DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new firmware

I've installed latest. Again RTH altitude is reset and multiple modes turned off by default. Good job I check this fiddling! Flew it twice tonight at dusk. Should have some good footage of the coast near me.

I had this message too after an update and had to ship it to DJI for repair. After a few days, i get an email that they need to replace parts for the repair which I disputed since it wasn't in a crash. After a couple of weeks, they emailed that they will be doing the repair under warranty. I just got the drone back and have safely flown it but it's complaining about a firmware upgrade in which I will not do.... anyway, I hope all works out for you.
Say it ain't so!
On a few threads I've read, it seems Air Encoder Errors might be related to a camera and/or gimbal issue. Is there anyone who's a wizard on fixes for this particular thing. DJI Support is closed till Monday and I'm losing a beautiful weekend of flying!

I wonder what they improved in the RTH. Mine's still inconsistent after the latest firmware upgrade. I just tried it and it recorded the home point and later RTH started landing it in a tree 3 metres from where it recorded the point. I had to abort the RTH.
I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Usually when it takes off it hits a "maximum ceiling" at about 4 metres. Then it records the home point and says it has. Then it will go as high as you wish. Sometimes it comes EXACTLY back home, other times it misses it by several metres. All in broad daylight and starting from over 10 metres away (otherwise it just comes straight down wherever it is).

I wonder what they improved in the RTH. Mine's still inconsistent after the latest firmware upgrade. I just tried it and it recorded the home point and later RTH started landing it in a tree 3 metres from where it recorded the point. I had to abort the RTH.
I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Usually when it takes off it hits a "maximum ceiling" at about 4 metres. Then it records the home point and says it has. Then it will go as high as you wish. Sometimes it comes EXACTLY back home, other times it misses it by several metres. All in broad daylight and starting from over 10 metres away (otherwise it just comes straight down wherever it is).

What helps me is to always go straight up to 30 feet when you takeoff. Stay there for a few seconds and allow the Mavic to get a solid image of the takeoff point below. When I do this it always returns to my landing pad.

Reactions: MavPro75
I took the plunge with .550 today and had several flights that all went well. My update was via wifi and encountered no issues.
All my settings had to be reset as others have mentioned. Had to check two boxes when I flew into a 5-mile airport zone - not sure if that was true on .500. Overall I see no major issues with it. Was using my iphone 7.

Trouble-free update done via my iPhone. Just need a chance to fly it now.

May I know what API is?

Application program interface

In the case of hardware like the Mavic It's kind of like a software driver that accepts a certain set of commands and acts as an interface from software written by other people to the drone. These commands allow the third party software developer to send commands to the remote and then they get passed to the drone. Commands like pan the camera down. It also has commands that will tell the drone to transmit back a specific piece of information like how many volts is the battery producing. A company like DJI supplies the API files along with a list of commands it accepts and typically some sample code that demonstrates a few of the commands in action. The programmer then writes his software and interfaces it to the API so it can then talk to the drone.

Rob

Reactions: PapaWhisky
My horizon is off - never had issue before update. Thought this was a self calibrating thing? Thoughts?
Mine also.
I just got a notice yesterday or today (4/8) that an update was due. I'm not sure if that's the one being discussed in this thread, or a new one. In any case, I was just about to break down and try to calibrate my gimbal, but I'll see what the update does first. Mine is being weird... sometimes it straightens itself mid flight, other times, it stays crooked.

Application program interface

In the case of hardware like the Mavic It's kind of like a software driver that accepts a certain set of commands and acts as an interface from software written by other people to the drone. These commands allow the third party software developer to send commands to the remote and then they get passed to the drone. Commands like pan the camera down. It also has commands that will tell the drone to transmit back a specific piece of information like how many volts is the battery producing. A company like DJI supplies the API files along with a list of commands it accepts and typically some sample code that demonstrates a few of the commands in action. The programmer then writes his software and interfaces it to the API so it can then talk to the drone.

Rob

Thank you!

Might be a coincident, but.... after upgrading to this version I experienced connection problems between the GO 4 app and my Android (Samsung S6) via the supplied short cable on the left hand side. The connection became unstable, suddenly disconnecting and reconnecting. I'm happy it occured already during warmup before takeoff. Troubleshooting concluded the short cable to be at fault, as connection through the center connector on the RC proved to be stable. Later today I found a post on this site explaining that it is a know issue connecting Android phones by the side cable connector. But I have not experienced this error before (although being a newbee with brief experience); for me the problem first surfaced after upgrading from .500 to .550 version. As stated in the beginning, it just might be a coincident, but I thought I should share.

This happens to me all the time with the short cable, I received my mavic in mid feb, and it's always been an issue. I'm on an iPhone 6s+. I just use a regular cable, in the bottom USB port, problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiowa
Been tried 4 flight seems the 550 more stable, but I didn't see any additional feature added on it.

It took me half the day today to install these updates!! I finally used my hp and the dji assistant 2 program to do it. That even took 3 attempts. Pain in my butt!!!

Reactions: HWal
Sadly for me, the FW upgrade disabled my Mavic. It now gives me a "Air encoder error 0x8000000" message and won't work. Have tried rolling back the FW and doing a Factory Reset via the Assistant app. No luck. Have sent through a request to DJI Support, but if anyone has wisdom on how to fix this, I'd be very interested. This weekend is the best weather we've had this year in the South of France. ☹️
I got this error on 01.03.0400 I think it was when using a particular sd card for the first time. I don't use that card anymore and haven't had the error since.

Anyone know why it just sits at 100%? Does nothing. If i i close the app it shows stary
It took me half the day today to install these updates!! I finally used my hp and the dji assistant 2 program to do it. That even took 3 attempts. Pain in my butt!!!

Hi terry exactly what i did, and have a hp dv7 laptop to. It says its newest firmware but when i plug in the ipad to the controler it still wanting me to dl the update. It jist sits at 100% and does nothing, it ran a battery down just sitting there. If i close the app and come back it says its downloaded and i cant click install, the blue button does nothing. I am using a ipad mini 4 to. I am going to try using my LG phone, first update when i got it went quick and easy. No issues.

Sadly for me, the FW upgrade disabled my Mavic. It now gives me a "Air encoder error 0x8000000" message and won't work. Have tried rolling back the FW and doing a Factory Reset via the Assistant app. No luck. Have sent through a request to DJI Support, but if anyone has wisdom on how to fix this, I'd be very interested. This weekend is the best weather we've had this year in the South of France. ☹️

FOUND A FIX!
After a bit more digging, found a post from @BD0G with a fix for the Air Encoder Error message. The problem relates to the Micro SD card. Details here, in case anyone else has this problem:
Air Encoder Error (0x800020) - Possible Fix

Anyone know why it just sits at 100%? Does nothing. If i i close the app it shows stary
The last step in the update process seems to be rebooting the remote controller. This will interrupt the USB connection to the GO app. Sometimes the GO app will not detect the reconnection after the remote is up again, so it stays at displaying 100% and does not say finished. Closing and restarting the GO app should do the job.

Reactions: Mr Spock
figured id let anyone know with a problem like mine, I used my android phone and did the update quick and easy no issue, hooked up the ipad again and it showed latest software and worked just fine, no idea why the ipad would be hanging up at 100% downloaded.

Reactions: mildim
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead