DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Might have bought a stolen Mavic from Kijiji

Due diligence or not, you will not have to worry about DJI disabling it. If it's stolen, and the law tracks you down, you will lose the drone. It's illegal to be in possession of stolen property.

Apparently, you don't have a receipt. Strike one!

Of course, it is remotely possible that it's all on the up-and-up!

Well it's almost $700 less than retail (taxes in). Mine is store bought with a credit card which means I get a year extended warranty... a month of loss protection, etc. Still, it's not worth the difference... hmm...

Unless you knownly buy a stolen item you can't be held accountable for it

In Canada it will come down to whether or not you are a "bond fide purchaser for value without notice."

The facts you present suggest that you were aware prior to purchase that something might be off, a discount of 33% off retail before taxes for a sealed box should raise suspicion. You followed that up with questioning the seller as to where he got the drone and asked for a receipt. He told you it was a gift and he already had one.

You then proceeded to activate the drone and do a test flight, all of which is reasonable. You paid him and then took the drone and went on your way.

The question is at this point have you done your due diligence? It would seem that you have, unlike cars or most other forms of expensive personal property, I doubt a PPSA search would yield much, though you should always do this when buying higher value personal articles (vehicles, travel trailers, etc).

The potential trouble arises from your subsequent messaging sellers and realizing it is the same person. You can safely presume now that something questionable may be going on.

You also posted your doubts to a public forum which can be accessed by anyone. You should not in any circumstances purchase another drone from this individual as it may taint the first purchase.

This is not provided as legal advice and is merely an opinion. Should you require legal advice, talk to a licensed lawyer in your province.
Well said.. summarized my buying experience. Now.. to enjoy the drone!!

Listen, whatever you posted is irrelevant... unless you knew you bought a stolen drone, (which you would be dumb to knowingly buy a stolen item and then post it on the internet) you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 01s0uljah
Unless you knownly buy a stolen item you can't be held accountable for it

This is true but it is also true that if the item is found to be stolen the police will take it from you and return it to the rightful owner. Your money is gone up in smoke.

Rob

This is true but it is also true that if the item is found to be stolen the police will take it from you and return it to the rightful owner. Your money is gone up in smoke.

Rob

Long shot. But maybe

I must admit that I don't know how Canadian law would treat this, but there are two issues. One is buying stolen merchandise, and on the count I think you're in the clear. The second issue is if it's determined to be stolen. In the US the item would go back to its rightful owner, and you would be out your money.

I must admit that I don't know how Canadian law would treat this, but there are two issues. One is buying stolen merchandise, and on the count I think you're in the clear. The second issue is if it's determined to be stolen. In the US the item would go back to its rightful owner, and you would be out your money.

Same in Canada. Of course, sufficient proof would be required, but same.

Thanks all for your input. I'm just gonna fly this **** thing and enjoy it. If anything happens I'll deal with it. I have all records of our conversation presale and after sale if that helps at all. We can lock this thread! See you guys around the forum!!

Reactions: SeaComms
Very interesting he'd let you try and fly before paying... if it was a shady deal. You'd think he wants to be in and out of there quick.

Wait a minute, I feel like I'm sensing that some of the posts are implying I may be the scammer. If not, ignore me. I'm obviously new to the drone scene but have RC-on toad experience. I just really wanted to know if there could be any issues flying a stolen drone from the store..
I don't think DJI has "On Star" capabilities just not yet anyway. I think the right thing to do is to follow your gut and go to your local police station and explain to them just like you posted here and take it from there. Just my opinion.

Hey Guys!

A new first time drone flyer here! I met up with a friend I haven't seen in a while and he was flying a DJI Inspire 1 and instantly had the urge to buy a drone. He recommended a DJI Mavic for a beginner and I searched Kijiji. Ran across a few ads and found some brand new in box for 900 Canadian which is a huge discount from $1350 retail At first I was skeptical so I asked him where he got it from and for the receipt. He said it was a present and he already had one but it was sealed.

When we met up, the box was sealed and completely brand new, I went through the activation and did a quick test flight and all was good. Paid him and went on my way.

Before messaging this ad, I had messaged a couple of other ads and got a response after i made the purchase. Turns out to be the same guy using a different account and the same contact number. Turns out this guy has a bunch of brand new in box DJI Mavics.

If these are stolen (maybe from a store), what could I potentially run into here? Could DJI ground my drone? I'm feeling a bit crappy now thinking I was sold a stolen unit. Hard to say where got them from, but I messaged him under another account to buy a "few" units and he said he was able to get them..

Thanks and hope to see you guys around!

Over the last few weeks New boxed Mavic Pro's have been available for $900 in my area. Two of our club members have bought one and as with you all is good. They were told a DJiIdistributor was selling them at the lower price because he got them at the wholesale price.

Over the last few weeks New boxed Mavic Pro's have been available for $900 in my area. Two of our club members have bought one and as with you all is good. They were told a DJiIdistributor was selling them at the lower price because he got them at the wholesale price.

That's a pretty huge discount! And still making money off 900. MSRP is 1350. A $450 discount before tax seems like they want to fire sale it. If it was me, selling for $1100 would still get sellers.

Where are you located?

That's a pretty huge discount! And still making money off 900. MSRP is 1350. A $450 discount before tax seems like they want to fire sale it. If it was me, selling for $1100 would still get sellers.

Where are you located?
Greetings

Do not know where the $1350 cost for the basic MP came from - here in Sacramento they are only $978 at Sam's club and $999
at Best Buy. However, Nine hundred for the combo package would be very suspicious.

Fly Save

Ron

Greetings

Do not know where the $1350 cost for the basic MP came from - here in Sacramento they are only $978 at Sam's club and $999
at Best Buy. However, Nine hundred for the combo package would be very suspicious.

Fly Save

Ron
I'm from Canada. It's 1350 Canadian dollars.

I'm from Canada. It's 1350 Canadian dollars.
That makes since and a 10% discount is not unusual in California - in fact I got 10% off my last purchase from Best Buy.

$900 on $1350 MSRP is just about a 35% discount.
In California the the actual store "MSRP" IS $999 U.S. dollars no matter what DJI displays as the normal price - even DJI sells it cheaper.

Anyway the Mavic Pro is a great fun drone
Nice chatting with you.

Enjoy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4