DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

Yeah ... looks like some of mine. I was going crazy. When I went to 2.7K @ 30fps / Shutter 60 / ND 16 / ISO 100 / Manual the Yaw smoothness went up considerably. I had no luck at all with 24 fps .... weird I thought.

Reactions: Chase R
Most LCD PC monitors are fairly consistently set for 60 Hz refresh these days. The 24 "cinematic" and 25 "european" frame rates are likely to show artifacts of frames dropping or holding. Is that all we're facing here? Not sure, because OP only uploaded 720p footage. Maybe low computer performance is adding to the troubles.

Reactions: Kilrah
My Mavic had the same artifacts across the following resolutions
Tried 24 and 30 fps at respective shutter speeds.
Also tried pal vs ntsc
Changed flicker rating

Flashed back old firmware and tested all over again

Flashed back to most current at time firmware

Always the same results

Also note that I tried a brand new SD card that is overkill for the Mavic.

These artifacts are present in raw files and are not a result of YouTube processing...

Reactions: Slayerstwin
My Mavic had the same artifacts across the following resolutions
Tried 24 and 30 fps at respective shutter speeds.
Also tried pal vs ntsc
Changed flicker rating

Flashed back old firmware and tested all over again

Flashed back to most current at time firmware

Always the same results

Also note that I tried a brand new SD card that is overkill for the Mavic.

These artifacts are present in raw files and are not a result of YouTube processing...
Yeah, that's really a bummer. I really hope we see improvement when you receive your replacement. Many of us I'm sure are anxious to know.

Ahh .... what are you settings? Better yet, could we see a video?
I usually shoot in Art, but I like the new D-Log since the FW update. This vid shot in 4k/30, ND filter, ISO 100, 60-100 fps. D-Cinelike -1,-1,-1 and color corrected in DaVinci Resolve, albeit not very well, as I am relatively inexperienced. Pardon the oversaturation and mismanagement of contrast, but at least you can see panning. Just a side note, if the viewing device isn't up to the task, the video panning looks jumpy to me too. I downcode to 20kbs output. Might need to download to view correctly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85571036/vids/threadpost.mov

The jerkiness while panning depends quite a bit what you are viewing on, also it often gets worse after any sort of editing - some clues there.
I don't think it's something to be sending it back for.
Keep panning to a minimum in the finished video and when recording keep movement very slow.

Reactions: grizzard and halley
You rarely see panning in professional aerial video's to avoid the same effect, in post production of the finished video.

I have noticed this effect even with my P4 as well as my Mavic ... I just live with it.. maybe I'm just to easy to please.
Or just buy an Inspire 2 if its so important to get that level of perfection

After all, these are just hobbyist quads anyway

I think it's a manifestation of rolling shutter which can be an issue with all cameras when panning if you move too fast. There are further ways to limit it on cameras where you have more comprehensive control.
Slowing shutter with NDs and moving slowly is all you have with Maic.

There are some processing tools will reduce it, Mercalli comes to mind.
It's probably not worth the extra time and effort unless semi-pro.
proDAD Mercalli V4 SAL+ now with Rolling Shutter/CMOS correction!

I think it's a manifestation of rolling shutter which can be an issue with all cameras when panning if you move too fast. There are further ways to limit it on cameras where you have more comprehensive control.
Slowing shutter with NDs and moving slowly is all you have with Maic.

There are some processing tools will reduce it, Mercalli comes to mind.
It's probably not worth the extra time and effort unless semi-pro.
proDAD Mercalli V4 SAL+ now with Rolling Shutter/CMOS correction!

I had similar issue to OP when I first took flight... watched a few videos to set up EXP and associated settings correctly and added ND filters to get shutter near 2xFPS and slowed my yaw movement down.... all helped significantly but the real icing on the cake was a switch to 2.7k 30FPS ntsc (was previously experimenting with 24/25 FPS as live in Europe (PAL). 2.7k 30FPS seems to be a major sweet spot.
It's too easy to get carried away with the detail during editing... look at it through an 'observers' eyes and the footage now looks amazing!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: RobP62 and grizzard
Lol

Ok bud.

The artifacts in my video are directly off the SD card and it's not normal.
No clues there
The motion blur is not natural in any way.

And when I show unbiased observers they say it hurts there eyes or that the effect looks like moving pictures and is not fluid in any way.

This effect is not rolling shutter either
Nor is it the flashing issue with the H264 codec.

The jerkiness while panning depends quite a bit what you are viewing on, also it often gets worse after any sort of editing - some clues there.
I don't think it's something to be sending it back for.
Keep panning to a minimum in the finished video and when recording keep movement very slow.

I've noticed this too, but after reading this thread, I suspect it may have to do with the selected video format. The Mavic may be able to encode one format faster than another. Has anyone performed back-to-back tests using MOV and MP4 encoding?

I tried both and found no difference unfortunately.

One thing I did find interesting though is if you open up a 2.7k file in quick time the analyser reads file as only 45 mps whereas 4k was 60 mps.

I thought Mavic would write both resolutions at max 60 mps.

I've noticed this too, but after reading this thread, I suspect it may have to do with the selected video format. The Mavic may be able to encode one format faster than another. Has anyone performed back-to-back tests using MOV and MP4 encoding?

All good info guys and gals...

I've done 2 more flights today..
1 at 2.7k 30fps, 2.7k 24fps, corresponding x2 shutter speeds..and slower panning.
same settings as thread starter vid.

I'll upload at a higher quality into vimeo and provide on here.

I'm seeing same issue

cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: razors
I think some other have pointed out too, might this be an issue with the speed of the card?
Ive notice it myself that the card that I was using was a bottle neck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329