DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Received a Death Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you live??

I've received only positive comments from passers-by in my neighborhood while flying. Of course, there's the paranoid x-drug offender down the street who told me a drone was looking in his living room window some time back... checked with his mom... never happened.

In the US, I understand shooting down a drone (or causing it to crash by other means) is covered under the same laws as if you bring down an airliner. Hmm.

Some folks just hate to see others enjoying themselves! Oh... "baby carriage," no wonder she's not having any fun!! :(

Probably just an ignorant jerk trying to impress her husband by being tough. Tell her you will take her gun threat to the police and they may be knocking on her door. Tell her you have the recording of her fire arm threat on your device.

Haha sounds like ur friendly skies as usual. Ide shoot them with squirt gun

It seems to me that people have to get used to drones and find ways to deal with their own irrational aggression. I'd have felt harassed by the women had she said this to me. I wonder if it is legal for her to threaten to destroy your property while you are using it lawfully?

Just saw a facebook post about people in my town going to start shoot drones down with slingshots and guns.

Once it's down your **** of getting it back, but any possibility of taking action against the crazies in Australia?

Cheers

Just saw a facebook post about people in my town going to start shoot drones down with slingshots and guns.

Once it's down your **** of getting it back, but any possibility of taking action against the crazies in Australia?

Cheers

Can't you shoot them with a slingshot? Or just a good old beating would do them good. If someone would shoot at my any of my possessions or stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to beat the shot put of them.
Some things you just have to take care of. Protecting what's yours is one of those things.

We will have ourselves to blame if and when this golden age is over, and there are fewer and fewer places we can fly. We will be to blame because we had the chance to present ourselves in a responsible and sympathetic way, when people may have been open to the benefits of drones, and so many of us failed to do so.

The golden age is still here - let's not blow it, is all I'm saying.

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. The "golden age" of drones is not going to come to an end because a stranger approached me when I was doing nothing wrong and was disrespectful by threatening me or making rude comments and I called them out for it. The "golden age" will come to an end because of these very same people who form opinions on things without having first bothered to educate themselves and have knee jerk reactions when they have no idea why.

That I have a drone and I am flying responsibly in a manner I am legally allowed doesn't automatically put me in a position where I must be thankful for the good graces of others. Your attitude on the matter makes it appear as though know we are doing something wrong from the onset and therefor must walk on eggshells, bowing before anyone with any challenge, unfounded or not, hoping we can extricate ourselves from the situation without getting ourselves into even more trouble. Your attitude paints the picture of some poor servant who refilled the water glass from the wrong side getting lambasted by the crabby, unreasonable "master" and trying to back out of the room without getting fired and screamed at some more. I have no obligation to whatsoever to you or any other drone owner to be nice to those that aren't nice to me just to preserve your "golden age". A curious person wants to approach me with questions, I'm happy to answer, show them what I see, maybe even let their kid take the controls for a minute or so. But a stranger wants to come up to me and assassinate my character or threaten me because I have a drone? LOL, go pound sand. I humble myself before my mother and God and there the list ends.

Earlier that day.....
Brought MP @ work yesterday to DEMO it to my friend in the parking lot @ work and he was really impressed by it. Flew it a few minutes in B mode and few more minutes in other modes. Everything went well and am really proud of the MP performance. So in short, I have a few more juice from the battery I was using.
After getting home from work yesterday I decided to use the remaining juice of the battery.
Went to my garage opened the garage door took off from my driveway and flew it @ around 200+ ft Alt around the hood. Then this couple walked by pushing a baby stroller across the street from my driveway, I can see that they are looking or trying to see where MP is @ that moment while walking. Then the lady started asking is that my drone, I said yes and added just flying around. And out of the blue in an intimidating tone of voice @ least as it sounded to me..she said "Don't ever fly in my backyard or I will shoot it down". I pretty sure that I did not say anything after that...kept my cool and focus and safely bring MP back down w/c @ that time the battery already giving me a warning. Closed the garaged door and went inside. Disclosure I'm not a very confrontational person.

Did I do something wrong?
What would you do if you were in my shoes @ that point?
How would you handle it?

I had a very similar thing happen a few weeks ago,
A passerby stopped and commented that he would shoot down any Drone he saw near his house.
I convinced him to watch what I was doing, and view the screen for a few minutes. He remained belligerent and abusive. However...... three days later he called me and hired me to do some real estate videos of his property. I think I won that one.

