DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching vs. Landing

Do you hand catch or land?

• Total voters

I like how that explained to me how to hand catch. Let's try to loose some fingers tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
With an attitude like that you might lose some fingers. j/k :D

I catch mine in the same spot, I just don't feel the need to turn off the downward sensors and I turn it facing away from me.

Reactions: drvdijk
Got a collapsible heli-pad. 16 inch diameter. I thought it would be perfect until I took off and it blew away with the down draft. Actually I was kind of expecting that, but wanted to give it a try.

So then i found the perfect landing pad... my car floor mat.

The floor mat is way too heavy to hike with, but whenever I'm near enough to my car, it will be my go to landing pad. Even if the ground is uneven with rocks or clumps of dirt, the floor Matt is rigid enough it just spans across all of that making a nice flat landing area. I wedged my pack between two boulders, put the floor mat on top of that and presto, perfect launch and landing pad.

The number of hand-catchers is higher than I would have expected; I usually prefer to hand-catch my P3P, but with the Mavic's size I might feel differently. Guess I'll need to order one at some point to find out...

Land whenever possible, which has been all but 2 flights. Was flying yesterday and forgot the floor mat from my truck. 2 feet of snow and no suitable spot. Took off from my GPC case and hit the first landing on top of it but it just barely fits. Resorted to hand catching the remaining 2 flights. Just grabbed it from the top just behind the latches on the battery (I checked before taking off that I would clear the props there). REALLY don't like hand catching this thing, nothing like the Phantom which is a breeze to catch.

Reactions: Dmbrody
Just grabbed it from the top just behind the latches on the battery (I checked before taking off that I would clear the props there).
Curious... Why would you choose to grab it from the top, rather than underneath? Grabbing from the top sounds way too risky to me.

I hand caught my Phantoms all the time. Landing only in optimal conditions. The skids and weight distribution make the Phantom susceptible to tipping. The Mavic isn't tipping. So I only catch it when the conditions are poor. Most of the time I just find a hard flat surface and set r down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dmbrody
Any video of you catching with this method?

Nope no video. And I'm not in the hospital either. The rear props are well below the top level of the battery and the front props don't come close to just behind the release tabs on the battery. I think any method of hand catching the Mavic can be dangerous that's why I choose not to most of the time.

Nope no video. And I'm not in the hospital either. The rear props are well below the top level of the battery and the front props don't come close to just behind the release tabs on the battery. I think any method of hand catching the Mavic can be dangerous that's why I choose not to most of the time.
It's an interesting approach. It does seem more dangerous but I'm gonna check it out myself just in case it's better. Certainly eliminates the issue with the downward sensors. And as you push down on the left stick to land, your pushing the Mavic away from your hand which could be safer I guess.

Mostly just land as I have a roll up landing pad, and leg extensions, and I made some large 'push pins' to secure the pad to the ground. I always hand caught my P3 but as stated it tipped over much easier than the Mavic. Have hand caught it a few times just to practice in case needed.

Reactions: Tomdog
Ok. I've got it. Forget about hand catching.

Head catching is the way to go.

Here's my new rig:

072616_arimil_villar_tray_med_w9x92cme.gif

I hand catch 99.9% of the time. What do you do?
Hi, I recently hand caught and the left stick did not shut it down, in fact, Mavic wanted to return to home as ii was holding it and trying to lift to go home. Unfortunately, i was under a tree at the time as i moved in to get a better shot. Any idea why the stick did not shut down anyone? Also, is there a fail safe kill switch?

100% land on heli-pad.
Been flying RC too long and have seen when props go wrong.

Also, is there a fail safe kill switch?

I have been surprised at how few people remember all the grisly accidents from the good old analog R/C days. It was just 5 years ago I was flying 600mm blade electric death machines, so I keep safety in mind.

The emergency motor stop command is the same as the start motor command. Both sticks down and in, or down and out. You have to actually change one of the settings to let you do this when the aircraft does not think it has landed! How crazy! What part of MOTOR STOP needs special confirmation from the aircraft's own sensors?

caution_hooded_sweatshirt.jpg

If you like hand-catching, that's fine. But I don't recommend it and I don't do it.

Reactions: mmunchies
Hi, I recently hand caught and the left stick did not shut it down, in fact, Mavic wanted to return to home as ii was holding it and trying to lift to go home. Unfortunately, i was under a tree at the time as i moved in to get a better shot. Any idea why the stick did not shut down anyone? Also, is there a fail safe kill switch?
Do you mean that it literally entered RTH mode? I don't think there's any way it would have done that unless it was due to signal loss or a low battery condition. If it did enter RTH, hitting the Pause button on the RC or the Stop button on the app should have canceled RTH and let you land, assuming you didn't actually lose RC connection. Your flight log should show you what happened.

I only catch if the terrain is dusty or there's no suitable place to land/takeoff.

I do hand landing(palm 2 feet under mavic and stick down) most of the time. Occasionally when it is too windy, I hand catch it from the back and stick down. Hand launch is simply CSC using left thumb and right elbow while mavic on my right hand.
Right elbow. I love that!

Reactions: cpunchin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78