DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Everyone should try flying indoors

Flying indoors is no big deal, if you are prepared and careful. My first 5 flights were indoors. I read the manual several times so I knew what to expect. My basement was well-lit and I had a good patterned rug on the floor. The Mavic alternated between good GPS lock and OPTI mode. It was rock steady.

Any of parrot mini drones are good for flying indoors. Able to fly on raining days when I want to fly the mavic but can't
Oh, and I forgot to mention you can crash over and over again with no damage to objects or the drone. The included prop guards add an extra measure of protection.

DO NOT try flying indoors, prop-guards or not! Unless you have a VERY BIG indoor venue, you are flirting with danger/damage. Unless you have a very specific reason to fly indoors (Wedding photography at a LARGE venue, well away from guests and participants or indoor architectural videoing, etc) there is just no reason I would try it. That is what the micro-drones are for...

I flew mine indoors 2 time last week after having my MP 3 weeks. First flight I was able to get it into Tripod mode and did well. Second time I tried it again but the MP went crazy instantly, didn't even have a chance to go into Tripod. My Mavic now has a battle scar on the left sensor housing lol. Also the gimbal had a vibration error till I seen that it had to be popped back into the cradle. After you crash it once and **** your pants you'll be good lol.

Reactions: metamatic
.....Just once, with prop guards.....So you can get a better feeling of exactly how your surroundings affect the way the drone flies.
You'll find your both blown away from and sucked towards walls, ceilings, doors, windows etc.
I think a lot more users would be a lot more cautious flying under bridges, through tunnels etc then with a lot less damage being caused if they gave this a go at some point.

I for one wont be flying indoors again even though no damage was caused.
Just my two cents.
Don't fly indoors, ever, even with a good reason out to be bored of your bird...

Totally, thats why I said ONCE with PROP GUARDS :)

Even then, I'd not recommend it. Prop guards only help once the Mavic has hit something. At that point the chance of damages with our without the guards is extremely high. Don't have prop guards and hit something, your are going to have a broken prop from the collision. So prop guards are going to help with that. Hit someone with prop guards on and there is a better chance you won't cause an injury... but you were already out of control and hit someone. In both cases the Maxiv is probably going to hit something else (the ground, a table, a chair, etc). Prop guards won't help protect the camera.

If a person wants to fly indoors, they certainly can.... it's your hardware, fly it how you'd like. I just don't recommend it. Weighing the chance of something going wrong and causing damage seems to out weight any benefits.

I'd like to but a NFZ won't let me enjoy the experience inside of my house.

My 2 cents. If you are a noob pilot and the Mavic is the first quad you have ever had...don't fly anywhere except a big field. Away from people and animals.
The rest of you who can fly a manual quad or home built one, hopefully with a Taranis...(you know who you are) feel free to steer wherever your heart desires.
I have no fear that you will crash. Maybe ever. This thing is just too easy to steer. (since you can't go full manual...you just steer it.)

Flown indoors very many times, and do it when I want to discharge the batteries before leaving for the airlines. You really have to try to crash this thing. I normally just bring the drone up, let it hover on its own and surf the web while it is discharging its batteries.

Of course, I used to fly tail rotor equipped helicopters indoors all the time in the past which is where I got my steady hand from. :rolleyes:

I think everyone is just so used to having the MP do everything for them such as steady flight, braking, etc., that when you actually have manual control of the drone, you haven't a clue how to control it. What the OP said is correct, maybe not indoors in a small space but a larger one. Flying a drone is GPS mode is nothing like flying it in OPTI mode. Flying a drone yourself is much harder than having the MP do all the work for you. I enjoy flying a drone is manual mode with only myself controlling it and no systems. I just don't use the Mavic for that lol.

I flew my Syma indoors a lot, pretty fun banging it off just about everything in the house. Then I got the Mavic and decided to try the WiFi mode one night. Learned a valuable skill in the process: drywall repair! Since then I've flown in the big empty garage at work a few times to practice tripod mode, and done a basic "take off and hover" test after a few firmware updates but otherwise the Mavic is strictly used outdoors.

The other problem is being constantly nagged with collision avoidance alarms and RF interference.

I have flown my mavic inside my home many times, sometimes with the prop guards, sometimes without, and I've never had an issue. I turn the collision avoidance off and use it in tripod mode, but you need to be very vigilant and concentrate and be careful of updraft.

Reactions: Palliz
.....Just once, with prop guards.....So you can get a better feeling of exactly how your surroundings affect the way the drone flies.
You'll find your both blown away from and sucked towards walls, ceilings, doors, windows etc.
I think a lot more users would be a lot more cautious flying under bridges, through tunnels etc then with a lot less damage being caused if they gave this a go at some point.

Just my two cents.

During Winter, learned drone flying indoors with first drone UDI 818A. One room with 19 foot ceiling and open to other rooms and going upstairs kept flight interesting. Recommen UDI 818 series 100 %. Its light wt. flexible full guard frame bounced off and fell 18 ft. to floor without damage. Light weight and frame makes it a kite with digital string. As seen on YouTube removed housing and frame, replaced with spray can lid to facilitate flight outdoor.
Agree indoor flying with basic, no frills drone allows more precise flying.

Just my two cents.
I have flown my mavic many times indoor, a few weeks ago in a rather big room, but twit low ambient light i lait a bit contol went into the curtains and straight don onto the concrete floor, idiot me flew without the gimble cover... gimbal plate and gibel ribbon cable destoyed... make sure abmiant lighy ia good and lay of the beers before flight...

Just my two cents.
The issue that I found with indoor flying is that the MP is always trying to get a GPS lock, so it starts as OPTI mode using the optical/sonar sensors, but then if it gets a weak GPS, it will change out of OPTI to ATTI on the way to attempt GPS, during that mode cycling, the MP can be hard to fly. I am considering using some foil to block the GPS so it never switches, but I don't have a safe place to try. Indoor flying is not safe, in my opinion.

I am pretty experienced flying indoors with many $100 manual drones so when I first purchased the Mavic I tried it. What a disaster. I have a large kitchen with high ceilings. I took off from a granite countertop and hovered for a few seconds and then the Mavic went bat crazy. Without me touching anything it just shot directly to the right and crashed into a wall about 15-20 feet away. Lucky for me it wedged itself between a speaker and the wall and there was no damage. Never figured out what happened but I definitely didn't touch anything. I have avoided indoor flying ever since.

- S

Never had a problem flying indoors - remember the Mavic needs to 'recognize' the surface it's flying over & nothing to do with the forward sensors which you can enable as required. Steady as a rock! My 1st ever fly through was way back in Nov 2016 because I was anxious to fly it & it had been raining solid so I couldn't fly it outside.
Confidence in your knowledge of limitations & personal expertise is paramount.....happy flying!

Flying a Mavic indoors is not a good idea. Many Mavic owners have crashed when attempting to do so.
Yep, including me. Ran into a wall and the props screwed it right into the floor breaking all props. Lesson learned.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78