DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

FYI. S7 edge 100% reliable when using bottom usb to phone cable. A bit uncomfortable with the phone end hanging out but I've ordered a right angled cable to solve that. I've retried the supplied cable each flight with disconnect issues, switch to new bottom cable - no problem.

In from Perth. Got my Mavic Pro through these guys AUS-Cameras - Low Prices. Australia Wide Delivery though suspect I paid a premium price...ordered it on a Wednesday, got it the following Monday...pretty quick, and happy so far (though I suspect its a Chinese company masquerading as Aussie!!

you could be right about that company I looked at that site about Oct last year and if you do a google maps you will find that address is a coffee/lunch shop, but it could be done through the shop, I decided not to go with them, but you did get very quick service.

Hi all,
Just purchased a Mavic on the Gold Coast - chosen for it's size and performance, specifically so I can use it for work interstate (carry-on hand luggage rather than have something damaged / destroyed by Baggage Handlers).
Been using a Yuneec Typhoon 4k for a couple of years now with excellent results but I am now very impressed with the Mavic, after a number of test flights - not so impressed with DJI or their email reply service (the reason I was decided to originally buy the Yuneec rather than a Phantom in the first place, based on friend's PS3 experiences).
Just wondering if anyone knows when / if the Geofence System will reach Australia ? According to the DJI map (last consulted this afternoon), there are no "No fly zones" at all here (no Red, Yellow, Green Zones or pins that I could find after extensive searching) - I guess that means Geofence only works in the States and nothing can be "unlocked" here ? - (Australia doesn't even come up in the "Country" search box on this particular map)
So as I planned to use the Mavic for work, keeping well within the CASA rules but just inside several of DJI's other "No Fly Zone" map coloured zones, it seems I may have just bought a $2200 Brick or an expensive new toy for the kids to use on camping holidays.
Yuneec were brilliant with regard to unlocking the Typhoon - replied within 48hrs with a workable solution (after I supplied all my details etc) but so far, absolutely nothing from DJI - not even a "NO" when I asked if there was anyway certain areas could be unlocked in Australia, with authorisation. Might just be in the too hard basket for them - and I guess the few sales they make to "Colonials" (compared with the States) they may not even bother with the Geofence System here ?
I still live in hope though.

Hi Mando,
I'm also on the Gold Coast and have had my mavic for a month or so, but haven't really had a chance get some serious flying in.
I use the app "Are You adage To Fly YourDrone" it has a lot of info from CASA.
Might help, but could be off the mark.
Cheers, Fausto

New Mavic Owner from Sydney checking in.

I'm an avid photographer, snowboarder, mountain biker and surfer so the mavic ticked a lot of boxes for me.

I'd originally been looking at the P3 and Karma (dodged that bullet) and then I saw the first video for the mavic launch.

I preordered mine the week of the launch from Camzilla. But I was way down the queue, received a call on the 21/2 saying mine was in. However I'd cashed out my money set aside as it had been such a wait and used it on a holiday. So they let me drop back to first in line for next batch!

Got a call on Wednesday saying they had another one ready.

Interesting learning curve during setup that I won't go into here. I've come from a limited background of RC plane and Copters.

Anyway I'm up and flying now

21c706a55bdda552df58b4cef0694442.jpg

foxpuppet, welcome, that cloud sure looks angry :) and you seem to have lost the colour in that shot ;);)

Hi peoples, I decided I wanted a mavic on Tuesday night and went and picked one up on wednesday morn from johnny Appleseed at rocklea. No preordering or waiting for the post man. They had them in stock.

I grabbed the flymore pack. I've got 3hrsflight time up on the mavic now and absolutely love it. I've always had an interest in Rv helli's but never been able to keep one in tact for longer than an hour.

The mavic is soo easy to fly but don't get me wrong you still need to be sensible and on the ball.

Anyway I'm out Ipswich way soo if anyone out that way want to talk mavic' shot me up

Reactions: stratos
Hi peoples, I decided I wanted a mavic on Tuesday night and went and picked one up on wednesday morn from johnny Appleseed at rocklea. No preordering or waiting for the post man. They had them in stock.

I grabbed the flymore pack. I've got 3hrsflight time up on the mavic now and absolutely love it. I've always had an interest in Rv helli's but never been able to keep one in tact for longer than an hour.

The mavic is soo easy to fly but don't get me wrong you still need to be sensible and on the ball.

Anyway I'm out Ipswich way soo if anyone out that way want to talk mavic' shot me up

I was the same. Decided one morning and in an hour was charging the batteries. Elk Fish Robotics in Fremantle Western Australia.

I was the same. Decided one morning and in an hour was charging the batteries. Elk Fish Robotics in Fremantle Western Australia.
Makes me feel sorry for all the people that have preordered and still waiting.NOT I was just lucky that johnny Appleseed isn't really well known for drones and had them in stock

foxpuppet, welcome, that cloud sure looks angry :) and you seem to have lost the colour in that shot ;);)

Yeah photoshop to BW as I had blown out the colour with bad setting choices.

Sydney weather has been atrocious for a new pilot, have to time flights just right to miss rain.

Managed a good few flights in my home suburb today testing RTH, max alititude warning and set myself a 500m flight radius boundary to test the GPS warnings.

933752b483945e9c471b1aa8d4147099.jpg

673f23e52f2331f2daaa044732bd20ac.jpg

Makes me feel sorry for all the people that have preordered and still waiting.NOT I was just lucky that johnny Appleseed isn't really well known for drones and had them in stock

Same here, I was looking at a number of options for a small drone with a decent camera, specifically for taking by plane as (carefully carried hand luggage) to work sites.
After heaps of phone calls allover the country chasing a Mavic (the best that I could see from all my research) and having people want my Credit card details so I could just get onto a waiting list, I walked into JB HiFi on the Gold Coast and there they were, sitting on the shelf. Was up and flying within the hour.
Funnily enough, a week later I had to go to Toyworld and they had them in stock as well.
Must say that I am very impressed with the flight characteristics and video / photo quality.

Hi Mando,
I'm also on the Gold Coast and have had my mavic for a month or so, but haven't really had a chance get some serious flying in.
I use the app "Are You adage To Fly YourDrone" it has a lot of info from CASA.
Might help, but could be off the mark.
Cheers, Fausto
Hi Fausto,
I have a Pilot's Licence, so I have and use the relevant VTC (Visual Terminal Charts) and the Airfield details out of the ERSA (EnRoute Suppliment Australia) and Wicked Copter's "Safe to Fly" app (pretty good but it may not have been updated for a while). These determine the current location of Controlled Airspace and the location, orientation, height and Comms of all (well, most) of all of the airfields / strips in Australia.
You can access most of these from the AIP (Aeronautical Information Package) on the CASA website - free.
When in doubt, I also consult Google Earth for images of where I intend to fly (although for my work and intended use of the Mavic, these areas are rather large construction projects with heaps of room to fly and still keep well within the CASA location, clear distance and height rules - although not outside of DJI's assumed No Fly Zones, that are seemingly around everything that even resembles a neatly mowed strip of grass, so I have had some issues with the old "Cannot Fly" message).
Hope to catch up with you flying sometime on the Coast.
Cheers

Hi Barney,
The Wicked Copters "Safe to Fly" app seems to work well, but may not be 100% up to date.
I believe that it's only for IOS at the moment - their website says an Android version will be coming soon. CASA are going to launch their own App very shortly I understand.
Cheers

Hi Barney,
The Wicked Copters "Safe to Fly" app seems to work well, but may not be 100% up to date.
I believe that it's only for IOS at the moment - their website says an Android version will be coming soon. CASA are going to launch their own App very shortly I understand.
Cheers
Understand that the 'Safe to Fly' does not have the the areas set correctly from movement areas not centre of airport

Does anyone know where I can find maps of CASA controlled airspace locations?

Just curios to know where I can legally/safely fly over the 120m height limit.

New to the flying world. Bought a Hubsan X4 to muck around with before the Mavic arrived.

Came in last week, thought I would be waiting for a while longer. Not complaining though :)

Off to Thailand in 3 weeks. Lets see how we go.

Anyone know of issues with flying with 2 x spare batteries and one in the Mavic? Can you pack or do you need to put in carry on?

Thanks
Tim

carry on is recommend but you should always check with your carrier and make sure you tell them that the batteries are only charged to 20% they do not kike fully charged batts on aircraft. enjoy your trip

Reactions: Tim M

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure