DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Shield for MP - Drone Valley

(1) flare protection isn't particularly useful on moderately wide angle lens. Use one on my telephoto DSLR lens, but leave it off on my wide angle lens because it's pretty much worthless. (2) a snap-on plastic gimbal shield isn't going to protect the camera against most of the sorts of camera-damaging crashes that people have been reporting on these forums. (3) Your link is broken.

People may be buying the gimbal shield because it makes the front of the Mavic look more streamlined, though. I've always thought that the gimbal mount and camera dangling off the front end looked a bit awkward and out of line with the sleek aesthetics of the rest of the Mavic.

It's the same $3 shield on eBay lol I have one. Yeah it'll help with a crash but it's not 100%. Definitely useless for the Sun. I use one as added protection. Not keen on it although.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

(1) flare protection isn't particularly useful on moderately wide angle lens. Use one on my telephoto DSLR lens, but leave it off on my wide angle lens because it's pretty much worthless. (2) a snap-on plastic gimbal shield isn't going to protect the camera against most of the sorts of camera-damaging crashes that people have been reporting on these forums. (3) Your link is broken.

People may be buying the gimbal shield because it makes the front of the Mavic look more streamlined, though. I've always thought that the gimbal mount and camera dangling off the front end looked a bit awkward and out of line with the sleek aesthetics of the rest of the Mavic.

Link wasn't broken - I screwed it up when I put it in in the first place. Fixed.

Agree that there are limits to shading a wide angle lens, but that's the claim and as I've had flare from the sides in some cases, this should help. Yes, limited.

As to protection, definitely - as you say above the gimbal and camera are very exposed. The proposed guard greatly reduces exposure considerably. Hitting a branch, for example, this will keep it out completely unless hit at the tip. The reviewer also points out that if landing in grass, these widgets reduce the amount of contact with the grass which could get caught in the gimbal and/or aid debris entry into the front vent.

Last edited:
Ordered this from him over a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Not to mention I live close enough to fly my Mavic to him for pick up. Bad first impression for me. Makes me think he orders from China then ships when he gets it.

Ordered this from him over a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Not to mention I live close enough to fly my Mavic to him for pick up. Bad first impression for me. Makes me think he orders from China then ships when he gets it.

Did you call him?

Link wasn't broken - I screwed it up when I put it in in the first place. Fixed.

Agree that there are limits to shading a wide angle lens, but that's the claim and as I've had flare from the sides in some cases, this should help. Yes, limited.

As to protection, definitely - as you say above the gimbal and camera are very exposed. The proposed guard greatly reduces exposure considerably. Hitting a branch, for example, this will keep it out completely unless hit at the tip. The reviewer also points out that if landing in grass, these widgets reduce the amount of contact with the grass which could get caught in the gimbal and/or aid debris entry into the front vent.

Bought one and have been flying with it for a couple of days. Well made and fits tight and certainly gives some extra protection. The issue I have with it is when making some turns you see it in the side of the camera as the gimbal moves. Think I'm going to have to take it off.

It's the same $3 shield on eBay lol I have one. Yeah it'll help with a crash but it's not 100%. Definitely useless for the Sun. I use one as added protection. Not keen on it although.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yeah got mine as well for $3 bucks, he is trying to make money now from his channel by selling this on his website. good for him.

He responded to my email and offered to refund and reship the item. Seems genuine and was a nice guy when we spoke. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here just a bad first impression. At least he made good.

Bought one and have been flying with it for a couple of days. Well made and fits tight and certainly gives some extra protection. The issue I have with it is when making some turns you see it in the side of the camera as the gimbal moves. Think I'm going to have to take it off.

Maybe you can simply trim it a little to avoid "seeing it" in the turns?

It seems like this would increase the resistance. As the device is now a wind bucket unless there are rear vents equal to the opening. I imagine it could possibly lower battery performance and speed as well. If flaring is and issue it might be worth the trade off.

He responded to my email and offered to refund and reship the item. Seems genuine and was a nice guy when we spoke. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here just a bad first impression. At least he made good.

He gives me the impression of a forthright fellow. Not so much interested in making money as in supporting a passion.

Reactions: gobama84
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi