DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Received a Death Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier that day.....
Brought MP @ work yesterday to DEMO it to my friend in the parking lot @ work and he was really impressed by it. Flew it a few minutes in B mode and few more minutes in other modes. Everything went well and am really proud of the MP performance. So in short, I have a few more juice from the battery I was using.
After getting home from work yesterday I decided to use the remaining juice of the battery.
Went to my garage opened the garage door took off from my driveway and flew it @ around 200+ ft Alt around the hood. Then this couple walked by pushing a baby stroller across the street from my driveway, I can see that they are looking or trying to see where MP is @ that moment while walking. Then the lady started asking is that my drone, I said yes and added just flying around. And out of the blue in an intimidating tone of voice @ least as it sounded to me..she said "Don't ever fly in my backyard or I will shoot it down". I pretty sure that I did not say anything after that...kept my cool and focus and safely bring MP back down w/c @ that time the battery already giving me a warning. Closed the garaged door and went inside. Disclosure I'm not a very confrontational person.

Did I do something wrong?
What would you do if you were in my shoes @ that point?
How would you handle it?
De-escalation is always best WHEN it works. Sometimes people just huff and puff because they are uneducated about our hobby. Or.....Well, you could just say that since you ARE on a spy mission you now know where they live and you have just recorded everything they said for the authorities and you are reporting them for making a felonious threat. Orrrr, your craft has full counter measure capability for active threats and is fully armed. Help them engage their fantasies...they really do want to believe this stuff.

De-escalation is always best WHEN it works. Sometimes people just huff and puff because they are uneducated about our hobby. Or.....Well, you could just say that since you ARE on a spy mission you now know where they live and you have just recorded everything they said for the authorities and you are reporting them for making a felonious threat. Orrrr, your craft has full counter measure capability for active threats and is fully armed. Help them engage their fantasies...they really do want to believe this stuff.
OMG, Brilliant..
I LOVE the "Craft has full counter measure capability for active threats and is fully armed" bit..
The Terminators H/K's or Robocops ED209 come to mind..lol
Need an active button on tablet that will play a loud "Woop Woop, Threat detected, Implementing protection mode" .wav/mp3.

... or... and I admit this is not a popular viewpoint ... :)

... we could stop flying our aircraft where other people live...

Reactions: dbyantis
Contradicting the FAA says it's illegal to shoot down a drone. Federal. There are certain stupid states that are saying otherwise. The laws contradict each other. So if you live in a state where it's been passed technically it's only on a state level and then we have altitude and privacy to worry about. If they shoot you down make sure the weight hits their window in the process hahaha jk. Point is it's dangerous to have that kind of weight fall uncontrollably. It won't stick. Someone will get hurt.

@Top Hat, where did this happen? After posting an aerial crime scene photo from my neighborhood (showing yellow police tape around a home, nothing more) at our nextdoor.com community forums, I was told in no uncertain terms that doing so was illegal. I had to bite my tongue - and I'm glad I did. Because, as it turns out, in Florida, a law passed last year which does prohibit the use of unmanned aerial platforms to capture photos/video of private property (without WRITTEN consent) if it reveals more than can be seen from the street level.

I posted this over at the Phantompilots website in January after doing the research on the new law:

The way I read statute 934.50, a violation of the statute occurs the moment anyone uses their Phantom to capture video of someone's property with enough clarity to identify the property. The term "surveillance" is identified quite clearly as:

(e) “Surveillance” means:
2.) With respect to privately owned real property, the observation of such property’s physical improvements with sufficient visual clarity to be able to determine unique identifying features or its occupancy by one or more persons.
Thus, if the house is identifiable, it's being "surveilled". Further, unlike conventional photography that occurs with telescopic lenses, or from a raised platform, or from manned aircraft, if filming from a "drone", the subjects expectation of privacy is different:

(3)(b)...For purposes of this section, a person is presumed to have a reasonable expectation of privacy on his or her privately owned real property if he or she is not observable by persons located at ground level in a place where they have a legal right to be, regardless of whether he or she is observable from the air with the use of a drone.
If I understand that correctly, someone in their back yard, for example, walking in the open behind their privacy fence, suddenly has legal privacy expectation. If you can see them from the building next door, no privacy is expected, but from a drone, it's a violation.

In other words, you only have an expectation of privacy in your back yard from drones, not from your neighbor who's filming you from his second story window or perched up on a ladder.

The statute does not specify enforcement/punishment, and is therefore not a criminal statute. The only "remedy" it lists is civil action brought by the "victim". Thus, someone would have to prove that your Phantom recorded them without written consent. Of course, with most of us promptly uploading our videos to YouTube, that may not be so difficult.

Since the statute permits prevailing victims to recover punitive damages AND attorney's fees, the Phantom operator could be in for some heavy expenses. Without the wording of recovering attorney's fees, any 'victim' would have a hard time retaining an attorney - as even a victory would likely not cover the expenses in representing their plaintiff. But, now that the law firms are assured compensation (as much as 2x multiplier if taken to verdict) for their legal fees, you get stuff like this:

Florida Passes First Unmanned Drone Law (Morgan & Morgan)

upload_2017-1-13_18-1-9-png.73312

They're openly looking for 'victims'. How long before the "my lawyer got me $400k after my neighbor filmed me in my back yard" commercials start airing?

Thus, to any/all Florida fliers, I would strongly recommend you NOT record your flights if you're capturing private property w/o written consent. And if you do, do NOT post it publicly.​

Yep. Florida flyer here. Knew there were restrictions but honestly didn't know the letter of the law like this. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: erkme73
To ease up on some speculations, I fly every other day in my neighborhood @ height greater than this 1 where I encountered this 2 young couples. Like I said, I was just using up the remaining juice of the battery that day and when that incident happened I was already descending coz I can tell that @ any moment the battery will start alarming, that is when this incident happened. They saw the MP at low enough altitude and the lady started w/ her thing about it. I know I am w/ in 5 mi of a Heliport (Sutter Hospital), noticed was given and received w/ "fly safely advice" from that Heliport. This info was redacted from the OP coz I don't think it matter. So now I just take off from my backyard straight up 300' then roam.

If i'm flying in my neighborhood I don't fly low enough to bother anyone. I usually try to stay above 200-300ft to minimize noise. Luckily, anytime anyone has seen me flying in the neighborhood, they are usually very receptive and amazed by the technology. Most husbands end up wanting to buy one themselves right away!

But if someone was that over bearing and decided to take out their shotgun - good luck! Birdshot only has about a 40yd maximum effective range and there's no way i'd be closer than that. They'll go to jail for discharging a firewarm illegally and my bird would be unscathed. May end up skipping that house for Halloween trick or treating that year too.

Reactions: kona
To ease up on some speculations, I fly every other day in my neighborhood @ height greater than this 1 where I encountered this 2 young couples. Like I said, I was just using up the remaining juice of the battery that day and when that incident happened I was already descending coz I can tell that @ any moment the battery will start alarming, that is when this incident happened. They saw the MP at low enough altitude and the lady started w/ her thing about it. I know I am w/ in 5 mi of a Heliport (Sutter Hospital), noticed was given and received w/ "fly safely advice" from that Heliport. This info was redacted from the OP coz I don't think it matter. So now I just take off from my backyard straight up 300' then roam.

Which Sutter? I live somewhat close to a Sutter.

A simple, polite "**** off" is all that's required there.
Could you educate us as to how to politely say, "**** off" to someone?

Or perhaps you need some education in what constitutes civil, polite behavior.

You live in a world with other human beings that, despite how it might frustrate you, have an equal right to expect all sorts of civil, cooperative behaviors from others (like you) so that we can peacefully share this space we live in.

Your approach is likely to escalate the tension and negative direction of the encounter. Possibly to violence, if the escalation continues.

Your approach works if the other person is a rational, reasonable, individual. But this woman proved herself to be a nut-case with her out-of-the-blue comment. I would have just written her off.
By that reasoning there are many nutcases posting here, and they should be written off.

After all, I've heard plenty of off-the-cuff threats, statements, etc. from Mavic pilots about what they are going to do to someone who interferes with them that include violence.

If simply popping off with exaggerated hyperbole constitutes being a "nutcase" then we're in a lot of trouble. We have at least an asylum worth of nutcases posting to these, and the Phantom forums.

A more reasonable, and 100% likely interpretation of this is she is a quite reasonable, nice individual that simply was influenced by much of the bad press she's been seeing about drones, and got a bit frustrated by the idea of the OP hovering around her house spying on her family. While this is certainly a completely mistaken perspective on the OP, it's not unreasonable given what the public is hearing and reading about drones.

So she "popped off" and used some exaggerated hyperbole to deal with something she was conditioned to be paranoid of by our press. To take a comment like this and conclude that she's some sort of dangerous individual shooting at **** willy-nilly is what's unreasonable.

As someone else said, be an ambassador for our hobby. Help turn around the BS everyone's getting from the press. Don't reinforce it by, well, acting just like the ignorant press is saying.

And after 92 post I believe you guy's have beat the horse to death .
I see no need for this to go on .

CLOSED

Reactions: Mavic Gang AZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member