DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 on Android

brett8883

Reactions
I need to know if all android devices are just terrible for DJI Go 4 or if I just bought a bad one.

I got the galaxy tab A (2016) for the sole purpose of running DJI GO 4 with Mavic Pro. Never owned an android before so I just assumed the guy at Best Buy knew what he was talking about. He said this would be fine if all I was gonna use it for was DJI Go 4.

However, there’s a terrible lag and stuttering happening with the video feed. I switched back to iPhone.

Anybody got any advice for an iOS expert that knows jack about android? Did I just get a bad device?

Reactions: brett8883
Tab E won't work well either. Something on it blocks Go from obtaining access to the USB. If you reboot the E, you have a few seconds before the app can't get the USB, but usually it takes a bit longer for the app to sense the USB.

I appreciate all the advice.

One thing on iOS I really like is when I swipe up into full screen mode I can still see the map. If I don’t want it I can switch the map to radar and then to full screen and it goes away.

I notice on the Android version of DJI Go 4 that neither the map nor radar is availible in full screen. Is there a way to change that? Can you go full screen in Litchi on Android?

To tell you the truth I was really surprised at how different Android is in DJI Go to iOS. Some things I like. I like how you can easily change the brightness to “day mode.” Some things I think I can get use to.
However, there are some things I don’t think I can get use to. When I click on something there is a definite delay in the OS and I’m often not sure if it was actually pressed so I try again only to find out it had been pressed and me clicking it again actually negated the action and I have to do it again. Sometimes this cycle has happened multiple times before I get it right.

Is there anybody else that has used DJI Go on iOS for a long time and then switched to Android? Where you able to get use to it?

S9+ works great ...

One thing on iOS I really like is when I swipe up into full screen mode I can still see the map. If I don’t want it I can switch the map to radar and then to full screen and it goes away.

I notice on the Android version of DJI Go 4 that neither the map nor radar is availible in full screen. Is there a way to change that? Can you go full screen in Litchi on Android?

To tell you the truth I was really surprised at how different Android is in DJI Go to iOS. Some things I like. I like how you can easily change the brightness to “day mode.” Some things I think I can get use to.
However, there are some things I don’t think I can get use to. When I click on something there is a definite delay in the OS and I’m often not sure if it was actually pressed so I try again only to find out it had been pressed and me clicking it again actually negated the action and I have to do it again. Sometimes this cycle has happened multiple times before I get it right.

Is there anybody else that has used DJI Go on iOS for a long time and then switched to Android? Where you able to get use to it?
Thats your tab its outdated

I use android on Huawei media tab 3 ... no any problems
(must keep in mind that on android the owner is the ruler, so any permissions required by apps must be granted by user...)
check out in settings - apps - djigo4 - permissions whether it has granted all required permissions. also kill any other apps on background when flying
The ideal (that is what i do) is to have root access and uninstall all unnecessare stuf on a device such this, that you gona use for one specific purpose - one can get valuable system resources, cpu speed and battery life increased doing it

I need to know if all android devices are just terrible for DJI Go 4 or if I just bought a bad one.

I got the galaxy tab A (2016) for the sole purpose of running DJI GO 4 with Mavic Pro. Never owned an android before so I just assumed the guy at Best Buy knew what he was talking about. He said this would be fine if all I was gonna use it for was DJI Go 4.

However, there’s a terrible lag and stuttering happening with the video feed. I switched back to iPhone.

Anybody got any advice for an iOS expert that knows jack about android? Did I just get a bad device?

Strange ... On my Android phone I just touch the map in the bottom left corner and it pops into full screen ... (I'm using an Android Huawei P10 pro phone).

Strange ... On my Android phone I just touch the map in the bottom left corner and it pops into full screen ... (I'm using an Android Huawei P10 pro phone).

Like swipe somewhere not in the corner with the map to give you the view from the aircraft without all the telemetry details and menus and junk. I like being able to see the full view from the drone AND the little map in the corner nothing else.

I use android on Huawei media tab 3 ... no any problems
(must keep in mind that on android the owner is the ruler, so any permissions required by apps must be granted by user...)
check out in settings - apps - djigo4 - permissions whether it has granted all required permissions. also kill any other apps on background when flying
The ideal (that is what i do) is to have root access and uninstall all unnecessare stuf on a device such this, that you gona use for one specific purpose - one can get valuable system resources, cpu speed and battery life increased doing it

Yea I just rooted earlier today gonna try one last time tomorrow. Do you think it’s a good idea to upgrade it to Oreo now that I have root? It’s on lollipop now. I figure that could just as easily make it worse. I’m literally learning all this stuff about Android that I didn’t know nor care to know till today lol.

Btw you couldn’t imagine how hard it was to find the the right ROM for this device. Who ever at Samsung comes up for the names of its products should be shot.

Reactions: afarkas
DJI Go 4 runs on Android just like it does on iOS.
If the tablet isn't up to the job, it will be a disappointing experience.

I dont think Oreo will make it worse.If compared to lollipop, oreo has much more improved system resources (ab)using ... so switching to oreo can help.
If you are on your way to install a custom OS, find some minimal one, without too much bloatware.

and if you succeed to run this tab smooth and will be ok for you, check out Tasker and see what can it do for you.
Configured on my tablet, as soon as DJI is launched, tasker puts the screen brightness on max, turns GPS on, Kills all other apps running in background and freezes (disables) other alternative pilot apps (dji pilot, litche etc), puts to lvl 0 all volumes except the media volume.
Once dji go is shut down, reverts everything back to original.
(root needed)

Android version names are imposed by Google, not samsung or other device makers... Google is the godfather of the OS

But if its an old hardware (i dont know, i do not watch samsung since some years) it is possible it just can not run djigo properly because of hardware limitations (not fast enough cpu, not enough RAM etc) ...
You will see.
My Huawei with Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53 and 3GB RAM is good enough

Yea I just rooted earlier today gonna try one last time tomorrow. Do you think it’s a good idea to upgrade it to Oreo now that I have root? It’s on lollipop now. I figure that could just as easily make it worse. I’m literally learning all this stuff about Android that I didn’t know nor care to know till today lol.

Btw you couldn’t imagine how hard it was to find the the right ROM for this device. Who ever at Samsung comes up for the names of its products should be shot.

Last edited:

This must be frustrating, I use a galaxy S8 and have no problems especially since I began connecting the phone to the usb on the bottom of the RC, the difference was immediate.

Hi I'm new to all this and had the same problem. I looked at a lt of reviews on ipads and wasn't keep. I then came across the huawel media pad m5 with the 8.4 inch screen in my opinion it knocks the spots off the ipads. It's run on android its a 32cb with ram of 4gb I got mine from argos for £289 and I would recommend to anybody and the spec is mind blowing. I'm also sure amazon sell them.

You can get used to anything. I switched from iPhone to Android and I haven't encountered anything too severe.

I lack that I can't turn off the charging phone option on Android.

Nonetheless it is frustrating that the app is not optimized for Android.

I am really leaning towards the Smart Controller, but the price thou [emoji27]

Yes, you can turn it off, but not directly from dji go app, but you need to install an other app to do it.
get the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slash.batterychargelimit
this one also is triggered by tasker when dji go launch in my setup

You can get used to anything. I switched from iPhone to Android and I haven't encountered anything too severe.

I lack that I can't turn off the charging phone option on Android.

Nonetheless it is frustrating that the app is not optimized for Android.

I am really leaning towards the Smart Controller, but the price thou [emoji27]

I also tried the DJI GO 4 app on a Galaxy Tab A 2016 and didn't work.

I am now running it on an a Huawei MediaTab M5 10'', also an Android tablet, and runs very well. I am assuming the 7'' version would work as well. The only issue with the MediaTab was, it couldn't update the latest controller firmware. I had to connect the controller on my phone for that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa