DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

This is the same constant, non-stop, fast or slow pan, "stutter" effect as my Mavic1 snow/shed clip. My advice is to send it back. This is not a settings issue, it is a camera/gimbal/sensor issue. OTOH if you (and others) are happy with it, carry on and enjoy.

Ugh... well FML :( I got this thing specifically for a month long trip that starts next week so a RMA is just not possible at the moment. Is there anything I can do to prevent or lessen it? Or does this only happen when yawing? does it happen when strafing too?

That video is also not smooth. The buildings in this case don't move across the frame at a uniform speed. They appear in a certain position and then the next time they appear is a long distance from the first location giving it a jumpy look. It happens pretty fast but much slower than 24 or 30 times a second.

To bring the explanation to an extreme not using real numbers.

Time 0.0s: edge of building 'A' just appears on right side of screen
Time 0.5s: edge of building 'A' jumps two inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 1.0s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 1.5s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 2.0s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 2.5s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)
Time 3.0s: edge of building 'A' jumps two more inches to the left (not displayed between these two positions)

Hopefully this describes the issue.

In a perfect world the image would only move a pixel or two in each frame which would look super smooth like your eyes see real objects.

thanks it makes sense, would a higher shutter speed possibly lessen it? or higher fps?

Ugh... well FML :( I got this thing specifically for a month long trip that starts next week so a RMA is just not possible at the moment. Is there anything I can do to prevent or lessen it? Or does this only happen when yawing? does it happen when strafing too?
My personal experience...tried everything advised and imagined to no avail, hence returned and replaced. The only time I got no stutter is when the AC was sitting still! I got mine thru Amazon-DJI -30 day return policy. Had replacement in hand in 3 days. Have 30 days to check this one out but it's looking good so far. No experience with DJI directly.

Yes, recorded the settings. The one posted here was at the most often recommended settings as noted. All the settings I tried were the same, stuttering. Out in the field at greater distance same result, so being closer to objects did not make a difference. Even did same tests with my P3P with smooth results. And my iPad, and I-phone..even those were good for smoothness. As soon as my Mavic 2 arrived I tested (same temperature range of +6 +7 C) and settings (2nd clip). Did other settings also with consistent results. In fact, even factory default on Auto was same result. Have not tried with no filter yet...just too bright with our snow.
I also noticed, when comparing the two devices, that when the gimbal lock was in place there was a noticeable gap in the positioning (Mavic1) and wondered if it indicated some sort of alignment/position error? Will try to get pics up for that.
View attachment 6954 View attachment 6955

I just looked at my gimbal lock. I can install it in either of the two positions you have shown in your pictures. Obviously the method in the second photo holds it more securely.

I guess strafing (poi) from a fair distance may lessen the noticiability of it..(there's variables) if your is exhibiting it...a lot of youtube vids of mavic/drone scenery/landscapes are mainly forward or reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I just looked at my gimbal lock. I can install it in either of the two positions you have shown in your pictures. Obviously the method in the second photo holds it more securely.
Interesting. Someone else had said that, yet try as I might, I can't change the locking position. So, are you having any of the stuttering issues?

Definitely do the second method, the first method if you shake the Mavic a couple times the gimbal becomes lose, happened to me when I first got it

Interesting. Someone else had said that, yet try as I might, I can't change the locking position.

Not necessarily changing the lock position, you gotta make sure the little lip of the gimbal gets tucked to the clip edge thing. it's like a mm from the back

FWIW...the gimbal lock was placed correctly on the unit I got upon opening. No space between back of slot on gimbal lock and the lower aft arm on the gimbal. The slots in the rear of gimbal lock accept the back gimbal circular cover.

My personal experience...tried everything advised and imagined to no avail, hence returned and replaced. The only time I got no stutter is when the AC was sitting still! I got mine thru Amazon-DJI -30 day return policy. Had replacement in hand in 3 days. Have 30 days to check this one out but it's looking good so far. No experience with DJI directly.

Yeah I got mines from newegg which is basically directly from DJI almost a month ago. should I start the RMA now and just tell them I'll ship it when I get back? what info did they require for the RMA?

I guess strafing (poi) from a fair distance may lessen the noticiability of it..(there's variables) if your is exhibiting it...a lot of youtube vids of mavic/drone scenery/landscapes are mainly forward or reverse.

guess I'll keep distance in mind, just gotta make the best out of a **** situation now. Does the stutter effect happen if the gimbal is straight down while yawing the mavic?

thanks it makes sense, would a higher shutter speed possibly lessen it? or higher fps?

IDK. I keep hearing that slowing the shutter down to twice the frame rate and using neutral density filters for exposure adjustment will solve the problem. This thread has me guessing which is why I asked Johanna if he/she has tried shooting without filters.

Yes, recorded the settings. The one posted here was at the most often recommended settings as noted. All the settings I tried were the same, stuttering. Out in the field at greater distance same result, so being closer to objects did not make a difference. Even did same tests with my P3P with smooth results. And my iPad, and I-phone..even those were good for smoothness. As soon as my Mavic 2 arrived I tested (same temperature range of +6 +7 C) and settings (2nd clip). Did other settings also with consistent results. In fact, even factory default on Auto was same result. Have not tried with no filter yet...just too bright with our snow.
I also noticed, when comparing the two devices, that when the gimbal lock was in place there was a noticeable gap in the positioning (Mavic1) and wondered if it indicated some sort of alignment/position error? Will try to get pics up for that.
View attachment 6954 View attachment 6955

That gimbal lock was not installed correctly in Gimbal 1 pic...I've seen a lot of users on other forums had it installed like that upon opening.
Pic 2 looks correct.

IDK. I keep hearing that slowing the shutter down to twice the frame rate and using neutral density filters for exposure adjustment will solve the problem. This thread has me guessing which is why I asked Johanna if he/she has tried shooting without filters.

This is exactly 2x 24FPS (1/50) with ND32, is it still noticeable?

****...I'm at 33 days.

Yeah I got mines from newegg which is basically directly from DJI almost a month ago. should I start the RMA now and just tell them I'll ship it when I get back? what info did they require for the RMA?
Only know what Amazon requires. They issue a return label (no questions asked), and immediately ordered the replacement for shipping(guess they had some) at no cost. I have 30 days to get the old one back to them via UPS. If they don't get it by then, they bill for the new one. It is Amazon policy. Sold by DJI, shipped by Amazon.

Interesting. Someone else had said that, yet try as I might, I can't change the locking position. So, are you having any of the stuttering issues?

Yes I am but thought it would be solved with filters. I did do a test where I filmed as the sun was going down and set my shutter to twice the frame rate and the video was much much smoother.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_