DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance information needed

Just wanted to chime in on this thread...

For liability insurance, my company Verifly offers on-demand liability insurance via a mobile app. Automatic approvals and takes about 30 seconds to set up. $1m of cover starting at $10 / hour.

Liability would cover damage to third parties (ie if you crash into someone else and injure them or damage a building / car / powerline etc.).

www.verifly.com

OK I'm writing to inquire those of you that's gotten Insurance through State Farm the question is where you able to get it as a stand-alone policy or did you have to incorporate homeowners or renters insurance as well? Any information would be well appreciated and please be sure to leave The state you reside in thank you. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I also got a (stand alone) policy through State Farm in Pa, it was only $36 per year, which covers the entire Mavic Combo Package, I was told covering just the Mavic copter would only save me a buck or two. The biggest difference is that it works like any other Personal Articles Policy, if the insured item is lost, stolen, crashes or is hacked by Vladamir Putin, etc it's covered 100% (e.g. if it crashes in the ocean and you can't retrieve it; report it, turn in a claim, and get 100% reimbursed). I believe with the DJI Car Refresh coverage, you must produce and send in the crashed drone to DJI for coverage. A big difference if you've ever had a drone just "fly away" or you forgot your scuba equipment

From a repair standpoint, just return the broken drone to DJI, get a repair estimate and then submit it to State Farm for payment. Hope this helps

Thank you all for all the info! Living in one of the most litigious states in the US liability is always a concern. I just joined the the AMA, no not that AMA, THE ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS. Membership includes $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage and a bunch more benefits for $75 a year.
Thanks again!
Just keep in mind that I am pretty sure the AMA coverage is only in effect if flying in an AMA sanctioned event or location. I don't think it will cover you if for example you are flying in a public area like the beach and your drone falls from the sky and hits someone or their property and causes damage. The reason is that you are not following the AMA rules/guidelines in that case. If you were flying at an AMA sanctioned field and you hit someone or their property that would be covered.

If anyone else has the AMA membership and coverage and can confirm please correct me if I am wrong but when reading that is the way i understand it.

I'm in texas and I got a personal property plan designed specifically for drones that ran me $60 total for a year with zero deductible for both my Fly More Mavic and my Walkera F210.

I am not a State Farm customer at all aside from this.

What part of Texas are you in? I am in North Texas and looking for a State Farm agent. I have reached out to one but haven't heard anything back.

Just keep in mind that I am pretty sure the AMA coverage is only in effect if flying in an AMA sanctioned event or location. I don't think it will cover you if for example you are flying in a public area like the beach and your drone falls from the sky and hits someone or their property and causes damage. The reason is that you are not following the AMA rules/guidelines in that case. If you were flying at an AMA sanctioned field and you hit someone or their property that would be covered.

If anyone else has the AMA membership and coverage and can confirm please correct me if I am wrong but when reading that is the way i understand it.

The question as to coverage is here. For an accedent to be considered for coverage, you need to be in accordance with the AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Codes. On other thing to remember is AMA coverage is only secondary to other insurances like your home owners if it's available.

@Anthony Viscomi : thanks for the links on this in the other thread. :)

Last edited:
Got the State Farm Personal Art. Policy in Missouri without a problem - $60. I did everything by email. They requested a copy of the original receipt, called for CCard payment and emailed a PDF of the policy document.

Curious if anyone else obtain a Personal Article Policy with other carriers. I have homeowners/auto with Travelers so I need to check with them before I jump on the State Farm (stand alone) bandwagon. Any intel is much appreciated!

The question as to coverage is here. For an accedent to be considered for coverage, you need to be in accordance with the AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Codes. On other thing to remember is AMA coverage is only secondary to other insurances like your home owners if it's available.

@Anthony Viscomi : thanks for the links on this in the other thread. :)

Thanks piscaj. I was aware of the secondary issue prior tot joining but never never saw reference to AMA events only. The coverage is outlined here.

Just wanted to chime in on this thread...

For liability insurance, my company Verifly offers on-demand liability insurance via a mobile app. Automatic approvals and takes about 30 seconds to set up. $1m of cover starting at $10 / hour.

Liability would cover damage to third parties (ie if you crash into someone else and injure them or damage a building / car / powerline etc.).

www.verifly.com

When will you be in NY? App says no coverage....

Covered by State Farm in NY. $60 stand alone personal articles policy with $0 deductible. No other policies with them....

So I called the local (NC) State Farm rep and she quote me a whopping $14/yr for drone coverage with $0 deductible!!! However, SF has a $60 premium min. I also asked about the possibility of policy cancellation if claim is made within year and she said in her experience, that hasn't happen but it's all how the underwriter writes up policy. This would be a stand alone policy.

So I called the local (NC) State Farm rep and she quote me a whopping $14/yr for drone coverage with $0 deductible!!! However, SF has a $60 premium min. I also asked about the possibility of policy cancellation if claim is made within year and she said in her experience, that hasn't happen but it's all how the underwriter writes up policy. This would be a stand alone policy.

Finalized mine yesterday with State Farm here in TX. $17 for the Mavic but same $60 minimum. Be sure to add some other items to your PAP to get your money's worth. TX allows up to 20 items per 'Personal Affects Policy.' I added 2 other items and annual premium is still $60. Can't beat it!

Finalized mine yesterday with State Farm here in TX. $17 for the Mavic but same $60 minimum. Be sure to add some other items to your PAP to get your money's worth. TX allows up to 20 items per 'Personal Affects Policy.' I added 2 other items and annual premium is still $60. Can't beat it!

That's exactly what I'm going to do! Added MacBook Air + Sony RX100 which pushed it up to $65!

Quick question, let's say MBAir was $1000 but I got it on sale. Do I give them retail price or what I paid for it?

I would do the retail value of it, that way you will get enough to cover the replacement cost if something were to happen.

What about the American Model Aircraft policy that comes with the $75 membership at no added cost.AMA insurnace.png

Liability coverage under your Homeowners Policy is uncertain. In almost all HO policies there is an EXCLUSION for damage caused by "Aircraft" Under FAA rules, the Mavic qualifies as an "Aircraft" although there is no, to my knowledge, definitive answer to that in the context of an HO insurance policy. My best guess is that if you fly the Mavic into a Ferrari causing both property damage and bodily injury in the tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars, your insurance company lawyers are going to be pointing to that exclusion. The counter argument is that in the insurance world, your normal expectations would be that the term "Aircraft" is intended to mean and refer to MANNED aircraft. Frankly, I have my doubts about the AMA policy - if you have a copy of the actual policy, I'd like to see it. .

Just a note worth repeating. Any claim filed under a personal articles policy issued by State Farm will be recorded as a loss in the LexisNexis database. Even if you do not have SF for your home/auto policy, if you start shopping for a new home/auto policy, any new insurer will see the claim, and handle it with the same consideration as an automobile loss. Following is from an email I received from a SF agent in Florida:

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that.

In a follow up email, they stated this:

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.
In other words, your risk rating will go up if you file a claim. That higher risk will likely NOT affect your rates if you remain with SF as your home/auto insurer. But if you shop around for a new (lower rate) provider, they will run your risk calculations as an unknown "new" client, and it will prevent you from getting the best rates.

No free lunch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki