DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

@JakeMaxxUAV

First time I've been able to get a flight in my area with zero wind.
Completely stock Mavic. Began at 200 ft and worked my way up to 500ft to maintain good radio contact.
At max distance I was still showing 2 bars of RC signal strength.
This was near sunset, straight out and back. Used sport mode for about 1/2 of the way back.
Otherwise on the way out, just max standard speed with OA disabled.
Turned around at the RTH prompt, but landed with 20% battery remaining.

16796.5 ft.

2w2mr9s.png

@JakeMaxxUAV

First time I've been able to get a flight in my area with zero wind.
Completely stock Mavic. Began at 200 ft and worked my way up to 500ft to maintain good radio contact.
At max distance I was still showing 2 bars of RC signal strength.
This was near sunset, straight out and back. Used sport mode for about 1/2 of the way back.
Otherwise on the way out, just max standard speed with OA disabled.
Turned around at the RTH prompt, but landed with 20% battery remaining.

16796.5 ft.

2w2mr9s.png
Nice flight, My RTH would come up around 19,000. But I was staying a lot lower. Good flight.

Nice flight, My RTH would come up around 19,000. But I was staying a lot lower. Good flight.

Thank you. I'd like to experiment with the drone in sport mode also. I recently came across some research a gentleman had done and posted here to help his son's science project that showed there to be no appreciable difference in battery usage over 20+ MPH.

The extra speed would sure beat staring at the screen for 12 minutes one way.

Thank you. I'd like to experiment with the drone in sport mode also. I recently came across some research a gentleman had done and posted here to help his son's science project that showed there to be no appreciable difference in battery usage over 20+ MPH.

Really can you share the link where you got that.
Thank you.

Unfortunately that test result is not entirely accurate. I've tested this myself numerous times and the only time sport mode is efficient is with a tail wind. No wind or head wind, it is far less efficient. I use sport mode on my return leg if the tail wind is 4mph or greater and keep tachometer/power meter below 70% using pitch. More than 70% power you lose energy to heat in the motors.

That is truly amazing.. 7.61 miles out. How did your signal levels hold up? The data from Airdata shows it was quite respectable. How about the video?

Reactions: digdat0
Ran my 2x3.0 multistar 3s lihv batteries today, made it 40,226 ft feet before turning back. Stock RC, no mods.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

XpMvKYb.jpg

Etvvzlc.png

mSlq8S2.png
waE3r21.png

Wow! Way to go! You just had to do it before me didn't you ;-)! I flew today but with 10mph headwind I couldn't get out far enough with heavy weight of my dual 4000mah batteries. Nice flight! That's amazing range for stock radio, or really any configuration.

Now I have to go for 40,227 feet to break your record ;-).

Wow! Way to go! You just had to do it before me didn't you ;-)! I flew today but with 10mph headwind I couldn't get out far enough with heavy weight of my dual 4000mah batteries. Nice flight! That's amazing range for stock radio, or really any configuration.

Now I have to go for 40,227 feet to break your record ;-).
thanks man! I think this combo is a winner, I dont wanna break the Mavic but i wonder if 50k is doable. I bet you will get out there before too long man, just a matter of wind im sure!

That is truly amazing.. 7.61 miles out. How did your signal levels hold up? The data from Airdata shows it was quite respectable. How about the video?
I agree! I'm impressed with this bird. Radio and video were really good, at 40k i think i was 3 bars on RC and 2 bars on HD, but video signal was clear and real-time and not dropping quality at all. I dont think i got past 30k on my phantom with stock antennas!

Oooooo Dig, your wife's gonna be mad at you if she finds out you took that new Mavic 40,000[emoji41]
lol .. i was busted when the lipos showed up, i gotta get her into flying

Reactions: Natedoggz
thanks man! I think this combo is a winner, I dont wanna break the Mavic but i wonder if 50k is doable. I bet you will get out there before too long man, just a matter of wind im sure!

50K feet will not be possible in my location, but where you are it might be. Here in silicon valley it's too windy and too much interference. You will need even more battery for 50K feet. That 20% battery would get you there if it weren't for DJI's throttling down during autolanding. When you get down to somewhere around 11 - 16% battery, autolanding kicks in which slows your speed to 28mph while trying to force descending. It's difficult to be efficient while fighting the descent with the elevator and the speed is not ideal, especially if you're leveraging a small tail wind. You'll need to move up to dual 4000mah LiHV's most likely, which will work for you if you can find a day with almost no wind.

Edit: You'll need to modify your antenna as well. I don't think you'll get that 50K with stock, but you never know. I'd be surprised.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf