DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

My personal experience...tried everything advised and imagined to no avail, hence returned and replaced. The only time I got no stutter is when the AC was sitting still! I got mine thru Amazon-DJI -30 day return policy. Had replacement in hand in 3 days. Have 30 days to check this one out but it's looking good so far. No experience with DJI directly.

I used my Costco Visa which doubles the warranty period. I wonder if that would help me secure a replacement.

Only know what Amazon requires. They issue a return label (no questions asked), and immediately ordered the replacement for shipping(guess they had some) at no cost. I have 30 days to get the old one back to them via UPS. If they don't get it by then, they bill for the new one. It is Amazon policy. Sold by DJI, shipped by Amazon.

Ughhhhhh yeah amazon is amazing. Literally order everything from them but when I tried to order the mavic it was giving 3-4 week back order where newegg said the following week with no tax. Last time I doubt amazon. Guess I'll contact newegg tmr

Firmly seated in both cases.

I'm almost certain it's not in the first pic. Next time you see the same scenario in the first pic shake the mavic slightly as if it was in the bag in transport and you should notice the gimbal slowly coming out. That's how I found out after opening up my bag to only find that the gimbal has "popped" out of the clip even with the cover on

That gimbal lock was not installed correctly in Gimbal 1 pic...I've seen a lot of users on other forums had it installed like that upon opening.
Pic 2 looks correct.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Ok, that was my concern. There was no way to install and correctly lock it in place without having that gap. It was snug and tight. The second one (correct) was also snug and could not be snugged with a gap. Just wondered if it had anything to do with stutter. Maybe others could check. You said yours arrived correctly installed. I didn't notice when I opened either of them, only after doing visual comparison of the two. Are u having stutter issues? Sorry to ask but losing track of who is and who isn't :)

I'm almost certain it's not in the first pic. Next time you see the same scenario in the first pic shake the mavic slightly as if it was in the bag in transport and you should notice the gimbal slowly coming out. That's how I found out after opening up my bag to only find that the gimbal has "popped" out of the clip even with the cover on
Returned it today, but spent several minutes trying to match the two for gimbal lock positions. Did not move, wiggle or drop out. Firmly seated in position in both pics.

Ughhhhhh yeah amazon is amazing. Literally order everything from them but when I tried to order the mavic it was giving 3-4 week back order where newegg said the following week with no tax. Last time I doubt amazon. Guess I'll contact newegg tmr
Amazon.ca has 9 in stock at this moment :)

I was thinking of trying at 1080, but haven't others had less than desirable results because of the recommended use of 1080 for FPV Devices?

Maybe there is an issue with Mavic regarding 1080, I don't know (i only have a Phantom 3), I'm talking in general regarding stuttering and frame rates. [emoji106][emoji16]

After reading this tread I went back to check on my videos. In some videos I have this stuttering (or flickering issue ) but in some other videos I don't have it. Could this be a software issue ? I was doing a lot testing in various camera settings the past weeks trying to track down the famous watercolor issue ...

Amazon.ca has 9 in stock at this moment :)

Yeah not sure if I should risk it at this point, there's so many other problems with the mavic (watercoloring, dropping out of the sky) and since I only have 5 days until my big trip can't chance getting and even worse one. You've returned your second one right?

Hi..1st flight with mavic test video..noticing jerky video playback with turning the mavic while stationary hovering. the forward video looks ok but when turn to left started the video is not as smooth throughtout the turn to the left and back to the right.
shot 4K UHD at 30fps..shutter at 1/60 second with Taco RC ND8 non MC filter installed. no color profile
stock setting for sharpness/constrast and saturation. Edited in FCP Uploaded at 720p.
Anyone have any thoughts?

1min long video/turn starts at :20sec noticeable at :26sec then throughtout

Thanks

Doesn't look too bad, by my eyes. Shooting 30fps and 1/60th is right and you are getting a natural motion blur. However, it is the physics of video that when panning the frames are being captured at one every 1/30th of a second. To not have any "hopping" from frame-to-frame you would be better off shooting at 60fps to get more frames which will smooth out the video. I follow Frederick Hagan on YouTube. He's a professional art director and videographer. He states that you will not be happy with your panning clips unless you slow way, way down. Straight ahead videos transition more slowly with objects in the scene. Panning is far more challenging technically. Check out this vid for a lot of good aerial video Q&A:

Reactions: cobra46
That's about when I see a small amount of it.

it's so weird after looking back at these at work and on my iphone I can't see the stuttering anymore. I guess it'd be more noticeable on a 4k. Wouldn't a higher frame rate allow for more detail to be captured to prevent the stuttering? keeping the shutter x2 for motion blur of course

Yeah not sure if I should risk it at this point, there's so many other problems with the mavic (watercoloring, dropping out of the sky) and since I only have 5 days until my big trip can't chance getting and even worse one. You've returned your second one right?
No, I still have the second one. Only got it Tuesday and did a quick test. Definitely better but only did initial testing as weather here is still cold. Read issues about cold temps causing the problem so waiting for warmer temps..around 6C and above. That is also why I compared vids from same temp shooting to try to make all conditions identical. Will do more tests next week as temp rises a bit as I don't want to add another variable.
I know 2nd one is better because I don't see the same stutter effect. If you watch each clip as a 'whole', not focussing on any particular area inside the clip, you will see the entire image stutter. In the second one, on fast/er panning, you see what I call "shudder" (motion blur) of the various elements in the image i.e. tree trunk, but the overall image as a whole does not "stutter". If that makes sense :). Shudder is normal, Stutter is not. I have 28 days...maybe DJI will announce the MavicPro2 updated drone release by then?

Joanna

Do the same tests indoors

The same issue will occur so it's Not temp related

Joanna

Do the same tests indoors

The same issue will occur so it's Not temp related
LOL...I haven't worked up the nerve to try indoors yet....not much space, too much 'stuff' in my 'space'. I agree, it's not a temp issue but just to eliminate that as remote possibility. I guess if I do try I should turn off all sensors and RTH? and use Tripod Mode?

Here is mine of 'stuttering" video.
Look a bit better directly off the SD card, but you get the idea.
So doesn't this just prove that it's worth sending back? Johanna's second lot of footage is much smoother. I've found this thread because I notice this issue on my mavic even when pulling or pushing out from a shot when there are objects near the edge of the frame (like trees and bushes getting revealed when pulling back).

I have ND filters. Looking forward to seeing razers results when he gets his. I also have a friend to got their unit last week so I'll try and catch up with them.

Reactions: razors
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga