in case anyone is interested)

I seem to lose remote connection about 2 minutes into each flight. Today I was at work about 15 miles from home.

I set RTH to hover and didn't ever go more than 20 ft.

I reflashed the firmware (dji assistant 2) and problem persisted.

I also had to manually calibrate vps as the dji assistant 2 would not proceed past tutorial 3.

I think I am going to try to downgrade f/w now.

I thought DJI products will not even launch in any NFZ (if launched in GPS modes). Furthermore, they should stop flying if about to enter a NFZ. So why all the concern about Auto-Landing in a NFZ? They shouldn't even be able to GET in one.

Reactions: Rauli Oinonen
I thought DJI products will not even launch in any NFZ (if launched in GPS modes). Furthermore, they should stop flying if about to enter a NFZ. So why all the concern about Auto-Landing in a NFZ? They shouldn't even be able to GET in one.
Because the f/w update had something to do with nfz's. I imagine that most of the discussions you are seeing are just hashing out what exactly has changed.

Reactions: Rauli Oinonen
I have been having disconnect issues as well. Had a scary one the other day. I was in a large church filming and taking pictures of the stained glass windows etc. Even though indoors, I had 13 satellites. I was using a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and had several disconnects and reconnects it disconnected and I could not get it to respond at all. It hovered about 6 ft. off the floor for what seemed like and eternity then suddenly reconnection! I was able to land it. I switched to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. No connection problems while I used that.

Also, if I start up the MP in the house to check firmware, camera settings etc. before going out my wireless in the house goes down and I loose internet! Shut off the MP, controller and phone the internet and wireless come back. WTH?? ANY thoughts anyone?

My current working theory is my 5 wifi signals in my home are interfering with the connection. I took it out to the lake and had no issues.

In my yard I set RTH to hover until I get free and clear of any trees/obstacles.

My current working theory is my 5 wifi signals in my home are interfering with the connection. I took it out to the lake and had no issues.

In my yard I set RTH to hover until I get free and clear of any trees/obstacles.
That is true too, I have a dozen powerful WIFI signals and I have problems getting a good signal within a couple hundred yards of my house, try unplugging your router and seeing if this rectifies the problem.
Regards,
-d.

That is true too, I have a dozen powerful WIFI signals and I have problems getting a good signal within a couple hundred yards of my house, try unplugging your router and seeing if this rectifies the problem.
Regards,
-d.

You try explaining to my 2 year old why she can't watch Paw Patrol on her tablet because Daddy wants to play with his toys. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78