DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal came off post crash

Oh, I don't expect much of anything out of DJI, but it seems like it might be a worthy "mod" to make if one could devise a way to reinforce or protect that cable somehow. I haven't had any oopsies with my bird yet (knock on wood), but it looks like that gimbal seems to be hanging by a thread on there sometimes (or maybe that's holding on by a ribbon cable). I'd just hate to have a minor oopsie and see that goofy cable be the only reason to have to return the drone for service or replacement. I think I'd be willing to pay to reinforce it if it was possible...

Oh welcome to 2014 and the DJI P2V+ Gimbal Saver and $250.00 Replacement Ribbon Cables.... Can anyone say...... Progress?

Oh welcome to 2014 and the DJI P2V+ Gimbal Saver and $250.00 Replacement Ribbon Cables.... Can anyone say...... Progress?

Yes, but give the aftermarket a few weeks/months, and you'll find them for $13 on dealextreme or aliexpress. We (early adopters) are pioneers. And pioneers sometimes get arrows in their heads...

If accessible, how 'bout some duct tape, a thin strip along the cable? Or too heavy??
A novel idea, however the purpose of the ribbon cable is flexibility.
If you are to add tape or any other type of adhesive material to the ribbon cable, you would jepprdise stabilization and get the dreaded jello effect in your video. The cable must be flexible. Adding a reinforcement would cause it to be to stiff. The weak point of the cable is at the top of the pitch or tilt motor connection. It can tear very easily if pulled or stretched beyond it's travel point.

Reactions: J-Dub
There all ready is a $10 fix for this and DJI approved ................fly with clear dome on ( will not overheat it 8s designed to fly with it on ) this will protect from branches snagging and removing gimbal in a fall . Obviously for the final video or photo requiring perfection remove and fly with caution but keep on 8n general use

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

There all ready is a $10 fix for this and DJI approved ................fly with clear dome on ( will not overheat it 8s designed to fly with it on ) this will protect from branches snagging and removing gimbal in a fall . Obviously for the final video or photo requiring perfection remove and fly with caution but keep on 8n general use

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app
Although the dome may provide some protection, it is not adequate for even a small to less severe crash or jolt. The dome in it self is very fragile and only held in place at three mounting points. Even with the dome on and secured, the ribbon data cable can still be damaged as it very short to begin with.
If the shock or jolt from a crash is significant enough, even with dome in place, the gimbal rubber mounts can stretch and the gimbal can still physically break thru or crack the dome.
I am currently working on a simple mod to help eliminate and save the gimbal from being dislodged should a crash accure.
It will consist of a strong but flexible limit strap just shorter than the ribbon cable and attach to the cradle area and to the gimbal absorbing plate.
Hopefully, this will be the answer to saving some of those less fortunate pilots.
When I get the kit together, I will let everyone know and how to install.

Last edited:
It will provide a %100 more than without , and since the smallest twig getting between gimbal and mainframe would be enough to remove gimbal I think ge8ng curved and smothered would pass by twigs quiet well .
I can't believe one you tuber can sow as many negative thoughts to what should be used for the protection of the drone

Sent from my SM-T813 using MavicPilots mobile app

It will provide a %100 more than without , and since the smallest twig getting between gimbal and mainframe would be enough to remove gimbal I think ge8ng curved and smothered would pass by twigs quiet well .
I can't believe one you tuber can sow as many negative thoughts to what should be used for the protection of the drone

Sent from my SM-T813 using MavicPilots mobile app
I totally agree as I stated that the dome can provide some protection. However I feel that you have missed the whole point of this thread. No offense, but referring to me or anyone else as a (Quote) a you tuber, is just bashing members who post on the subject and whom are innovators. We are only here to help others.
Thanks for your input though.

Last edited:
I didn't mean you sir and I don't even think the YouTuber that made the film.is wrong as we all learn from these things and u enjoy watching as much info as possible .
I was trying to state that nearly every one who watched that particular video beleive it to be a fact they quote it over DJI official stance . Sorry if offence was caused

The fragility of the camera/gimbal is my main concern with the Mavic. It seems like I've seen it popping off too often in online crash videos. Plus just looking at it, itseems ready to break. I'm a newbie, are gimbals always this fragile, (p4 looks more solid) .
And, as it seems like something users can't fix themselves, how much could the repair cost? (Day outside of insurance)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes, fragile, the achilles heal of all flying cameras. Cameras must float in the air. The gimbal axis-motors must move freely at all times. Gimbals must have flexible connections (the dreaded ribbon cable that rips apart quite easily). The camera "bubble" may protect from actual contact with the camera/gimbal, but there is no way to prevent the massive g-forces of a sudden impact to the craft, IMO. Make a bullet proof gimbal and you are a monopoly in this hobby.

Reactions: Drone Master
Possible to reinforce the connection points??
Absolutely! This is what I am working on now.
If anyone has owned a phantom 2 or 3 series, would know is that the gimbal is re secured with 2 limit lock pins. I am trying to replicate something similar for the Mavic gimbal. This is only one of 2 mods that I'm working on. The other is to add a front tab to reinforce the gimbal mount plate and to accompany the rear rest support tap.. I'm welcome to new or better ideas.:cool:

Last edited:
So DJI California got my craft and the estimate to fix was $278.
So i guess I'll take the 1st bite from the care refresh insurance and hope that i fly a little more carefully.
Stupid gimbal....

So DJI California got my craft and the estimate to fix was $278.
So i guess I'll take the 1st bite from the care refresh insurance and hope that i fly a little more carefully.
Stupid gimbal....
Are you having to pay this amount? Or is refresh going to cover it?
According to the coverage page, you should not have to pay anything except for a small deductible or shipping. Take a look at the page and see if I'm missing something. DJI Care Refresh - supported aircraft, scenarios, service process, FAQ and terms of service

Total will be the $79 first bite out of the refresh "apple"...
Sad part is that by the time they get the craft (new one/ or fixed one) my happy *** will be way down south of the border...
That is the way it is....
Sometimes you eat the bear.
Sometimes it eats you....

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78