DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ken Herron and RID registration of "aircraft".

I am so confused, what if Ken Heron made a video for the scouts (Girl Scouts, Brownies, Boy Scouts, or Cub Scouts…) on making and flying paper airplanes. I do not think this is so ridiculous…

I was at the Virginia Air and Space Museum in Hampton Virginia and there was a couple of Boy and Cub Scout troops there, most of the Cub Scouts were are at the Paper Airplane Flight Lab, where they could test their engineering skills by making paper airplanes… There were also several Boy Scouts helping them make a paper airplane and not one of them knew how to make a decent paper airplane…

I called one of the Troop leaders over and told him to follow me… I said, "Hey Guys, watch this…" and I showed them how to make a paper airplane and then I helped several of them myself and then told the troop leader, someone needs remedial airplane making…

I blame it on the advent of computers in the classroom. When I was going through school in the '50s and '60s, we all had lots of paper at hand to make a paper airplanes, not so with a laptop…

So, back to the original premise, is Ken in violation of the RID regulation if he makes a video that makes money of him making and flying a paper airplane?

My reading is, By Law, he would be in violation of the RID Regulation.

Reactions: Torque
I am so confused, what if Ken Heron made a video for the scouts (Girl Scouts, Brownies, Boy Scouts, or Cub Scouts…) on making and flying paper airplanes. I do not think this is so ridiculous…

I was at the Virginia Air and Space Museum in Hampton Virginia and there was a couple of Boy and Cub Scout troops there, most of the Cub Scouts were are at the Paper Airplane Flight Lab, where they could test their engineering skills by making paper airplanes… There were also several Boy Scouts helping them make a paper airplane and not one of them knew how to make a decent paper airplane…

I called one of the Troop leaders over and told him to follow me… I said, "Hey Guys, watch this…" and I showed them how to make a paper airplane and then I helped several of them myself and then told the troop leader, someone needs remedial airplane making…

I blame it on the advent of computers in the classroom. When I was going through school in the '50s and '60s, we all had lots of paper at hand to make a paper airplanes, not so with a laptop…

So, back to the original premise, is Ken in violation of the RID regulation if he makes a video that makes money of him making and flying a paper airplane?

My reading is, By Law, he would be in violation of the RID Regulation.
I agree that paper airplane making is a declining art and many children are sadly deprived of a fun activity and great learning experience. I still remember learning to make two types from my father, ten or twelve years after he returned in 1945 from serving in the Army Air Forces in England. Neither resembled a B-17 or B-24. The swept-wing, needle-nosed design was the choice for long straight flights, but the blunt-nosed design was the champ for duration. I learned how rudders and ailerons worked and we tinkered with folded-up winglets long before Boeing and Airbus made them standard features of their jets.

Good on you for helping that group in the museum.

There may be a way to read the FAA UAS regulations to suggest that paper airplanes and Frisbees are indeed aircraft, but no one is ever going to seriously suggest that they're addressed by the regulations.

My Brother-in-Law's model airplane club in Colorado sponsors a couple of youth days each year. They make paper airplanes for the young'uns, and balsa wood elastic band powered planes for the slightly older. All to get them interested in not just model planes, but aviation in general.

Although I am not a Ken Herron fan, I did find it humorous and I'm sure that there is still a lot of confusion regarding RID. We see it on a regular basis on the forums.

Thanks for sharing.

IIRC, one of our industry advocates (an attorney) got a UAS Registration # for a paper airplane just to prove his point.

I mispoke . . . Peter didn't get UAS Registration but he got his Section 333 Exemption for a Paper Airplane. For those who don't know, the Section 333 Exemption was the UAS License prior to Part 107. It required you to be a Manned pilot and it required a LOT of red tape and you got it for the specific aircraft (you could add more later) and this was for a Paper Airplane.

See this article (it's the first one I came across) for more details:

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito