DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro battery & antenna mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, just ordered a set from dronenerds.com along with an extra battery. (US here)

Disassembly didn't seem to crazy, and I've got all the right spudger/pry/screw sets already. And a Dremel.

Not going for distance tests, just congestion help. Might have to find some easy dipole antennas with sma connectors for when packing lite.

Hmmm , I think someone has started talking to themselves ,LOL.

Just about everyone that flies FPV is violating the FAA's guidelines and I know one law in particular . You are supposed to have a license to transmit video over a certain power yet most , if not all do not get that license .

I've done many antenna mods on transmitters and receivers over the years and some worked while some actually hurt . It would be nice to know the SWR on this mod and how well the side signal compares to the original antennas .

Keep in mind a lot of the directional antennas improve long range if they are pointed at the craft while at the same time you can lose signal when close to the bird .

That is comforting.
I may wait to hear more of peoples results before i modify mine.
The kit is already on the way though.

I don't think you'll have any worries, I remember dealing with Tony
when his co was in FL. I bought a phantom 2 and he did my first
modd, worked great ....feel bad for scoot scoot he must have received
a untuned antenna.....but with the Mavic pro 8 dbi yagi antennas, tuned
to 2400 MHz. which I have.....they work great!!!!!!

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Well, when well established, reputable companies sell microwave or UHF or radar or other electromagnetic radiation antennas, they always provide technical specs. In fact you get technical specs for your product when you buy a television or a computer or a car or a microwave oven or a dishwasher or a Mavic. But for these "Range Extender" antennas? Nothing. Zilch. Don't you think that you deserve to get the technical specs for some device that you paid $120 for? And doesn't it bother you that apparently none of these "Range Extender" companies provide technical specs?

One company that NEVER publishes a technical spec is BOSE.

Just not seeing the need or practicality.

Seems to be just another opportunity to be severely criticized by the public...something we, collectively, don't need.

Not only does it threaten your own ability to fly by breaking the law of line of sight flying.. but, the liability you risk could be extremely expensive. In addition the more cowboy type flying will incur the wrath of the FAA upon all of us.

We'd be far better off by obeyeing the laws and proving how safe we can be before expanding our capabilities. Each day we go without incident is another plus towards earning more trust and with it more freedom.

Reactions: Slayerstwin and ACR
It's not something I would do, but, rose clenched between my teeth I applaud all the people who tinker and toil and try and cry in failure and shout exultantly when they have a success.

Without these intrepid few we'd still be flying X.
I have to agree, not something I would do, but 5 miles out and back without dropping signal or power, makes my mouth water. Fascinating.

HERE'S A STARTER KIT FOR YOU MR. PHD

Circular Polarized Antennas

Circular Polarization is one of the biggest step forward in the progression of the FPV experience of the last few years. It has improved signal reception on all bands and brought 5.8Ghz video from one of the least practical systems to now one of the best.

What is Circular Polarization ?

All antennas sold with video transmitters and receivers are linear polarized.

Linear, meaning straight. The signal comes out between each end of the antenna normally in a vertical wave. If the antenna is positioned so its horizontal it comes out as a flat horizontal wave. This is vertically polarized and horizontally polarized.The diagram to the right shows a vertically orientated antenna, N being the top of the antenna S being the bottom. The waveform comes out from top to bottom in a linear fashion.

Circular polarization is emitted from the antenna in a circular spiral pattern.

Depending on the antennas polarization it can come out in a clockwise circular pattern, or a anticlockwise pattern. This we call right hand or left hand polarization. As you can see from the picture, if the antenna is positioned horizontal, vertical or any where in between the signal from it is exactly the same.

Whats the point ?

The circular pattern is the key to its success. With a linear antenna, for the best signal, or most information received by the receiver antenna, both antennas have to be of the same orientation. If they are everything is fine as long as you are in range. However, FPV having a moving antenna on the plane, this then means the antennas orientation will move depending on the planes position, its banking angle and its angle of attack.

With linear antennas, as soon as the transmitter antenna is away from the matching angle of the receiver antenna you incur losses in dbi. The further off axis the higher the dbi loss until the transmitter antenna is at 90 degrees off when you get the maximum -26dbi loss. During the dbi loss you can get from a drop in picture quality to total loss of picture.

With circular polarization however, no matter what axis the transmitters antenna is placed at, the circular pattern still matches the receiver so no losses are incurred at all. So your picture stays perfect all the time.

Then you add 3 watt sunhans wifi amp, and BINGO!

This would be more interesting without all of the spelling and grammatical errors.

Reactions: vashon100
And we need to fly 5 miles out because...... ?

Unless you're doing a land survey in TX or other unpopulated spot this seems like a pointless mod. I can't even think of a cinematic reason why flying 5 miles would be necessary. Are you applying for a job at Amazon?

Also, circular polarization antenna are not meant for photography or video based drones. The signal does not favor a stable flying platform and will lead to an unstable signal.

I'd be interested in this antenna mod just for flying over my own property. Did my first long distance flight the other day over open ground with the stock controller and started getting dodgy signal and warnings at 2 miles out and 80m up. This is with the latest firmware which some seem to think has shortened their range. I unfortunately didn't do any really LD flying with the shipped firmware for comparison. This is LOS flying with the nearest home close to a mile from where I was standing and I was flying away from it. No power lines or other possible RF interference sources.

Reactions: Mavic Maniac
I'd be interested in this antenna mod just for flying over my own property. Did my first long distance flight the other day over open ground with the stock controller and started getting dodgy signal and warnings at 2 miles out and 80m up. This is with the latest firmware which some seem to think has shortened their range. I unfortunately didn't do any really LD flying with the shipped firmware for comparison. This is LOS flying with the nearest home close to a mile from where I was standing and I was flying away from it. No power lines or other possible RF interference sources.
I was in open space last week and was getting the magnetic interference warning while hiking. No power lines or anything close by

Dude, give it up already...your not getting it....
it's very simple...THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!
your just way to smart....... which means, well
you know............you have no common sense!!!!

Wombat55 asked a legitimate question, and that is your reply?

Well done, sir.

240' at 2 miles is really not that good of a height to distance ratio . Trees would easily create a LOS obstacle for the video signal especially in the 2.4 GHZ range . Higher gain antennas will not usually help if there are still things in between the controller and the aircraft as trees and other objects still block or scatter the signal . The further out you go the higher you need to be is the general rule to keep LOS between the TX and Rx antennas . I would be at minimum 400' at 2 miles out no matter the antenna system in use .

Reactions: Mavic Maniac
There were no trees. Wide open ground. I agree I could've gone higher. Was at 50m out to that point but rose to 80 to give better clearance and signal but it was still dodgy. Decided to turn around and come home.

The Mavic was hovering about 400m away after flying back and had the app disconnect and wouldn't reconnect. Hit RTH to get it home although ATTI would've been fine. I'm not happy with the number of disconnects under Marshmallow on my Moto Z Play. I might have to get an iPad. Did you feel the earth quake and the disturbance in the Force when I said that?

There were no trees. Wide open ground. I agree I could've gone higher. Was at 50m out to that point but rose to 80 to give better clearance and signal but it was still dodgy. Decided to turn around and come home.

The Mavic was hovering about 400m away after flying back and had the app disconnect and wouldn't reconnect. Hit RTH to get it home although ATTI would've been fine. I'm not happy with the number of disconnects under Marshmallow on my Moto Z Play. I might have to get an iPad. Did you feel the earth quake and the disturbance in the Force when I said that?

I had this same issue with my Note 4. I was rooted so i just wiped everything and installed a different ROM and I have not had a crash after that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan