DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ken Heron claims RID is cancelled - For Now...

I’m confused, something many who know me would say seems to be my perpetual state.

It’s this lady, ”Karen,” who seems to be popping up in so many posts.

Is this the same “Karen” who assisted police in the investigation of the mugging of a mailman in New Jersey?

Is this the same “Karen” (actually a man) who stuck up for a young woman here in Virginia who had a male trying to steal her cellphone? This “Karen” was stabbed and died from his wound.

Maybe it’s the “Karen” who keeps an eye on her neighborhood children as they wait for the bus.

Then again it might be the many “Karens” who willingly show up at the trials of wrongdoers to testify to what they saw.

I’m confused by this demonization and feminization of people who pay attention to what is going on around them, and, while sure, maybe somewhat the busybody at times, are the neighbors we depend on when we are the victims of a wrongdoer.

And are people we really vilify when they turn a blind eye to suspicious behavior and ignore someone committing a crime.

I come to this forum for insights and tips on all the technical and legal aspects of drone flying, not to be subject to tirades from people, even though often provoked by uninformed observers, on encounters that could be resolved with patient education of those uninformed individuals.

If you’re flying a drone, unfortunately or not, you are a representative of the whole community of drone flyers. You’ve had a modicum of education about drones. Share it.

If you’re not doing anything wrong and obeying the rules, you have nothing to fear.

You‘ve also learned how it feels to be challenged as a “suspicious“ stranger in that neighborhood.

I know it‘s offensive and embarrassing, but being polite and friendly in its face shows your knowledge, understanding, and maturity.

It also, for me anyway, takes the whine out and brings credibility to your post.

Amen. I'd like to add a bold font to those last five sentences.

If you’re flying a drone, unfortunately or not, you are a representative of the whole community of drone flyers. You’ve had a modicum of education about drones. Share it.

If you’re not doing anything wrong and obeying the rules, you have nothing to fear.

You‘ve also learned how it feels to be challenged as a “suspicious“ stranger in that neighborhood.

I know it‘s offensive and embarrassing, but being polite and friendly in its face shows your knowledge, understanding, and maturity.

It also, for me anyway, takes the whine out and brings credibility to your post.

I’m confused, something many who know me would say seems to be my perpetual state.

It’s this lady, ”Karen,” who seems to be popping up in so many posts.

Is this the same “Karen” who assisted police in the investigation of the mugging of a mailman in New Jersey?

Is this the same “Karen” (actually a man) who stuck up for a young woman here in Virginia who had a male trying to steal her cellphone? This “Karen” was stabbed and died from his wound.

Maybe it’s the “Karen” who keeps an eye on her neighborhood children as they wait for the bus.

Then again it might be the many “Karens” who willingly show up at the trials of wrongdoers to testify to what they saw.

I’m confused by this demonization and feminization of people who pay attention to what is going on around them, and, while sure, maybe somewhat the busybody at times, are the neighbors we depend on when we are the victims of a wrongdoer.

And are people we really vilify when they turn a blind eye to suspicious behavior and ignore someone committing a crime.

I come to this forum for insights and tips on all the technical and legal aspects of drone flying, not to be subject to tirades from people, even though often provoked by uninformed observers, on encounters that could be resolved with patient education of those uninformed individuals.

Flying a drone is not a crime.
Flying a drone is not suspicious activity.

Not sure what triggered you. 🤣

Flying a drone is not a crime.
Flying a drone is not suspicious activity.

Not sure what triggered you. 🤣
I'm guessing it was the excess of machismo, bluster, paranoia, self pity, and misinformation, ❄️.

Flying a drone, like driving a car or flying an airplane, contrary to the regulations can be a crime.

Flying a drone is most definitely a suspicious activity in the eyes of a substantial portion of the population.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07 and Torque
Flying a drone, like driving a car or flying an airplane, contrary to the regulations can be a crime.
Yes, and flying without remote ID can be a crime with a three year prison sentence and up to $250,000 fine. I am floored that people think the state and local police have no interest and no authority with regard to drones and only a handful of FAA agents are responsible for enforcing drone laws across the country.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, and flying without remote ID can be a crime with a three year prison sentence and up to $250,000 fine. I am floored that people think the state and local police have no interest and no authority with regard to drones and only a handful of FAA agents are responsible for enforcing drone laws across the country.
Where are prison sentences described? Citation for those penalties?

The FAA has authority to issue orders assessing a civil penalty of up to $400,000 against persons other than individuals and small business concerns and up to $50,000 against individuals and small business concerns. Generally, the penalty for each violation ranges from $1,100 to $27,500, depending on the provision violated and the category of the alleged violator:

49 US Code Sec. 46306 imposes up to 3 year prison term and $250,000 fine for failing to correctly register an aircraft (not providing air transportation). States may impose their own criminal penalties for flying a drone that does not comply with FAA regs. This is why the notion that only the FAA can look for, investigate or penalize drone flights is off base. So is the notion that state and local law enforcement want nothing to do with drone flight enforcement. State, federal and local law enforcement was grossly overrrepresented as "stakeholders" in the remote ID debates and got exactly what they wanted.

49 US Code Sec. 46306 imposes up to 3 year prison term and $250,000 fine for failing to correctly register an aircraft (not providing air transportation). States may impose their own criminal penalties for flying a drone that does not comply with FAA regs. This is why the notion that only the FAA can look for, investigate or penalize drone flights is off base. So is the notion that state and local law enforcement want nothing to do with drone flight enforcement. State, federal and local law enforcement was grossly overrrepresented as "stakeholders" in the remote ID debates and got exactly what they wanted.

That addresses registration of aircraft. It makes no mention of RID for SUAS.

I don't disagree with your other points. I'm just questioning whether non-compliance with RID carries such enormous penalties. I'm unable to find a specific penalty. 59 US Code Sec. 46306 doesn't appear to be applicable.

That addresses registration of aircraft. It makes no mention of RID for SUAS.

I don't disagree with your other points. I'm just questioning whether non-compliance with RID carries such enormous penalties. I'm unable to find a specific penalty. 59 US Code Sec. 46306 doesn't appear to be applicable.

You may recall those prior threads involving federal prosecution of two guys in Ohio, one flew drone over an MLB game and the other flew over an NFL game. Both were charged in federal court with flying unregistered drones under 59 USC 46306 and violating a TFR. That is what originally caused me to look up the maximum penalty for flying an unregistered drone.

No court has yet had occasion or reason to decide whether flying without remote ID violates 59 USC 46306. I should have included that qualification and explained the reason that I believe flying w/o remote ID could potentially be charged that way is because the FAA will soon require registration which links the pilot to a drone and to a remote ID which begs the question:

If you are flying a drone without remote ID then have you actually completed a valid registration? I am suggesting that no you have not although some facts might change the analysis.

For example, what if the person actually did register their drone properly, but forgot to switch their ID module from one drone to another on the one occasion when they were caught? In that scenario, charging failure to register might not make sense. But, what do you think?

Reactions: BigAl07
lol - nefarious intent?
Since when do we worry about nebulous maybes?
Take using drones to mule drugs into penal institutions.
It's already against the law and the criminals will have ready access to anyone who figures how to bypass RID or simply build their own from scratch.
Laws do not deter criminals in the least.
Exactly. Laws only keep honest people honest.

Oh my,please get real here.State and local police have a lot more important things to do than trying to find
a drone pilot ,that probably did nothing wrong but was reported by someone with a fabricated story.
Wow what next.

Oh my,please get real here.State and local police have a lot more important things to do than trying to find
a drone pilot ,that probably did nothing wrong but was reported by someone with a fabricated story.
Wow what next.
Here are a couple of videos, please review and then tell us how you believe Rosecrans police would handle the situation since they are so busy with other high crimes and misdemeanors:

Here are a couple of videos, please review and then tell us how you believe Rosecrans police would handle the situation since they are so busy with other high crimes and misdemeanors:

How would the police in my area handle a drone situation.the answer is very simple they would not.
It would be handled the same way as a barking dog complaint,loud music things like this.But I live in a very small town with lower population and the local police would not even know how to handle a so called drone complaint.In fact in the last two years besides myself I have seen a total of two other drones being flown in my area. Meaning the whole city area,That's it.
Also I have seen all of the above videos a while back.So in the end seeing as I live in this area and you do not I should know
how local law enforcement would react.

Reactions: djwak59
How would the police in my area handle a drone situation.the answer is very simple they would not.
It would be handled the same way as a barking dog complaint,loud music things like this.But I live in a very small town with lower population and the local police would not even know how to handle a so called drone complaint.In fact in the last two years besides myself I have seen a total of two other drones being flown in my area. Meaning the whole city area,That's it.
Also I have seen all of the above videos a while back.So in the end seeing as I live in this area and you do not I should know
how local law enforcement would react.
Ok, make sure you say that instead of telling the rest of country that the police is too busy with more important stuff to respond to drone calls. We're not that naive.

It would be handled the same way as a barking dog complaint,loud music things like this.But I live in a very small town with lower population and the local police would not even know how to handle a so called drone complaint.In fact in the last two years besides myself I have seen a total of two other drones being flown in my area. Meaning the whole city area.
Yes, so you are living in a totally different world than many of us. Your experiences and interactions are unique to your location and may bear no relation to anyone living in a larger urban environment. If you want to experience something new, wait two weeks and then go fly your drone in New York city with no remote ID.

Yes, so you are living in a totally different world than many of us. Your experiences and interactions are unique to your location and may bear no relation to anyone living in a larger urban environment. If you want to experience something new, wait two weeks and then go fly your drone in New York city with no remote ID.
Could not pay me enough to live there

Reactions: umanbean
Oh my,please get real here.State and local police have a lot more important things to do than trying to find.....

Get real here... SERIOUSLY?

You are trying to insinuate that the micro-social bubble you live in would be, and apparently should be considered the "normal" situation for everyone else. That's painting with a insanely large and faulty brush wouldn't you say?

What you may not realize is that many Public Safety Departments (including small town/rural Police Departments) are becoming more and more educated in drone use and drone regulations. How do I know this? I spend a large amount of my time training and assisting Public Safety Departments across the southeastern USA in these matters. In the rural area I live in, high in the mountains of western North Carolina (think back to the movie Deliverance or The Beverly Hillbillies) in my county alone there are dozens of trained LEO who are very much up-to-date on FAA UAS Regulations including R-I-D. We have NC Highway Patrol, Waynesville Police Department, Haywood County EMS, North Canton Fire Dept, and several other smaller departments all operating UAS (legally) on a Daily basis. If a small/rural area like where I live has this much LEO/PS saturation I would surely think that the rest of the country is becoming more and more "UAS Regulation Educated" as there are MANY of us who do this type of training and setting up Departments around the country.

Just because your local area isn't UAS Smart doesn't mean the rest of the country isn't and it's very UNCOOL to make such a profound and inaccurate statement on such an important matter.

Get real here... SERIOUSLY?

You are trying to insinuate that the micro-social bubble you live in would be, and apparently should be considered the "normal" situation for everyone else. That's painting with a insanely large and faulty brush wouldn't you say?

What you may not realize is that many Public Safety Departments (including small town/rural Police Departments) are becoming more and more educated in drone use and drone regulations. How do I know this? I spend a large amount of my time training and assisting Public Safety Departments across the southeastern USA in these matters. In the rural area I live in, high in the mountains of western North Carolina (think back to the movie Deliverance or The Beverly Hillbillies) in my county alone there are dozens of trained LEO who are very much up-to-date on FAA UAS Regulations including R-I-D. We have NC Highway Patrol, Waynesville Police Department, Haywood County EMS, North Canton Fire Dept, and several other smaller departments all operating UAS (legally) on a Daily basis. If a small/rural area like where I live has this much LEO/PS saturation I would surely think that the rest of the country is becoming more and more "UAS Regulation Educated" as there are MANY of us who do this type of training and setting up Departments around the country.

Just because your local area isn't UAS Smart doesn't mean the rest of the country isn't and it's very UNCOOL to make such a profound and inaccurate statement on such an important matter.
I should have clarified the above,as the police have more important things to do in my area.And did not mean all over.
And we will leave it at that.Maybe the police are starting to get a little more educated in our small town in Wisconsin.
If they are I certainly am not aware of it.Sorry I offended you and others,certainly did not mean to do it.
Have a good day

See linked story. Dave Boulder is the head of Safety for FAA. If he said it, you can believe it’s going to happen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope