DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro battery & antenna mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've said it before: If all these Range Extender antennas are legit, how come none of the companies give and technical engineering specs or radiation patttern graphs or give any indication that the people who designed them have any background in RF engineering or RF antenna design?

BTW, this week only I'm having a Special Sale! My unique, customized Range Extender Tinfoil Hats! 50% off! Hurry while they last! Check out the other great deals, too, at "Honest Wommie's" website!

Obviously you don't know much about these precisely tuned 2.4 antennas.
Your ignorance shines in your description........buddy your totally in the dark
on these antennas,....proven to work very well,...I should know, since I have
be using them when phantom 3 first came out. if you want too know the specs
on them, then start doing your homework on them, just like I did and many many
others did. I can send you the links to the makers of these antennas, but
I see you doing just fine using and selling you tinfoil hats......

I think having increased signal strength is a no brainer! you would be daft to not do it!

improved signal means better control, better control means a safer flight!

However

The battery mod is not a bad idea but with such a small drone with a better than average camera, i can imagine the 4.3miles range is adequate for the majority of Mavic Pilots,

I would be interested to know who in the Mavic Pilot community wants/needs the extra 1.4miles of flying time and what there doing with it; and why 4.3miles wouldn't meet there needs? I only ask for my own curiosity of course.

Regards.

Your not going to get 4.3 miles with stock, that is only what DJI says you
can get........go for it ,then you will realize 90% of the time you wont make
that distance unless you live in the desert or on the beach.....

Obviously you don't know much about these precisely tuned 2.4 antennas.
Your ignorance shines in your description........buddy your totally in the dark
on these antennas,....proven to work very well,...I should know, since I have
be using them when phantom 3 first came out. if you want too know the specs
on them, then start doing your homework on them, just like I did and many many
others did. I can send you the links to the makers of these antennas, but
I see you doing just fine using and selling you tinfoil hats......

But I did do the homework. I
looked up the websites of three of these "Range Extender" companies. I recall that one of them was "Maxx UAV" and I don't recall that name of the other two offhand. None of the companies had any technical info at all on their "Range Extenders". If you happen to have bought your "Range Extender" from a company that actually does provide technical info, please share the company name and their link which describes the technical info because I, as a Ph.D. research physicist , would be very curious to see the data.

Reactions: Cutaway
But I did do the homework. I
looked up the websites of three of these "Range Extender" companies. I recall that one of them was "Maxx UAV" and I don't recall that name of the other two offhand. None of the companies had any technical info at all on their "Range Extenders". If you happen to have bought your "Range Extender" from a company that actually does provide technical info, please share the company name and their link which describes the technical info because I, as a Ph.D. research physicist , would be very curious to see the data.

I knew it !!!!! I knew you had a Ph.D in either engineering or physics
your book smart.. but you not very street smart...... fly your farthest
you can fly..... note it....then buy your self these antennas and see for
you self, guarantee you'll put the books down and learn from others
that use this setup......

I've said it before: If all these Range Extender antennas are legit, how come none of the companies give and technical engineering specs or radiation patttern graphs or give any indication that the people who designed them have any background in RF engineering or RF antenna design?

BTW, this week only I'm having a Special Sale! My unique, customized Range Extender Tinfoil Hats! 50% off! Hurry while they last! Check out the other great deals, too, at "Honest Wommie's" website!
FPVLR makes some of the best mods in the industry. I paid $120 for their FPV antennas for my P2, and stopped dropping my video signal in the woods where I live. At that time (a few years back) they did post the specs for the antenna. I am not sure why they don't now with these antennas, but their science is solid.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Just not seeing the need or practicality.

Seems to be just another opportunity to be severely criticized by the public...something we, collectively, don't need.

It's not something I would do, but, rose clenched between my teeth I applaud all the people who tinker and toil and try and cry in failure and shout exultantly when they have a success.

Without these intrepid few we'd still be flying X.

FPVLR makes some of the best mods in the industry. I paid $120 for their FPV antennas for my P2, and stopped dropping my video signal in the woods where I live. At that time (a few years back) they did post the specs for the antenna. I am not sure why they don't now with these antennas, but their science is solid.

Very TRUE, I bought all my v2 antennas from Tony,... wombat is just lost
in his books.

You are flying irresponsibly by doing this.
Do you have insurance? 107?
I assume not because if you did, you would know the law and the law stipulates that type of flying is illegal and dangerous.
I'm reporting your post to the FAA now.
I hope they knock on your door.
There is no need to go 5 miles out anytime for anything.
The law says VLOS and you are clearly beyond that.
People like you will kill the drone industry.

I think unexpected rth is a big cause of crashes.

Unexpected RTH doesn't have to be a cause of crashes. Whenever there is an RTH initiated sequence that ends in a crash, it's because of lack of procedure that would have prevented the crash. IOW, if you want the benefit of RTH you have to make sure that if it triggers you're not under a tree or bridge and that the RTH landing spot is clear and accessible. RTH is a mixed blessing - and the mixing is greatest when one pushes the boundaries.

(The gods will punish me in their own good time for that statement).

I assume not because if you did, you would know the law and the law stipulates that type of flying is illegal and dangerous.

FYI ...I'am a FBI agent,...go right ahead report me,
Mabey I will personally come and knock on your door....
watch what you wish for......

I knew it !!!!! I knew you had a Ph.D in either engineering or physics
your book smart.. but you not very street smart...... fly your farthest
you can fly..... note it....then buy your self these antennas and see for
you self, guarantee you'll put the books down and learn from others
that use this setup......

LOL! Focus, jk. Focus. First things first. You implied that you had links that described the technical specs of these "Range Extender" antennas, and that I didn't have them because I hadn't done my "homework", remember? So, first, send me some links to the company web pages describing the technical specs of some of these "Range Extender" antennas.

As for my buying "Range Extender" antennas from companies that I'm suspicious of, you know or should know, that that's not going to happen. But if you want to believe that these things help you fly, then that's fine with me. It's your money. My Dad always told me (*with a wink*)that washing and waxing the car to a shiny finish makes you more handsome looking to all the young ladies, makes the car go faster, and makes the air so much sweeter. And you know, it's true. :)

LOL! Focus, jk. Focus. First things first. You implied that you had links that described the technical specs of these "Range Extender" antennas, and that I didn't have them because I hadn't done my "homework", remember? So, first, send me some links to the company web pages describing the technical specs of some of these "Range Extender" antennas.

As for my buying "Range Extender" antennas from companies that I'm suspicious of, you know or should know, that that's not going to happen. But if you want to believe that these things help you fly, then that's fine with me. It's your money. My Dad always told me (*with a wink*)that washing and waxing the car to a shiny finish makes you more handsome looking to all the young ladies, makes the car go faster, and makes the air so much sweeter. And you know, it's true. :)

OMG you are sooo clueless,.....you just joined this thread in jan 2017.
No wonder you have no idea how good these work. once again you need
to read hundreds of threads from the phantom forums and DJI forums...
lol!!! I forgot what you haven't learned yet!!

It was CALLED doing your homework on reading up on the antennas from
other members,......

Focus Wammbat on your reading the forums and learn. and put you PDR
and physics books down, your making a judgment on something you don't
own or even tried....

HERE'S A STARTER KIT FOR YOU MR. PHD

Circular Polarized Antennas

Circular Polarization is one of the biggest step forward in the progression of the FPV experience of the last few years. It has improved signal reception on all bands and brought 5.8Ghz video from one of the least practical systems to now one of the best.

What is Circular Polarization ?

All antennas sold with video transmitters and receivers are linear polarized.

Linear, meaning straight. The signal comes out between each end of the antenna normally in a vertical wave. If the antenna is positioned so its horizontal it comes out as a flat horizontal wave. This is vertically polarized and horizontally polarized.The diagram to the right shows a vertically orientated antenna, N being the top of the antenna S being the bottom. The waveform comes out from top to bottom in a linear fashion.

Circular polarization is emitted from the antenna in a circular spiral pattern.

Depending on the antennas polarization it can come out in a clockwise circular pattern, or a anticlockwise pattern. This we call right hand or left hand polarization. As you can see from the picture, if the antenna is positioned horizontal, vertical or any where in between the signal from it is exactly the same.

Whats the point ?

The circular pattern is the key to its success. With a linear antenna, for the best signal, or most information received by the receiver antenna, both antennas have to be of the same orientation. If they are everything is fine as long as you are in range. However, FPV having a moving antenna on the plane, this then means the antennas orientation will move depending on the planes position, its banking angle and its angle of attack.

With linear antennas, as soon as the transmitter antenna is away from the matching angle of the receiver antenna you incur losses in dbi. The further off axis the higher the dbi loss until the transmitter antenna is at 90 degrees off when you get the maximum -26dbi loss. During the dbi loss you can get from a drop in picture quality to total loss of picture.

With circular polarization however, no matter what axis the transmitters antenna is placed at, the circular pattern still matches the receiver so no losses are incurred at all. So your picture stays perfect all the time.

Then you add 3 watt sunhans wifi amp, and BINGO!

Unexpected RTH doesn't have to be a cause of crashes. Whenever there is an RTH initiated sequence that ends in a crash, it's because of lack of procedure that would have prevented the crash. IOW, if you want the benefit of RTH you have to make sure that if it triggers you're not under a tree or bridge and that the RTH landing spot is clear and accessible. RTH is a mixed blessing - and the mixing is greatest when one pushes the boundaries.

(The gods will punish me in their own good time for that statement).

That is exactly the case I'm talking about. You are flying under something and RTH occurs. You don't have to far away for this to happen. There is also the case where sun blocks the obstacle avoidance and then the craft hovers until the batteries die. In general having control is better than not having control.

Radio tech is a hobby for many of us. I've been building an improving radio gear since I was a kid, and admittedly, I have a fetish for antenna tech. Often times it's not the distance we are looking for, but rather an improved signal in wifi congested areas - or in my case, a better signal through the heavily forested lands of the Sierra Nevada foothills where I live. Your response demonstrates a lack of desire to fully understand the gear you use to operate your RC craft. I would think that many of us would be interested in learning more about the technology that we literally hold in our hands. By doing so, incidents where you may lose your video signal, while retaining flight control, would result in a calmer reaction, and the proper response to reacquire your signal without immediately hitting your RTH button.

If you own a Mavic, then you are presumably ok with Mavic's stock (best scenario) specs of a 4.3 mile transmission range, which is clearly beyond LOS. And again - YOU already own it. But, you are struggling with a 5 mile range? My brain hurts.

There are safe ways to test the 5 mile limit where no people or aircraft flight paths are in jeopardy. Please mind your own business and stay out of the thread if you don't have anything positive to add. You should start your own drone police section and you and the others that get enjoyment out of that can go to town.

HERE'S A STARTER KIT FOR YOU MR. PHD

Circular Polarized Antennas

Circular Polarization is one of the biggest step forward in the progression of the FPV experience of the last few years. It has improved signal reception on all bands and brought 5.8Ghz video from one of the least practical systems to now one of the best.

What is Circular Polarization ?

All antennas sold with video transmitters and receivers are linear polarized.

Linear, meaning straight. The signal comes out between each end of the antenna normally in a vertical wave. If the antenna is positioned so its horizontal it comes out as a flat horizontal wave. This is vertically polarized and horizontally polarized.The diagram to the right shows a vertically orientated antenna, N being the top of the antenna S being the bottom. The waveform comes out from top to bottom in a linear fashion.

Circular polarization is emitted from the antenna in a circular spiral pattern.

Depending on the antennas polarization it can come out in a clockwise circular pattern, or a anticlockwise pattern. This we call right hand or left hand polarization. As you can see from the picture, if the antenna is positioned horizontal, vertical or any where in between the signal from it is exactly the same.

Whats the point ?

The circular pattern is the key to its success. With a linear antenna, for the best signal, or most information received by the receiver antenna, both antennas have to be of the same orientation. If they are everything is fine as long as you are in range. However, FPV having a moving antenna on the plane, this then means the antennas orientation will move depending on the planes position, its banking angle and its angle of attack.

With linear antennas, as soon as the transmitter antenna is away from the matching angle of the receiver antenna you incur losses in dbi. The further off axis the higher the dbi loss until the transmitter antenna is at 90 degrees off when you get the maximum -26dbi loss. During the dbi loss you can get from a drop in picture quality to total loss of picture.

With circular polarization however, no matter what axis the transmitters antenna is placed at, the circular pattern still matches the receiver so no losses are incurred at all. So your picture stays perfect all the time.

Then you add 3 watt sunhans wifi amp, and BINGO!

Thanks for the basic lesson on linear versus circular polarization, jk. Yes, using a circularly polarized antenna transmitter (or receiver) may make sense of communication with an RC fixed-wing aircraft since those can do barrel-rolls, split-S maneuvers, and all sorts of other maneuvers so that the relative angular orientation of the aircraft with respect to the transmitter can vary all over the place. However, that argument doesn't really apply to controlling a Mavic or other quadcopter, does it?

Still waiting for you to provide some technical info for some of these "Range Extender" antennas. BTW, don't you find it curious and interesting that these "Range Extender" antennas come is so many very different designs even though they're supposed to be optimized for the same frequency?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661