Tell her that if she is really concerned about being watched, she should call the NSA complaint line ;-)

Reactions: hotelzululima
Earlier that day.....
Brought MP @ work yesterday to DEMO it to my friend in the parking lot @ work and he was really impressed by it. Flew it a few minutes in B mode and few more minutes in other modes. Everything went well and am really proud of the MP performance. So in short, I have a few more juice from the battery I was using.
After getting home from work yesterday I decided to use the remaining juice of the battery.
Went to my garage opened the garage door took off from my driveway and flew it @ around 200+ ft Alt around the hood. Then this couple walked by pushing a baby stroller across the street from my driveway, I can see that they are looking or trying to see where MP is @ that moment while walking. Then the lady started asking is that my drone, I said yes and added just flying around. And out of the blue in an intimidating tone of voice @ least as it sounded to me..she said "Don't ever fly in my backyard or I will shoot it down". I pretty sure that I did not say anything after that...kept my cool and focus and safely bring MP back down w/c @ that time the battery already giving me a warning. Closed the garaged door and went inside. Disclosure I'm not a very confrontational person.

How would you handle it?
You didn't do anything wrong. People are just very angry and look for things to ***** about. I'd just ignore her and avoid people's property.

People tend to fear that which they do not understand. The weaker the person, the more they feel the need to assert control where they feel they have none.

I believe the best remedy is education, as some have stated, for the sake of our airspace liberties. But there are some people so far gone that anything but showing some spine will be a needless waste of time leading to more wastes of time. Its a tricky balance.

People tend to fear that which they do not understand. The weaker the person, the more they feel the need to assert control where they feel they have none.

I believe the best remedy is education, as some have stated, for the sake of our airspace liberties. But there are some people so far gone that anything but showing some spine will be a needless waste of time leading to more wastes of time. Its a tricky balance.

As for me, I intend mostly to fly out in nature where nobody will be bothered. But I feel bad for, say, companies doing drone shots for high end real estate marketing packages. That could be a real PR nightmare.

That person was an *******. I usually carry a pistol (licensed of course). I would have said yeah and if you step on my toes I will knock you out. I'm 6'5" 280 I'm not impressed.

Earlier that day.....

How would you handle it?

Then the lady started asking is that my drone, I said yes and added just flying around. And out of the blue in an intimidating tone of voice @ least as it sounded to me..she said "Don't ever fly in my backyard or I will shoot it down".

What I would have liked to say... Me: "Is that your baby in the stroller?" Her: "yes" Me: "Don't ever let it play on my lawn or I'll squirt it with a hose"

What I would have actually said... Me: "OK"

Reactions: TB0NE77
Find out where they live and send them an aisle shot of their kids playing in their backyard. That ought to do it for ya!

I'm in the Kawartha Lakes area

Griz

I also think you were the adult in this matter and implemented the correct " silence is golden " move.
I'm not sure about laws where you are but here in Ontario , Canada if someone threatens you , and I see her comment as a threat. You can contact the law and if you explain you fear for your safety or life due to her comment and that she knows where you reside. You can request a " peace bond " where a court appearance will keep her away from your property or yourself regardless of where you are when you incounter her at a court determined distance and timeframe or she will be charged and possibly jailed. I know this is an extreme measure , but no one should be subjected to a potential life threading comment to you or your property/possessions. Just make sure you were within your legal rights while flying where you are if you go that route if applicable where you reside.
Personally I do not fly in any populated areas , neighborhoods or so so areas. I prefer wide open space without interference by humanoids .
Good luck :)

what country is that in?? its NOT in the US..
in the US 400ft is a guideline for section 336 pilots NOT a regulation.

BTW the US federally has NO aerial trespass laws..

nor are local and state regulations allowed for aerial trespass because of FAA/federal preemption of ALL airspace to ground level and the Commerce Clause(basis for the enabling legislation for the FAA) in short Aerial Trespass doesnt exist in the US Federal court system and is not allowed to exist cause of federal preemption over state or local courts.
what does exist and has been used by folks aggrieved with the activities of drone pilots
is the civil tort of
"Intrusion upon Seclusion", it has already been used in Santa Rosa Superior Court in 2015 to successfully sue an idiot using a drone to see in a neighbors back windows.

BTW some pilots wear either a gopro on a chest harness or an earpiece POV cam to capture all interaction with the general public to prevent "he said she said " sitreps with neighbors ..

hzl

Yes, be an ambassador. For many people you will be the first person to put a human face on the drone situation. Drones have a negative image right now. This is not the time to make a statement and defy your neighbors. The aerial trespass limit in many areas is 500 feet, and we are limited to 400 feet altitude, so they do have legal rights.

Personally, I avoid flying near my home. If I do fly, it will be straight up to 3 or 4 hundred feet, and then keep moving. My goal is just to be a dot in the sky, with almost no sound, and with luck get my great photos and videos without bugging anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh