DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching vs. Landing

Do you hand catch or land?

• Total voters
I haven't seen this suggestion yet when hand catching the Mavic when landing. Instead of going in to options, finding and turning off bottom sensors, why not, just before landing, switch into sport mode, which effectively turns off all sensors, bring it down low and grab it??? This avoids the engines racing, is safer, don't have to hold so tight to keep it from rising again. Wouldn't this work easily every time???

Reactions: mlooss
I haven't seen this suggestion yet when hand catching the Mavic when landing. Instead of going in to options, finding and turning off bottom sensors, why not, just before landing, switch into sport mode, which effectively turns off all sensors, bring it down low and grab it??? This avoids the engines racing, is safer, don't have to hold so tight to keep it from rising again. Wouldn't this work easily every time???

Sport Mode doesn't disable the bottom sensors.

I just leave Landing Protection disabled permanently. It's the easiest solution. (Though it's also very easy to catch with all sensors enabled, once you know where to grab to avoid the sensors)

Personally, the terrain decides for me. Easy to land, I land it. Dust, grass, rocks? Hand /launch/land. I usually use the auto-take-off feature to launch and the down stick to land.

I just leave Landing Protection disabled permanently. It's the easiest solution. (Though it's also very easy to catch with all sensors enabled, once you know where to grab to avoid the sensors)
How do you disable the downward sensors? Or is that what "Landing Protection" does?

I've found some great lanyard options to connect to the controller making hand launch and landing much easier. I missed the lanyard I used with my Phantom 3 so now I have that comfy feeling back that I won't drop the controller with it connected to a lanyard.

Lower to about 10 feet, turn off down sensors, turn front away from me or obstacle, lower to 7 ft, grab from underside in center, left stick down. It is important to keep position of the MP until the props stop and keep altitude higher than you so you don't get a bad hair cut with a stick or other error. 100 percent success.

Wow! So many posts here on techniques, and you've all got it wrong!

First, you don't need to turn off downward sensors, just turn off landing protection. It's not necessary, but it is a slightly smoother landing. Then follow these steps:

1. When hand-catching turn the Mavic facing away from you (so the forward sensors don't go crazy when landing).
  2. Put your right palm out flat, fingers together above your head, under the Mavic.
  3. Pull the left stick down slowly until the Mavic lands in you palm. DON'T grab the Mavic, just let it land in the palm of your hand. If you don't turn off landing protection, the Mavic will jump up briefly before touching down completely.
  4. After the motors stop, then you can grab it and lower your hand below your head.
It's as easy as that.

By keeping your palm flat and your fingers together, you keep your fingers safely away from the propeller blades. Holding your palm above your head ensures that any sudden horizontal movement won't fly the Mavic into your body/face.

Wow! So many posts here on techniques, and you've all got it wrong!

First, you don't need to turn off downward sensors, just turn off landing protection. It's not necessary, but it is a slightly smoother landing. Then follow these steps:

1. When hand-catching turn the Mavic facing away from you (so the forward sensors don't go crazy when landing).
  2. Put your right palm out flat, fingers together above your head, under the Mavic.
  3. Pull the left stick down slowly until the Mavic lands in you palm. DON'T grab the Mavic, just let it land in the palm of your hand. If you don't turn off landing protection, the Mavic will jump up briefly before touching down completely.
  4. After the motors stop, then you can grab it and lower your hand below your head.
It's as easy as that.

By keeping your palm flat and your fingers together, you keep your fingers safely away from the propeller blades. Holding your palm above your head ensures that any sudden horizontal movement won't fly the Mavic into your body/face.

I don't think all the techniques described above are wrong, it's jus that everyone has their own preferences.
However I do agree with you about just turning off landing protection. I leave it off permanently, don't think it is very useful anyway.
Instead of landing it on my palm, I do grab it right under the battery. But only in such a way that it actually doesn't notice being grabbed and doesn't fall when shutting down.
I hover it slightly above my head with it's sensors forward, grab and hold it gently and hold throttle down. Shuts off almost immediately and I hold it. No worry of sliding of my palm or anything.
Thanks for sharing though!

Reactions: Mavic 57
I don't think all the techniques described above are wrong, it's jus that everyone has their own preferences.
However I do agree with you about just turning off landing protection. I leave it off permanently, don't think it is very useful anyway.
Instead of landing it on my palm, I do grab it right under the battery. But only in such a way that it actually doesn't notice being grabbed and doesn't fall when shutting down.
I hover it slightly above my head with it's sensors forward, grab and hold it gently and hold throttle down. Shuts off almost immediately and I hold it. No worry of sliding of my palm or anything.
Thanks for sharing though!
Good point. I guess I mean the best way - IMHO [emoji6] . I tried grabbing at first. That was too sketchy, especially if landing protection is on.

Downward sensors off and and grab it right in the middle of the heat sink.

You don't even need downward sensors off... Just let it rise a little bit when you catch and the motors will only accelerate a little. If you pull it down, it will whig out for a min.

Anyway, I think hand catching is best for the bird overall. Can't remember the last time I let it land other than showing off the return to home function which I haven't done in recent memory.

How are you hand catching exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I will bring the MP down to my shoulder height then back it towards me. I reach up to the rear of the MP since those blades are higher and no gimbal issues I grab the body with right hand then pull back on the throttle with left hand where the controller is located and the blades shut off.

I just let it hover about head high and come up from under it and get it .
Have since I've had it .Same with all my Phantoms I've had .

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I just let it hover about head high and come up from under it and get it

Same here, no need to fly it precisely to your hand. Also, I remove the left thumb from the stick after desired height is achieved to avoid accidental yaw or throttle (tripping on something?) - grab the bird firmly first, THEN put the thumb back on the stick and throttle down.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yea my main concern is just keep it above eye level .

How do you disable the downward sensors? Or is that what "Landing Protection" does?

Disabling Landing Protection doesn't disable any sensors, but it turns off the Mavic's default behavior of keeping a minimum 1.5ft ground clearance. ie. The Mavic won't try to rise away from your hand.

If you really wanted to turn off downward sensors, you turn off the positioning system (VPS).

At the moment I always land on the ground simply because I've been concerned about an injury from the props but it would be a lot easier if I could just land it on my hand, it's been useful reading people's thoughts on how to do that.

John

Does disabling the bottom sensors mean when landing the craft will go down hard? Or will it still get close and land softly on its own?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones