DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

Has anyone heard if DJI or Epson have any updates on the maps situation. Plus has anyone tried flying using the radar screen on bottom left of the screen. Mine seems out by about 60 to 90 degrees, which doesn't seem right?

Reactions: diamond_vision
You can get the brackets on etsy now, instead of shapeways to save some coin.
I wish I had known about getting the brackets on Etsy. I ordered a right and left bracket from Shapeways as part of the same order. I received two right brackets. The individual packages were marked left and right respectively but there was a right bracket in each package.

I've contacted them and to their credit they are supposed to be sending a free left bracket. Every communication from them about this matter has been extremely apologetic and courteous. However, it makes a bad impression to have my initial order screwed up like this. Not to mention, not being able to use the BT-300's with my Mavic yet.

Confirmed - 5.8ghz android OTG receivers offer low latency video feeds for the BT-300 for us racing quad guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 160
Great to have this forum. Was ready to buy these bt 300 glasses from Amazon to use it with the Mavic. The unexpected conclusion I got from reading this discussion is that although some ops have positive experiences with earlier DJI apps there is now a large group who have bought these expensive toys without having any luck to use them with their drones and the latest DJI apps. Part of the problem seems to be an antiquated version of Android which has no access to the Google play store which I find ridiculous. Any cheap android box has access to Google play store.The hardware seems to be underwhelming with antiquated atom processors (!) and minimum ram. To load certain apps we need an app extractor software tool ? Maps create an issue with many operators because Epson moved away from google maps and has not even checked if what they are selling now with the drone edition actually works ? Sorry Epson, your
A$ 1,200.00 BT 300 drone edition does not sound like a decent and fully developed product to put it mildly. Looks like you are not getting my money for the time being unless I have totally misunderstood the discussion here.

Great to have this forum. Was ready to buy these bt 300 glasses from Amazon to use it with the Mavic. The unexpected conclusion I got from reading this discussion is that although some ops have positive experiences with earlier DJI apps there is now a large group who have bought these expensive toys without having any luck to use them with their drones and the latest DJI apps. Part of the problem seems to be an antiquated version of Android which has no access to the Google play store which I find ridiculous. Any cheap android box has access to Google play store.The hardware seems to be underwhelming with antiquated atom processors (!) and minimum ram. To load certain apps we need an app extractor software tool ? Maps create an issue with many operators because Epson moved away from google maps and has not even checked if what they are selling now with the drone edition actually works ? Sorry Epson, your
A$ 1,200.00 BT 300 drone edition does not sound like a decent and fully developed product to put it mildly. Looks like you are not getting my money for the time being unless I have totally misunderstood the discussion here.

To be honest most of what you have said here is actually not valid.

I will follow up with a full detail of explanation a little later today to explain all current concerns and operation of the BT-300. The short answer is that the BT-300 works like a champ and I only fly the Mavic using BT-300.

The maps issue is related to DJI moving to here maps on the later versions of their DJI apps and Epson is having issues with the change over which they are working with DJI to resolve.

Reactions: avanti1963
IMG_0113.JPG Honestly I can't imagine flying with out the bt300 now. The map issue does suck and I REALLY hope it's resolved soon. I've been using the radar until they get it worked out. One thing not mention it's the strange looks you get from random people passing by

View attachment 9758 Honestly I can't imagine flying with out the bt300 now. The map issue does suck and I REALLY hope it's resolved soon. I've been using the radar until they get it worked out. One thing not mention it's the strange looks you get from random people passing by
Agreed the map issue sucks! But I haven't noticed the weird looks. Probably as I have the Rochester shades on most times.
Is your radar aligned to true north? Mine always appears to be out , unless I'm completely misunderstanding its use??

To be honest most of what you have said here is actually not valid.

I will follow up with a full detail of explanation a little later today to explain all current concerns and operation of the BT-300. The short answer is that the BT-300 works like a champ and I only fly the Mavic using BT-300.

The maps issue is related to DJI moving to here maps on the later versions of their DJI apps and Epson is having issues with the change over which they are working with DJI to resolve.
Thank You, that would be helpful !
Glasses are the only way to fly drones in bright sunlight conditions like here in Australia. No mobile phone/tablet is bright enough and screen shades are not that great either. For good photography and video you need to see clearly what the camera sees.
However, for something which costs as much as the Mavic it has to work flawlessly out of the box, there should be no argument about it. It also has to be sort of future proof and it should be a breeze to update new DJI apps because that is what is going to happen very frequently. If Epson has a FPV/Drone edition you would expect that there is some liaison taking place between Epson and DJI regarding changes like maps. Changing maps is a process, not an overnight decision. Epson pointing fingers at DJI is not good enough.
The simple and straight question I have I suppose is, if I order the BT 300 glasses today can I use them out of the box on my Mavic with the latest DJI Go 4 and latest Lichi apps without having to resort to workarounds of any sort ?

Reactions: stratos
Thank You, that would be helpful !
Glasses are the only way to fly drones in bright sunlight conditions like here in Australia. No mobile phone/tablet is bright enough and screen shades are not that great either. For good photography and video you need to see clearly what the camera sees.
However, for something which costs as much as the Mavic it has to work flawlessly out of the box, there should be no argument about it. It also has to be sort of future proof and it should be a breeze to update new DJI apps because that is what is going to happen very frequently. If Epson has a FPV/Drone edition you would expect that there is some liaison taking place between Epson and DJI regarding changes like maps. Changing maps is a process, not an overnight decision. Epson pointing fingers at DJI is not good enough.
The simple and straight question I have I suppose is, if I order the BT 300 glasses today can I use them out of the box on my Mavic with the latest DJI Go 4 and latest Lichi apps without having to resort to workarounds of any sort ?
the answer to the last question is i am afraid no. But u can use them with the older DJIGO 4 version 4.0.2 without a workaround. if u want the latest version u have to sideload it and litchi app is not on the Moverio app store yet so u have to sideload that too. BTW litchi does not work with the latest Mavic pro FW. there is an interoperability issue but that's nothing to do with the glasses.

the answer to the last question is i am afraid no. But u can use them with the older DJIGO 4 version 4.0.2 without a workaround. if u want the latest version u have to sideload it and litchi app is not on the Moverio app store yet so u have to sideload that too. BTW litchi does not work with the latest Mavic pro FW. there is an interoperability issue but that's nothing to do with the glasses.
Thanks for the straight answer. I will wait for the BT 400 or hopefully DJI will get their glasses going.

Thanks for the straight answer. I will wait for the BT 400 or hopefully DJI will get their glasses going.

Sorry for the late reply back on my original reply to you. Here is the basic breakdown of the BT-300 and what I have so far found while working with the glasses for the last month. I did some research on these glasses prior to purchase and I wanted something that I could see through while still being able to see the view from Mavic. I know DJI is going to release their own goggles but theirs looks to be strictly a fully enclosed goggle which I have already experienced from other manufacturers and have not liked. It is 100% enclosed and you have no sense of whats going on around you including what controls you may need access to. When I use the BT-300 I am able to very easily look AROUND my glasses at anytime while still being able to see the Mavic's view and itself in the sky directly through the glasses. It also does not make you feel dizzy if you use it for a long period of time like the fully enclosed goggles tend to do to most people.

The direct app issues relating to Google Play store is related to Google themselves NOT allowing Epson to gain access to it since their is no OFFICIAL category for the glass devices. I have heard rumors that Google will eventually setup such category but I would not hold my breath. Because of that you can still fully access a legit app store through Amazon app marketplace and the Epson Movario store. Both of which (mainly Amazon) have a lot of app selections that can be directly loaded onto the BT-300.

The DJI Go apps (Go original and Go 4 for the newer drones) are both available in the Epson store. BUT they are an older version which supports the original Google maps that DJI offered with the older copies. But DJI recently changed over to the "Here maps" on the newer versions of the Go and Go 4 apps and the BT-300 has had a compatibility issue with the new map system. This is an issue ONLY on the Epson device but they have stated they are working closely with DJI to resolve the problem in order to be able to use the newer versions of the apps and still have full access to "Here maps". Once the fix is made available, they would have the latest versions of the Go and Go 4 apps directly available for download from the Epson Store on the BT-300.

The side loading of apps which others have talked about sounds like a huge hassle and scary, but it is actually nothing more than using the built in browser of the BT-300 and directly downloading the application APK and installing it onto the device. This is all done using the BT-300. for example in order to download the latest version of the DJI go 4.0.5 app, you would just type the URL in the browser and click install. You are done and 99% functional on the latest app with only 1 issue. The maps feature does not work because of the stated reason above. At first I thought this would be a deal breaker and there is no way I would want to use this device. But what I realized is that you have FULL GPS lock and proper RTH GPS data. The only thing you don't have is the map view. I am still able to fly and see and have full access to everything else expect I cannot see a map overlay.

With that said. After using the BT-300 to fly the Mavic and having used the iPad mini 4 AND the iPhone 7 Plus, I could not see myself using any of those devices over BT-300 since it is by far a much more pleasant experience and also much easier to fly with. I also know I would not be using the DJI goggles once released since it is a fully enclosed setup AND not legal with the FAA to fly with since you would no longer have line of sight of the drone.

Next is waiting on BT-400. I would not expect anything new from them for another year since the BT-300 just recently started shipping. I would expect any and all of the current issues to be resolve way before anything new is ever released.

Would I like to see a cleaner access to the latest DJI 4 app? Yes, BUT the workaround is so simple and is just a URL step away with minimal negative effect which will be resolved. The access to Litchi app is not a BT-300 issue but a Mavic Pro firmware issue. You cannot (should not) use the Litchi app with the latest Mavic Firmware as stated on their site. So even if you use an Android or iOS device, there are compatibility issues for both Autopilot and Litchi with those devices and not just the BT-300.

Again. Waiting is not a bad thing if you want to not deal with any of the issues I have stated above. BUT also keep in mind most devices at some point or another will have issues and most of the time these issues are resolved through software updates. I believe the benefits of using this device even with some feature/s missing is much better than not using it at all. I also recommend experiencing this on your own by taking advantage of Amazon's 30 day return policy (as long as you buy it directly through them and not a 3rd party seller.) But if you do, keep an open mind that what I have stated above is something you are going to run into but the fixe is easy and worth it IMHO.

Also I am in no way affiliated with Epson. I just happen to buy the product to experience it myself to see if it really was worth it and after the initial (missing feature experience) and finding the solution through such a great forum, I was able to make a decision that this was a right choice for me and worth keeping to use with my Mavic.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Any new comments/updates on the BT-300's ? Situation improved? I bought any, landing on Fri but, always prefer my toys work and they should, at least on the 2nd try :).

Looking to get 1 of these for the mavic. Got no idea how comfy they are.. so if maps don't work, does the radar work for homing?

The radar and RTH work fine.
That's good. Seems not available in blackhole EU..what's the difference between standard version and drone version? Does this pad thingy fit the mavic tx or adapter needed for this? Prob will order from US then.

Hi, the difference between the standard and drone version is the drone version comes with the DJI app loaded and a set of the much needed Rochester optical polarized shades. ($99) It has DJI mount for the phantom and inspire type controller, but not the mavic. You can order the mavic mount on eBay, etsy (cheapest and fastest), or shapeways.

Enjoy, you are going to love these glasses.

Uh-oh! My sticky finger just hit "buy" on amazon.. just to confirm in the package i see only 1 shade, no mentioning of rochester? Anyone has a link to the correct set?

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundtekk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman