DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic box demensions and hard case idea!

kykayak

Reactions
Ok, so I would like a small hard case to transport my Mavic in when I travel. After some search on the interweb I found the demensions for the Mavic box. (It's pretty **** small)

Box: 243.5mm * 245.5 * 112
Inches: 9.58 * 9.66 * 4.41

Pelican has many different boxes available. I also like nanuk cases, however I found the Pelican 1200. The demensions are as follows.

External demensions.10.62 * 9.68 * 4.87

The thick cardboard DJI used should be close to the same thickness as the plastic. I was going to order the 1200 anyways and carve out the foam to fit the Mavic but I think I'll do what I did with my Osmo Mobile. You can remove the tray that the Mavic rides in when it's delivered on that happy day to your house and transport it right over to the Pelican 1200. It may need to be hot glued in, or take some of the foam the case has and pad out the little room there is around the case. Now your Mavic has a safe custom designed case that will prevent harm no matter how rough the trip gets! You can find the Pelican 1200 online or follow the link below to amazon! Cheers! Currently $39.07
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...lican+1200&dpPl=1&dpID=41Qse1ueBPL&ref=plSrch

I can't tell from the Japanese video, but it looks like they have a custom foam block in the box that holds everything in place for shipping. Transfer to case and you have a custom otter box for $30+ odd dollars that company's are going to charge a lot more for here in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1200 is a little small. I was looking at one for myself for when I head out to shoot and there is a possibility of bad weather. I have the 1200 I use for a small camcorder and 2 batteries, and it doesnt look to be large enough to 1) have room for padding on the sides (I like 3 squares minimum) 2) have enough room for controller, charger, 2 extra batteries.

The 1400 should have enough for the drone and controller and maybe a battery or charger. 11.81 x 8.87 x 5.18 (LINK)

However, at least for me, the 1520 will have enough room for the drone, controller, 3 extra batteries, charger and car charger and hub, at least an iPhone 6S+. There should also be room to have a smaller SD card case as well. It is the one I will be getting as soon as I recover from the purchase fright of the Mavic. 18.06 x 12.89 x 6.72 (LINK)

This is all supposition, since I dont have the drone and parts to measure, but just going by the case I have and the stuff I ordered. I need an all-in-one for this case for the travel outside of my norm. I have the Fly More package, so I will be getting the padded bag anyway, which will work most of the time.

Those are the official external box measurements. It's small. Watch the Japanese video here on the forum. The foam or plastic that carries the Mavic and everything in the box will fit inside the 1200.

I also go the fly more and intend to use the bag, but when I travel I will keep in the 1200, and also when I backpack to keep off the wet dew and rain.

I will have 4 batteries but plan to store those in zip lock bags somewhere in my pack that's safe and padded. Know for sure I can get 2 batteries in there with one in Mavic itself.

I will see about the 1200 and the box insert, but I need to carry all the extras. car charger, ac adapter, hub, 3 spare batteries, card case, phone (I have one dedicated phone (6+) with no service for the controller already) and phone charger and cable. I dont see the 1200 being large enough to allow for everything, but the 1520 will be.

I imagine we will also see custom inserts for the Pelicans coming as soon as the Mavic hits the hands of the public.

The dimensions I posted were the interior of the Pelican cases I linked.

What do you use when backpacking? I dont do a whole lot of hiking or backpacking anymore, but I have a Kriega I use while riding now and then if I have long rides planned (has a hydration pack and is water resistant (but I have a waterproof electronics bag as well).

What do you use when backpacking? I dont do a whole lot of hiking or backpacking anymore, but I have a Kriega I use while riding now and then if I have long rides planned (has a hydration pack and is water resistant (but I have a waterproof electronics bag as well).

I use an Osprey Atmos AG 65 when on a multi day

ATMOS AG™ 65 - Osprey Packs Official Site

And a Osprey Porter 46 for day hikes, overnight trips, and flight travel because the straps pack away and you can carry like a suite case! Can't say enough good things about Osprey. Not paid or endorsed by them.

PORTER 46 - Osprey Packs Official Site

My outdoor adventuring revolves around motocamping (RRG is awesome for that) and less hiking. Even on the bike, I wont have it in a hardcase, as it will be in my topbox on the bike. I am only looking for a hard case for other travel, especially when heading out to do shoots where I can just throw it in the trunk, or when going on a plane being able to put it in the overhead and not worry about it getting hurt.

As I ordered the fly more kit I am thinking the 1400 will be OK, but I will wait until I have the thing in hand to measure it all to make sure.

As I ordered the fly more kit I am thinking the 1400 will be OK, but I will wait until I have the thing in hand to measure it all to make sure.

One thing I do before cutting up the foam is do a trace around the items on cardboard, cut out the inserts, then you can take a marker and trace on the foam. I like keeping at least 2 squares of foam between items, and if I can 3 along the edge. Jut my initial guessing, I think the 1520 will be the best size (for me) for the Fly More + 1 more battery (I want room for 4 total, 1 on the bird and 3 in reserve). This should also allow for the cabling (car charger, ac adapter, phone cable and charger) as well as small container for SD and even some room for a spare phone (I have a decommissioned iPhone from work we cannot redeploy).

I think the 1400 will be about an inch too small around the edges. It will squish things up or not give enough padding.

@kykayak i had same idea of recycling box inserts into a compact hard case shell but they're not gonna fit in Pelican 1200, you can get the internal dimensions off All Pelican Cases Size Comparison Chart from Pelican-Case.com
Pelican 1200:
Exterior Dimensions 10.62 x 9.68 x 4.87" (26.97 x 24.59 x 12.37cm)(LxWxD)
Interior Dimensions 9.25 x 7.12 x 4.12" (23.5 x 18.08 x 10.46cm)(LxWxD)
Lid depth: 1.18" (3.0cm)
Bottom depth: 2.93" (7.044cm)

So a Pelican 1400 may fit the box inserts, Interior (l/w/d) 11.81" x 8.87" x 5.18"

I'm also considering the Monoprice Weatherproof Hard Case with Customizable Foam, 13" x 12" x 6", internal dimensions: 12.2" x 9.4" x 5.1" (310 x 240 x 130 mm) Weatherproof Hard Case with Customizable Foam, 13" x 12" x 6" - Monoprice.com

Reactions: kykayak
One thing I do before cutting up the foam is do a trace around the items on cardboard, cut out the inserts, then you can take a marker and trace on the foam. I like keeping at least 2 squares of foam between items, and if I can 3 along the edge. Jut my initial guessing, I think the 1520 will be the best size (for me) for the Fly More + 1 more battery (I want room for 4 total, 1 on the bird and 3 in reserve). This should also allow for the cabling (car charger, ac adapter, phone cable and charger) as well as small container for SD and even some room for a spare phone (I have a decommissioned iPhone from work we cannot redeploy).

I think the 1400 will be about an inch too small around the edges. It will squish things up or not give enough padding.
This is what I did on my Seafoam SE920 case for my P3, but I did the layout and traced with a sharpie directly on the second foam layer (in case of a Opps!). I was even able to get the controller inserted with the DBS panel antenna mounted, as well as all the other stuff, but that is a 24X17 case. The 1520 is an option if the 1400 will not work, in any case it will only be for flying.

If I go the pelican case route (and I probably will in the end, it just makes sense) then for ME, the 1520 gives me room for a little growth for batteries. That is my biggest thing is having room for batteries and still maintaining enough padding on the edges. The 1200 I have I use with a camcorder took a 30 foot fall and tumble down a 400 foot hill with nothing to show but some scratches. The camera inside, perfectly safe. I also dropped it in a lake, with no issue.

Reactions: kykayak
Looking at for a "Snug fit" hard case that will take up as little room in my backpack - what do you thing of the Pelican 1150 instead of the 1200?
want to have the Mavic and controller only
https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1150...=1476916079&sr=8-4&keywords=pelican+1150&th=1

pelican_1150_case.jpg

Reactions: Gregory Yap
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78