DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northeast Pennsylvania!

Yeah the Meetup place is a good start. Anything scheduled there I'll also make sure to post here as well in case people aren't members of that group (even thought it's free)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'll stay out of atti mode, give ya a shot ;)

Well I have a Mavic, Tony has the inspire 2. We raced my Mavic vs his Inspire 2 and he kicked my butt. I think acceleration wise they are equal. But once you get over 30 mph, the Mavic takes longer reaching top speed and the Inspire 2 just keeps accelerating. I have a good video with speed overlay I'll upload sometime of the race.

Is it possible to fly at Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park or Schuylkill Banks Boardwalk or Paine's Park as they are all within 5 miles of PHL?

Possibly. I know I've seen people flying next to boathouse row. So I think as long as you stay out of the Philly no-fly zone and are below 400, and barring any thing else I would have to look on a sectional map - you might be ok.

Also found this article: The 5 Best Places to Drone in Pennsylvania this Spring

I want to check out that gorge.

Possibly. I know I've seen people flying next to boathouse row. So I think as long as you stay out of the Philly no-fly zone and are below 400, and barring any thing else I would have to look on a sectional map - you might be ok.

Also found this article: The 5 Best Places to Drone in Pennsylvania this Spring

I want to check out that gorge.

I'm a noob to all this, so if I'm asking questions that have already been answered. Looking at the HiveMapper map, the only sites marked are major/large airports. The only other no-fly zones seem to be around national parks (like Independence Hall, etc.). Do we not have to keep away from Helipads as well? The B4UFly app seems to have most of Philadelphia and the surrounding area marked as no-fly. Am I reading something wrong?

...and the Gorge looks a cool place to fly!!

Last edited:
Just went and signed up on the QCE meetup.

I'm a noob to all this, so if I'm asking questions that have already been answered. Looking at the HiveMapper map, the only sites marked are major/large airports. The only other no-fly zones seem to be around national parks (like Independence Hall, etc.). Do we not have to keep away from Helipads as well? The B4UFly app seems to have most of Philadelphia and the surrounding area marked as no-fly. Am I reading something wrong?

...and the Gorge looks a cool place to fly!!

Short answer: It's complicated - but trust B4UFly above all other sites, because it's tied into the FAA (and developed by them)

Long Answer: It's super complicated. But essentially you need to trust B4UFly because it has more accurate data and it's in real time. For instance, right now if you want to fly near Philly or in the burbs - you can't. There is a Temporary Flight Restriction (TRF) in place for a VIP movement. So it's always good to check that app and see whats going on. You can even use the planner to plan ahead and see if there are any restrictions for the date and time your flying.

Now if you look at the FAA guidelines they vaguely state "I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports". Doesn't really give much information or miles. But using the app you know that within five miles of an airport you'll get a warning. Basically if you want to operate within that area, you are responsible for notifying the airport of your location. The app can actually get the data by asking you about height you will fly, time, and something else....can't remember. I'm assuming it sends this data somewhere....but if your going to operate next to an active airport - let them know. I have my UHF radio with me so I can monitor tower frequencies and know when people are taking off and landing.

But to make things more complex, you also have to know that if you fly in Class B or C airspace you need to get ATC permission. Most airports the Class B or C airspace doesn't start at the surface, so staying under 400 should be ok...but again - you need to be aware.

So in short...use B4UFly/

Short answer: It's complicated - but trust B4UFly above all other sites, because it's tied into the FAA (and developed by them)

Long Answer: It's super complicated. But essentially you need to trust B4UFly because it has more accurate data and it's in real time. For instance, right now if you want to fly near Philly or in the burbs - you can't. There is a Temporary Flight Restriction (TRF) in place for a VIP movement. So it's always good to check that app and see whats going on. You can even use the planner to plan ahead and see if there are any restrictions for the date and time your flying.

Now if you look at the FAA guidelines they vaguely state "I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports". Doesn't really give much information or miles. But using the app you know that within five miles of an airport you'll get a warning. Basically if you want to operate within that area, you are responsible for notifying the airport of your location. The app can actually get the data by asking you about height you will fly, time, and something else....can't remember. I'm assuming it sends this data somewhere....but if your going to operate next to an active airport - let them know. I have my UHF radio with me so I can monitor tower frequencies and know when people are taking off and landing.

But to make things more complex, you also have to know that if you fly in Class B or C airspace you need to get ATC permission. Most airports the Class B or C airspace doesn't start at the surface, so staying under 400 should be ok...but again - you need to be aware.

So in short...use B4UFly/

So I used the B4UFly app, planning for 1/28 at 9am on Boathouse Row. Gives me a long list of airports which are causing a "Warning Action Required" status.

60297a8f86f9b7283d61d56a058a880e.jpg

Does this mean I can't fly?

So I used the B4UFly app, planning for 1/28 at 9am on Boathouse Row. Gives me a long list of airports which are causing a "Warning Action Required" status.

60297a8f86f9b7283d61d56a058a880e.jpg

Does this mean I can't fly?

Doesn't mean you can't fly. Most of those are helipads. So if your flying on a Saturday most businesses are closed so you should be ok. I would still use a radio to monitor frequencies. If you want company, I'd love to fly near boathouse row. Haven't been there in quite a long time. Will be a bit cold, but should be fun. Where do you park over there?

One from Fairmount Park back in 2015 with the Inspire 1. Ended-up being used by Center For Missing and Exploited Children for a 20 year old unsolved murder.

Doesn't mean you can't fly. Most of those are helipads. So if your flying on a Saturday most businesses are closed so you should be ok. I would still use a radio to monitor frequencies. If you want company, I'd love to fly near boathouse row. Haven't been there in quite a long time. Will be a bit cold, but should be fun. Where do you park over there?

Hadn't checked the weather yet, you're right - does look a bit chilly over the weekend. Hopefully the following weekend will be a bit warmer. Only got my Mavic on Friday, so not had it up yet :( (very wet weekend in Philly). Would be great to meet up with someone who has more experience. I'll give you a shout if I'm heading over to the Row in the future - to see if you are free to go. Cheers.

Last edited:
Yeah looks like today and tomorrow might be good flying days this week. Too bad I have to be at work and usually only get about an hour after work of light before sunset. But if you just got it Friday, I would recommend finding a nice open space and just practicing flying with it.

Reactions: Nick Thomas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe