DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Received a Death Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'd likely assess if this was an act of stupidity, in which case i'd view it as an opportunity to educate and inform. You can win folks over, I've done it myself.

But if it truly were an act of aggression, I envision a conversation like this:

Me: "That would be an 18 U.S.C. 32".

Them: "A what?"

Me: "An 18 U.S.C. 32", you don't what that is?

Them: "no"

Me: " A federal offense and crime I would be only too happy to report"

2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C. 32) | USAM | Department of Justice

Them: "no one's going to put me in jail...."

Me: "The FAA is already on record that they will prosecute...."

FAA Confirms It’s a Federal Crime to Shoot Down a Drone

Me: "So I have to ask, do you feel lucky? Also, you're borderline interfering with a pilot, another federal offense. By the way, what's your address and name, I'll be happy to stay away from your property, even though you don't own the air above it. You can look up that law on your own..."

Yes, be an ambassador. For many people you will be the first person to put a human face on the drone situation. Drones have a negative image right now. This is not the time to make a statement and defy your neighbors. The aerial trespass limit in many areas is 500 feet, and we are limited to 400 feet altitude, so they do have legal rights.

Personally, I avoid flying near my home. If I do fly, it will be straight up to 3 or 4 hundred feet, and then keep moving. My goal is just to be a dot in the sky, with almost no sound, and with luck get my great photos and videos without bugging anyone.

Last edited:
@Top Hat, where did this happen? After posting an aerial crime scene photo from my neighborhood (showing yellow police tape around a home, nothing more) at our nextdoor.com community forums, I was told in no uncertain terms that doing so was illegal. I had to bite my tongue - and I'm glad I did. Because, as it turns out, in Florida, a law passed last year which does prohibit the use of unmanned aerial platforms to capture photos/video of private property (without WRITTEN consent) if it reveals more than can be seen from the street level.

I posted this over at the Phantompilots website in January after doing the research on the new law:

The way I read statute 934.50, a violation of the statute occurs the moment anyone uses their Phantom to capture video of someone's property with enough clarity to identify the property. The term "surveillance" is identified quite clearly as:

(e) “Surveillance” means:
2.) With respect to privately owned real property, the observation of such property’s physical improvements with sufficient visual clarity to be able to determine unique identifying features or its occupancy by one or more persons.
Thus, if the house is identifiable, it's being "surveilled". Further, unlike conventional photography that occurs with telescopic lenses, or from a raised platform, or from manned aircraft, if filming from a "drone", the subjects expectation of privacy is different:

(3)(b)...For purposes of this section, a person is presumed to have a reasonable expectation of privacy on his or her privately owned real property if he or she is not observable by persons located at ground level in a place where they have a legal right to be, regardless of whether he or she is observable from the air with the use of a drone.
If I understand that correctly, someone in their back yard, for example, walking in the open behind their privacy fence, suddenly has legal privacy expectation. If you can see them from the building next door, no privacy is expected, but from a drone, it's a violation.

In other words, you only have an expectation of privacy in your back yard from drones, not from your neighbor who's filming you from his second story window or perched up on a ladder.

The statute does not specify enforcement/punishment, and is therefore not a criminal statute. The only "remedy" it lists is civil action brought by the "victim". Thus, someone would have to prove that your Phantom recorded them without written consent. Of course, with most of us promptly uploading our videos to YouTube, that may not be so difficult.

Since the statute permits prevailing victims to recover punitive damages AND attorney's fees, the Phantom operator could be in for some heavy expenses. Without the wording of recovering attorney's fees, any 'victim' would have a hard time retaining an attorney - as even a victory would likely not cover the expenses in representing their plaintiff. But, now that the law firms are assured compensation (as much as 2x multiplier if taken to verdict) for their legal fees, you get stuff like this:

Florida Passes First Unmanned Drone Law (Morgan & Morgan)

upload_2017-1-13_18-1-9-png.73312

They're openly looking for 'victims'. How long before the "my lawyer got me $400k after my neighbor filmed me in my back yard" commercials start airing?

Thus, to any/all Florida fliers, I would strongly recommend you NOT record your flights if you're capturing private property w/o written consent. And if you do, do NOT post it publicly.​

To avoid confusion and erroneous information, it would be very helpful if posters on subjects such as this could indicate their country (or state), since the regulations differ widely.

Show them your concealed carry permit and say if I see you over my property, and keep it moving!

The Mavic pro is a registered FAA aircraft! And thus should be considered as a real actual aircraft you are a pilot whether you like it or not..I would have simply told him I'm not spying on you but just be aware if you shut this down it is a registered aircraft and you will face serious charges. That person would Pose a serious possible danger if he shot it down I'm pretty sure it's a felony.

I'd love to tell some people to F-off. But it's better to be an ambassador - show them what you can see on the screen and turn them into a friend and ally.

Telling them to F-off causes them to look into ways to make your life miserable.

Your approach works if the other person is a rational, reasonable, individual. But this woman proved herself to be a nut-case with her out-of-the-blue comment. I would have just written her off.

You probably did the right thing. I guess I'm a bit more confrontational, because I think I would have said something like, (in the most friendly, passive, non-confrontational tone possible):

"Well, don't worry - I don't know where your backyard is, and I don't fly in anyone's backyard anyway. I wouldn't go shooting at anything in the sky in the city: it's illegal and very dangerous. But if you really think I'm endangering you or your property, or doing anything illegal, you should probably call the authorities."

People like that are just trying to verbally bully you or scare you. And like most bullies, all you have to do is show them that you will NOT be bullied, and they'll shut the hell up. They're probably not as confrontational as they're trying to seem. As long as you're not doing anything illegal, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

That being said, I never hover over anyone's property other than mine, just because I don't want to annoy anyone or give them any reason to hate drones.

It's really sad how society has degraded into this wild west mentality of power plays. Working abroad has taught me that most of the time when people in America casually throw out threats, they are just saying it to feel a bit of personal empowerment over those with whom they feel safe to say it to.
To me that's a indication that the person saying it lacks any real courage.

You try that same stunt in a lot of other countries and you better hope that the persons drone does not crash near your property or else you better be prepared for what is going to happen. That's why abroad I find most people choose their words carefully and don't say stuff unless they are fully prepared for the consequences. Consequences that sometimes involve immediate physical confrontation or in a lot of cases are typically dished out when you least expect it.

Rob

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
According to 18 U.S.C 32, she'd be in some pretty serious **** for shooting it down. Keep on flying!

You know it is unfortunate that sometimes you have to deal with individuals like that. I think you did the right thing not to escalate the situation I probably would have done the same although I think I would have felt a little more satisfaction giving her back a little dose of my crazy. Sometimes crazy only understands crazy. Well good job.

I would have just said "Can you say that again ? I want to make sure my phone recorded you threatening to use a firearm ."

Earlier that day.....
Brought MP @ work yesterday to DEMO it to my friend in the parking lot @ work and he was really impressed by it. Flew it a few minutes in B mode and few more minutes in other modes. Everything went well and am really proud of the MP performance. So in short, I have a few more juice from the battery I was using.
After getting home from work yesterday I decided to use the remaining juice of the battery.
Went to my garage opened the garage door took off from my driveway and flew it @ around 200+ ft Alt around the hood. Then this couple walked by pushing a baby stroller across the street from my driveway, I can see that they are looking or trying to see where MP is @ that moment while walking. Then the lady started asking is that my drone, I said yes and added just flying around. And out of the blue in an intimidating tone of voice @ least as it sounded to me..she said "Don't ever fly in my backyard or I will shoot it down". I pretty sure that I did not say anything after that...kept my cool and focus and safely bring MP back down w/c @ that time the battery already giving me a warning. Closed the garaged door and went inside. Disclosure I'm not a very confrontational person.

Did I do something wrong?
What would you do if you were in my shoes @ that point?
How would you handle it?

You have crazy hateful neighbors. They probably speed through residential neighborhoods with disregard for other families' children, but freak out over a "spying" drone.

You can expect future contacts with the couple even if you didn't fly your drone. They'd probably see a bird circling their house and claim it was you flying.

Call it crazy, but I fly mostly incognito. You can be legal a million different ways and come across some nut that claims you're breaking the law because of their paranoid dislike for "drones".

Maybe opinions would change when the media does news stories of a drone saving someone's life or property (if ever exists).

Think of your personal safety when flying. It's probably a good reason for having situational awareness, minus DJI's goggles, when flying.

You may want to see if you could report their threat to law enforcement in case you have another encounter.

If it's not illegal, fly over that backyard of the b***h.

This. And I agree with TrayBoz - the way to stand up to bullies is not to attempt to be reasonable with them, being reasonable is for other reasonable people - with bullies and thugs you push back harder than they pushed you.

Last edited:
I hope i handled it right coz I don't really want to offend anybody.

Absolutely the correct way to handle it. Was flying in my beloved town of Dublin when I was approached by a man living in the street I was flying. He verbally abused me in front of my son and made threats. Luckily I was flying in front of my car with dash cam on and got him on tape. Had to go to 400 and turn off lights at front of drone so could not be heard or seen. Told him it was lost. After five agonising minutes he left and I landed. He came back out of his house at which point he was very aggressive. Called the police. Played video from car with sound. Explained I love aerial photography he claimed I spied on him. Clearly you could see his front door as I took off but that's it. Filmed sunset in Dublin bay beautiful... police asked if I wanted to press charges answered yes. I was polite but terrified he'd jealousy hurt my kid me the drone or damage my car.. (cars are my passion and I do drive a flash one) but I love it. Don't drink or smoke so what most people spend on that I spend on my car. Good outcome scary as hell..

It really makes me laugh when I read all these replies of how others would have reacted because they make me out to be a real *-**** (and I know I can be). I would never have allowed a stranger making a comment like that, in that tone, to me to stand unchallenged.

To the guy with the Florida statutes, that's absolutely ridiculous. I can't see how those can exist when things like regular manned planes, helicopters and google earth exist.

This. And I agree with TrayBoz - the way to stand up to bullies is not to attempt to be reasonable with them, being reasonable is for other reasonable people - with bullies and thugs you push back harder than they pushed you.

Turning the other cheek didn't even work for Jesus. doing it is even a stupit thing to even try.....

So I thing this ambassador crying in everyone here is for most part childish or even cringy. If shown good, show good, if shown rudeness... Be a man and don't put up with it.

I can see why people say the ambassador route I suppose. We've already got bad reps, but it's certainly not from anything I've done. I'm doing my part and I don't much have the inclination or motivation to take on the burden of making up for the others who aren't. I try and be as respectful and courteous of others as I can, but as I often say to people when they get that look in their eye..."If you have something to say, I just might have something to say myself".

Reactions: Red_Raven
Right now we are in a golden age of drones, where flying a drone is still allowed in a very large number of situations. If neighbors, rightly or wrongly, get angry, we have a choice on how to respond. We can respond in kind, as offended individuals, or as representatives of a new technology. It's a choice.

I understand full well that there is momentary satisfaction from responding in kind, and putting a person in their place by either threatening them or insulting them, as they did to you. I think that is the easy, somewhat childish way to deal with it. It's childish because it makes you feel good, but the long term result is negative. As more people feel abused and antagonized by drones and their owners, the resentment of the general public against drones will increase, and our ability to fly them legally will decrease. At the same time, we will accelerate the market for technology to jam, hijack, and otherwise make it harder to fly our drones.

We will have ourselves to blame if and when this golden age is over, and there are fewer and fewer places we can fly. We will be to blame because we had the chance to present ourselves in a responsible and sympathetic way, when people may have been open to the benefits of drones, and so many of us failed to do so.

The golden age is still here - let's not blow it, is all I'm saying.

Reactions: AKflyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga