DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 on Android

I dont think Oreo will make it worse.If compared to lollipop, oreo has much more improved system resources (ab)using ... so switching to oreo can help.
If you are on your way to install a custom OS, find some minimal one, without too much bloatware.

and if you succeed to run this tab smooth and will be ok for you, check out Tasker and see what can it do for you.
Configured on my tablet, as soon as DJI is launched, tasker puts the screen brightness on max, turns GPS on, Kills all other apps running in background and freezes (disables) other alternative pilot apps (dji pilot, litche etc), puts to lvl 0 all volumes except the media volume.
Once dji go is shut down, reverts everything back to original.
(root needed)

Android version names are imposed by Google, not samsung or other device makers... Google is the godfather of the OS

But if its an old hardware (i dont know, i do not watch samsung since some years) it is possible it just can not run djigo properly because of hardware limitations (not fast enough cpu, not enough RAM etc) ...
You will see.
My Huawei with Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53 and 3GB RAM is good enough

Cool thanks! I’ll give it a shot

Hi I'm new to all this and had the same problem. I looked at a lt of reviews on ipads and wasn't keep. I then came across the huawel media pad m5 with the 8.4 inch screen in my opinion it knocks the spots off the ipads. It's run on android its a 32cb with ram of 4gb I got mine from argos for £289 and I would recommend to anybody and the spec is mind blowing. I'm also sure amazon sell them.
What is the brightness of it, compared to the others you mentioned, in NITS.

Tab E won't work well either. Something on it blocks Go from obtaining access to the USB. If you reboot the E, you have a few seconds before the app can't get the USB, but usually it takes a bit longer for the app to sense the USB.
Hmm, I got a Tab E a couple days ago, did some preliminary static testing/setup (in house only so far) and did not have any trouble. When the weather finally settles down here I'll go out and give it a more detailed try.

mine was not able to update anything... updated all via assistant

I also tried the DJI GO 4 app on a Galaxy Tab A 2016 and didn't work.

I am now running it on an a Huawei MediaTab M5 10'', also an Android tablet, and runs very well. I am assuming the 7'' version would work as well. The only issue with the MediaTab was, it couldn't update the latest controller firmware. I had to connect the controller on my phone for that.

I need to know if all android devices are just terrible for DJI Go 4 or if I just bought a bad one.

I got the galaxy tab A (2016) for the sole purpose of running DJI GO 4 with Mavic Pro. Never owned an android before so I just assumed the guy at Best Buy knew what he was talking about. He said this would be fine if all I was gonna use it for was DJI Go 4.

However, there’s a terrible lag and stuttering happening with the video feed. I switched back to iPhone.

Anybody got any advice for an iOS expert that knows jack about android? Did I just get a bad device?

That tablet is too slow for a good GO4 experience, in my opinion. It's also not on DJI's approved list.

I own many mobile devices including the Smart Controller and use iOS and Android side-by-side to fly my drones. The only crashes/issues/stutters I have ever experienced were incidentally on iOS (iPhone 8, iPad Mini 2 Retina - haven't tried with my iPad Pro 11" yet). Flying with a Google Pixel XL2 and Google Pixel XL3 I have had absolutely zero problems with the GO4 App. The GO4 apps themselves are identical, there is nothing to get used to really between the two operating systems.

The impression I get from having read many threads like this is that a lot of people do not follow DJI's recommendations and end up with the cheapest hardware they can buy (which no doubt is very tempting when you can get a 8" screen for under $100), often times making it too slow to properly run the DJI GO4 app, then blame it on Android. If you buy an Android device with similar performing hardware to the comparable Apple device, you get same experience. If you buy a 3 year old Android device that is too slow to run the app smoothly, you are going to have a bad time. Alternatively, if you use an Apple device that is too old or too slow, you run into the exact same performance related issues.

Reactions: Meta4
Nonetheless it is frustrating that the app is not optimized for Android.
The app runs perfectly on Android ... as long as you have a good device to run it on.
It's the same with Apple.
The problem is that the app is not optimised for low performance devices.
What is the brightness of it, compared to the others you mentioned, in NITS.
According to specs it's 401 nits.
It's about the same brightness as most tablets so a shady tree is good on bright sunny days.

I use the LGV 40 andriod phone for drone flying and everyday use. It has 5 cameras on it so I can take drone photos and phone photos. And don't carry a lot of gear. No problems with running the app so far.

I also tried the DJI GO 4 app on a Galaxy Tab A 2016 and didn't work.

I am now running it on an a Huawei MediaTab M5 10'', also an Android tablet, and runs very well. I am assuming the 7'' version would work as well. The only issue with the MediaTab was, it couldn't update the latest controller firmware. I had to connect the controller on my phone for that.
I have a Galaxy Tab A w/S-Pen (SM-P580) and DJI GO 4 works flawlessly on it in the 2 weeks I've used it (about 8 full battery flights). It appears the only hardware difference is 3GB RAM for the P580 vs 2GB RAM for the T580. This tablet is also used for work (Outlook email/calendar, OneNote, Gmail, etc). Pretty awesome tablet for the price.

I recently installed Battery Charge Limit [ROOT] to prevent the RC from charging the tablet (and also works great). The tablet is hooked up to RC via the USB port under the RC (USB Type A).

Tablet is running Samsung's Android 8.1 and is rooted. I was pretty nervous about running this tablet with DJI GO 4 after reading many threads about Android tablet fails. Was pleasantly surprised.

Let me know if I can provide any further info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian