DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

yeh I'm with you.. that's why I'm kinda gutted I didn't just go for a P4P, but I just can't backpack with that sorta weight. I will get one when I settle in Oz and find my feet. If you're looking to get into film and doc making (which I am), it's gotta be done with P4P. However, for now the Mavic's what I've got and so far I've taken some epic stills but have yet yielded the best video from it.. 2.7k does look much better from your footage though. Will look to order the taco filters for when I'm back in the uk next month.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I hear ya sosmaverick!...I picked up the Taco RC non-multi coated ND simply because it's the set I wanted and ordered.. UV through ND64 non multi coated were in stock, the MC were not, and I needed/wanted some for when the mavic arrived. I very read that some users say get the MC for the small price increase. I guess there's mixed reviews for both. But I did get a MC ND64 in my set...havent used it yet, but did test all of them when powering on the mavic and had no issues with overload or touching other parts of gimbal.

Reactions: sosmaverick
I hear ya sosmaverick!...I picked up the Taco RC non-multi coated ND simply because it's the set I wanted and ordered.. UV through ND64 non multi coated were in stock, the MC were not, and I needed/wanted some for when the mavic arrived. I very read that some users say get the MC for the small price increase. I guess there's mixed reviews for both. But I did get a MC ND64 in my set...havent used it yet, but did test all of them when powering on the mavic and had no issues with overload or touching other parts of gimbal.

I'm currently shooting in exotic/tropical destinations, it's impossible to shoot film without some as it's just so bright and during sunset the mavic low light ability isn't great, to be expected mind. Thats why I've focused most of my time with the stills that this little camera produces (which I'm impressed with, other than the histogram which I sometimes find inaccurate) but I haven't had a chance to really look into its filming ability..

which filters would you say are the best for the mavic? I've heard the taco's are and don't disturb start up but are the multi coated definitely better? Or are there other brands I should also be considering?

Last edited:
Would a lower resolution and higher FPS eliminate the stuttering?

I don't know.

I decided on 4K, 3840×2160 24p long ago, even before having the bird, result of due diligence with the available online resources.

I am satisfied with the performance, including the limitations I've identified because I try to make my expectations match what I've actually purchased.

I choose to be in awe at what was given to my for 1200 bucks (...there are 2 IRU + 2 compasses + GPS on a 750 grams flying machine for Pete's sake!...go talk to any retired 727 Captain and tell them about it to see their faces...) and then elucidate potential viewers of my meager videos why they may be noticing some occasional less-than-optimal artifacts.

I am also a big fan of this bit:

MK

I'm currently shooting in exotic/tropical destinations, it's impossible to shoot film without some as it's just so bright and during sunset the mavic low light ability isn't great, to be expected mind. Thats why I've focused most of my time with the stills that this little camera produces (which I'm impressed with, other than the histogram which I sometimes find inaccurate) but I haven't had a chance to really look into its filming ability..

which filters would you say are the best for the mavic? I've heard the taco's are and don't disturb start up but are the multi coated definitely better? Or are there other brands I should also be considering?

I've read that others recommend the Polar Pro ND filters for mavic. The cost is higher compared to Taco RC brand.

I can't say if the Multi -Coated Taco are better than the Non-MC...I get the science behind it but have not tried them.

I think it's better to be able to power on the mavic with the filter installed rather than having to do it after for clearance issues. The Taco set I have are all good for startup.

Reactions: sosmaverick
still have no idea what I am supposed to be looking for, I'm staring at the lines of the door in the shed? on the left hand side and they seem straight in both videos. The only thing I'm noticing is there's like some clear wave thing that goes across the screen kind of like on the old tvs / vcr days. Maybe my screen is ****, or I've just been staring at these videos for way too long :(
The first image, the entire image, not just edges...slow or fast, has constant jerking/stuttering while the second one shows panning jitters that are more pronounced in the objects closer to the camera. I get that and the limitations of the smaller camera but the first one is just not OK. My ipad and iphone do better than that and certainly my P3P as I have compared them all. I don't expect high-end professional video from any of these devices, however, I do expect "decent" quality without having to have pro photography knowledge.

Reactions: Genko3D
There is nothing wrong with your Mavic.

All the considerations to reduce what you see have been addressed here, one way or another, mainly:

- ND Usage.
- Settings adjustments in DJI Go 4
- Formats and frame rates
- Post processing techniques.
- Moire reduction in PP through significant amounts of invested money.

There are only 3 considerations left:

1. Pans have to be extremely smooth with these kind of low-tier 4K consumer cameras.
2. If you start to decompose the price down from the Mavic's selling value through merchants profit margins, taxes, transportation, DJI's fixed and variable costs as a company and the various individual parts, you quickly come to the conclusion that this is a 50-75$-tops 4K camera. Don't expect it to be what it is not.
3. The more engaging the footage, the less noticeable the limitations.

The strong point of the Mavic is the "Cost-Performance-Compactness" triangle. Remove one of these 3 vertices and it is a less than optimal offer, regarding the other 2, including what pertains to overall video quality.

MK
Precisely ....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

I downloaded threadtest2.mp4 that Straff1 posted as I sometimes see the same issue with my Mavic. Some observations that someone more knowledgeable may be able to comment on:

The video noticeably stutters when panning in certain spots.
The stutter repeats in the same spots on each playback.
If I click back one or two seconds in the player, the stutter will be gone every 3rd to 10th play and look perfectly smooth.
Different players all seem to have the stutter, but they will all eventually play it back smoothly.
Looking frame to frame I don't see a 'jump' where the stutter should be.

Maybe that's why some people don't see the issue, they have a different player/decoder ? I'm PC based, VLC seems to stutter the worst. PotPlayer, SMPlayer seem better, and interestingly enough MS 'Movies & TV' seem to be consistently the smoothest.

Just throwing that out there from my limited testing, but maybe the same frames are getting dropped for a reason. Don't know enough how the videos are decoded to say, or if it's just eye fatigue making the video look better after repeating it 5 times! o_O I'll post if I stumble across anything else related to this!

VLC is the worst for me and Windows Media Player the smoothest. If you play a video twice it will usually be better, probably because some of the video has been cached.

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

If you honestly cannot see anything wrong with the videos I, hammer or anyone else posted then you need to watch again and read the whole thread before you start your ill informed discourse babble below.

There is most definitely something wrong with these Mavics and people like you coming in here and saying there is nothing wrong is only making the situation worse.

There is nothing wrong with your Mavic.

All the considerations to reduce what you see have been addressed here, one way or another, mainly:

- ND Usage.
- Settings adjustments in DJI Go 4
- Formats and frame rates
- Post processing techniques.
- Moire reduction in PP through significant amounts of invested money.

There are only 3 considerations left:

1. Pans have to be extremely smooth with these kind of low-tier 4K consumer cameras.
2. If you start to decompose the price down from the Mavic's selling value through merchants profit margins, taxes, transportation, DJI's fixed and variable costs as a company and the various individual parts, you quickly come to the conclusion that this is a 50-75$-tops 4K camera. Don't expect it to be what it is not.
3. The more engaging the footage, the less noticeable the limitations.

The strong point of the Mavic is the "Cost-Performance-Compactness" triangle. Remove one of these 3 vertices and it is a less than optimal offer, regarding the other 2, including what pertains to overall video quality.

MK

Reactions: hammer737
Here are a few vids where issue is evident

Mav Test2 - YouTube

Pat attention to staight edges like trees
Window frames
Buildings ect

Just realize you had a second video posted, can you give me time stamps that the problem starts happening? I'm staring at every window sill, edge, building. Just trying to know what I'm exactly looking out for. Also does it only show up on 4k monitors or would a regular LCD work?

Would this be considered not as smooth also?
This is the same constant, non-stop, fast or slow pan, "stutter" effect as my Mavic1 snow/shed clip. My advice is to send it back. This is not a settings issue, it is a camera/gimbal/sensor issue. OTOH if you (and others) are happy with it, carry on and enjoy.

Would this be considered not as smooth also?

That video is also not smooth. The buildings in this case don't move across the frame at a uniform speed. They appear in a certain position and then the next time they appear is a long distance from the first location giving it a jumpy look. It happens pretty fast but much slower than 24 or 30 times a second.

To bring the explanation to an extreme not using real numbers.

Time 0.0s: edge of building 'A' just appears on right side of screen
Time 0.5s: edge of building 'A' jumps two inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 1.0s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 1.5s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 2.0s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 2.5s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 3.0s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)

Hopefully this describes the issue.

In a perfect world the image would only move a pixel or two in each frame which would look super smooth like your eyes see real objects.

Reactions: hammer737
Here is mine of 'stuttering" video.
Look a bit better directly off the SD card, but you get the idea.

So you're 100% sure that the exact same settings/filters were used in each of your two samples presented? The second one looks very smooth while the first looks like everyone else's.

How does Mavic 2 look at high shutter speeds with no filter installed?

If you honestly cannot see anything wrong with the videos I, hammer or anyone else posted then you need to watch again and read the whole thread before you start your ill informed discourse babble below.

There is most definitely something wrong with these Mavics and people like you coming in here and saying there is nothing wrong is only making the situation worse.
razors: do you see the difference in my post #107 vids ?

So you're 100% sure that the exact same settings/filters were used in each of your two samples presented? The second one looks very smooth while the first looks like everyone else's.

How does Mavic 2 look at high shutter speeds with no filter installed?
Yes, recorded the settings. The one posted here was at the most often recommended settings as noted. All the settings I tried were the same, stuttering. Out in the field at greater distance same result, so being closer to objects did not make a difference. Even did same tests with my P3P with smooth results. And my iPad, and I-phone..even those were good for smoothness. As soon as my Mavic 2 arrived I tested (same temperature range of +6 +7 C) and settings (2nd clip). Did other settings also with consistent results. In fact, even factory default on Auto was same result. Have not tried with no filter yet...just too bright with our snow.
I also noticed, when comparing the two devices, that when the gimbal lock was in place there was a noticeable gap in the positioning (Mavic1) and wondered if it indicated some sort of alignment/position error? Will try to get pics up for that.
Gimbal1.JPG Gimbal2.JPG

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugsoft