DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

Can you point me to any published map from CASA that shows this precisely?
You can get maps from places like OzRunways by subscription.

There is some free apps like UAVForecast but they are not always up-to-date.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You can get maps from places like OzRunways by subscription.

There is some free apps like UAVForecast but they are not always up-to-date.

Thanks Buddy I get.
And I am not challenging that one area or not is restricted.

My point here is that its not clear and not directly available to anyone which are the restricted areas. There are many pilots here that area eager to play by the rules, but if the rules are not clear well, good luck everyone will just try to fly with good judgement.

Casa rules are straight forward and do NOT mention anything about NOT flying in the Harbour as being a restricted area.

Thanks Buddy I get.
And I am not challenging that one area or not is restricted.

My point here is that its not clear and not directly available to anyone which are the restricted areas. There are many pilots here that area eager to play by the rules, but if the rules are not clear well, good luck everyone will just try to fly with good judgement.

Casa rules are straight forward and do NOT mention anything about NOT flying in the Harbour as being a restricted area.
I do agree the rules are not clear and are confusing to read.

I don't think CASA provide information about restricted airspace on their website. Hopefully they app they are building has the information and in a easily understandable format.

Reactions: stratos
Mate this doesn't mean anything AT ALL to the normal hobbyist pilot.
Well fill you boots then - plead ignorance because it in not displayed as a map on the website. But as the drone is an aircraft I can assure you that is does, hobbyist or not. Quote all you want about hobbyist drones and Controlled, Non Controlled airspace and distance from airports. It has no relevance when it comes to Prohibited, Restricted or Danger areas PRDs. They gazump all else.
And my point still valid, this is NOT clearly stated ANYWHERE in CASA website.
It does not need to be on a website to be a rule. But the information is in fact available on their website

Have a read of Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority The advisory information therein will direct you to AC101-3 for model aircraft (and recreational drone use) ie you the Hobbyist.

Ferret around in there and you find

101.065 Operation in prohibited or restricted area (1)
A person must not operate an unmanned aircraft in or over a prohibited area, or in or over a restricted area, except with the permission of, and in accordance with any conditions imposed by, the authority controlling the area. Penalty: 25 penalty units.

I don't necessarily think it is a great rule, but one cannot deny it exists.

Last edited:
Well fill you boots then - plead ignorance because it in not displayed as a map on the website. But as the drone is an aircraft I can assure you that is does, hobbyist or not. Quote all you want about hobbyist drones and Controlled, Non Controlled airspace and distance from airports. It has no relevance when it comes to Prohibited, Restricted or Danger areas PRDs. They gazump all else.

It does not need to be on a website to be a rule. But the information is in fact available on their website

Have a read of Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority The advisory information therein will direct you to AC101-3 for model aircraft (and recreational drone use) ie you the Hobbyist.

A person must not operate an unmanned aircraft in or over a prohibited area, or in or over a restricted area, except with the permission of, and in accordance with any conditions imposed by, the authority controlling the area. Penalty: 25 penalty units.

Thanks for you contribution here. My point here is, that in order to keep our hobby and better inform all new hobby drone fliers this information needs to be very very clear in CASA which they are not.

I agree buddy. Where are the "Restricted / Prohibited areas" delimited that can be understood by everyone?
Any link?

I don't know but hopefully your "Grey Area" with regard to Sydney harbour has become a bit more Black and White now.

While we await CASA to depict things on their website in a clearer manner for RPA pilots, their page at CASA OnTrack may be of use. Select the airport in your region then outbound or inbound (doesn't matter which) and the underlying map will overlay with the appropriate terminal chart showing airspace types and P R and D areas in magenta.

G'Day Oz! Greetings from Arizona - am heading down for annual trip next month bringing my MP with me - can't wait to get out in the open spaces (Kemspey, NSW area) and all those interesting targets, sorry local fauna to investigate, although it is pretty wide open here in the desert (Casa Grande). Looking forward to finding lots of local comments once I get there. Happy Flying!!!

I don't know but hopefully your "Grey Area" with regard to Sydney harbour has become a bit more Black and White now.

While we await CASA to depict things on their website in a clearer manner for RPA pilots, their page at CASA OnTrack may be of use. Select the airport in your region then outbound or inbound (doesn't matter which) and the underlying map will overlay with the appropriate terminal chart showing airspace types and P R and D areas in magenta.
well its not "my" grey area. Its actually CASA grey area for not properly setting and informing the rules.
Im cool with following rules which are:
a) Clear
b) not contradictory
c) mutually exclusive
d) easy find and consolidated in a clear easy way for everyone to understand

Hi All,

I'm in Brisbane and have my mavic on pre-order. Quickest I can get it at the moment is from JB. I fly out overseas in the first week of march so I am super keen to get it before hand to 1. claim the gst back and 2. because I'm a first time flyer I need to learn to pilot the thing before I go...

Thanks

Ordered mine on the 27 october for a december arrival then got delayed till march, cancelled order and ordered straight from dji and got it within 7 days tracking included and am based in melbourne.

Sent from my SM-G930F using MavicPilots mobile app

I felt like we should have one central location for Australian Mavic Flyers, so that we don't feel so isolated.

So, Aussie flyers, introduce yourself, state where you are from and feel free to ask or comment on anything DJI Mavic.

I'm from Adelaide by the way.
Western Sydney Here, Hello!

Hey from Newcastle.
Had the Mavic since November 2016, ordered in October. Use the beast for work and pleasure, and can't fault it.
I use it for TmP's updates and progress of construction on projects. I have flown my unit nearly every day in November when touring Tasmania for two weeks, as well as all over the Hunter Valley.
I had one minor glitch when the gimbal played up, however DJI who I bought from direct, had the unit sent to Melbourne to the authorised repair location, and had the fully repaired unit back flying within 10 days.

Great unit.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Brisbane pilot. Had mine for about 2 weeks now. Must say it worries me! App disconnects randomly. Had a 5 min flight which I ended 120m straight above me, 18 satellites full connect - next second nothing!!! Wtf? Continued to drop in and out had to manually land. Checked everything no issues.

Brisbane pilot. Had mine for about 2 weeks now. Must say it worries me! App disconnects randomly. Had a 5 min flight which I ended 120m straight above me, 18 satellites full connect - next second nothing!!! Wtf? Continued to drop in and out had to manually land. Checked everything no issues.
You wouldn't be using a Android phone would you?

You wouldn't be using a Android phone would you?

S7 edge...yes. Surely DJI have gotten there **** together by now and aren't hiding behind this "android issue" the phones older than the Mavic and almost due a new s8 by now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31