DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Put Your Mavic to Work

I would recommend getting a 107. But some people have more challenges taking test, and others have other reasons. So that begs the question: If I took drone pictures/videos for someone (business or individual) pro bono, and accepts only tips, would that be considered commercializing according to the FAA?

I would recommend getting a 107. But some people have more challenges taking test, and others have other reasons. So that begs the question: If I took drone pictures/videos for someone (business or individual) pro bono, and accepts only tips, would that be considered commercializing according to the FAA?
I think anything received for y o ur efforts (tips, eggs, etc) would be considered payment... thus a commercial flight...just my thoughts...107 cert test is really nothing at all...Easy Peasy

Found a new use of my Mavic today....surveilling my wife walking around the neighborhood with our child. Flew out about a quarter mile out and kept buzzing above and to the side of them, at one point I got very low, like 12 feet off the ground, but lost signal so had to get back up. She didn't know it was me and told me later she found a rock to throw at it, because the Mavic got very close to them, and she didn't know it was me, but I was lucky to fly back at that point. I was just trying to get a waive from her, but she didn't know it was me and felt intimidated. No worries, was always to the side of them, not right above and had them in plain view, no other people around. Drones do intimidate people when we get too close to them, something to keep in mind. I know, I know, I deserve a thumbs down.

Found a new use of my Mavic today....surveilling my wife walking around the neighborhood with our child. Flew out about a quarter mile out and kept buzzing above and to the side of them, at one point I got very low, like 12 feet off the ground, but lost signal so had to get back up. She didn't know it was me and told me later she found a rock to throw at it, because the Mavic got very close to them, and she didn't know it was me, but I was lucky to fly back at that point. I was just trying to get a waive from her, but she didn't know it was me and felt intimidated. No worries, was always to the side of them, not right above and had them in plain view, no other people around. Drones do intimidate people when we get too close to them, something to keep in mind. I know, I know, I deserve a thumbs down.
Not a good way to win support for a new drone in the future.

Feminist or not. Happy wife happy life no matter how you look at it unless you are not married of course. I spend what I want but nicer to have support. I am glad it's reciprical in my case.

A man doesn't need support (or permission) to acquire belongings. Maybe some men in today's feminist liberal world do, but not in my world. :) That's a whole another topic though.
I was kinda joking. Anyway, I agree agree with you on way too feminist and liberal! :)

I can only say that I liked everything about it.

Many thanks W2EJ, Always nice to know when others enjoy your work!

For me, great footage is the thing and getting new and different pictures is often challenging, but it is always thrilling!

Bad phrasing, sorry. I meant I don't charge for the aerials and I don't do any outside commercial work, I only fly my own construction sites. When I think of "commercial" work I think of fees and doing jobs for other people. Probably should have been more specific.

This is the issue with just about everything some bloated government regulatory group controls and uses as leverage to bolster their focus and control.
Who the heck has the ability to regulate or evaluate the actual definition of the term non-recreational ?

There's a lot of confusion about this but the FAA is quite clear. Literally anything you do with a drone as part of your job or on the side and you receive money/tickets/beer/ANYTHING as a result is subject to part 107 rules and regulation. I've heard the enforcement thus far has been very lax but you probably don't want to be the guy they make an example out of

Reactions: Classic flyer
There's a lot of confusion about this but the FAA is quite clear. Literally anything you do with a drone as part of your job or on the side and you receive money/tickets/beer/ANYTHING as a result is subject to part 107 rules and regulation. I've heard the enforcement thus far has been very lax but you probably don't want to be the guy they make an example out of
Well said sir

I thought I would be able to use my drones for close range aerial shooting, real estate, video commercials, footage sales, etc. (! am a 107 certified RPI). But, alas without the very costly liability insurance, no one has yet been willing to give me a gig. (plus I'm a geezer which I suspect may have been a factor on occasion.)

I don't blame them, mind you. I'd want to be covered too, I just have not been willing to justify the up to $2000/year for insurance I don't really believe I would likely ever need. So given the fact that it would be difficult to recoup that kind of money with my drone, I've been quite discouraged.

I've been building and flying camera drones for fun for 5 yrs now and have always been able to manage my flying safely. That's not to say I cannot make a mistake, but the possibility that an experience pilot is likely to cause hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages with a tiny MP seems unrealistic to me. My car can cause that kind of damage and more, yet it's liability insurance is cheap ???

What do you guys pay for liability insurance and if it's not expensive, where did you buy it?
I fly for scientific research with a university and have FAA part 107 license, FAA registration, and $1,000,000 liability insurance policy. The policy was only $600 with Lloyd's of London Underwriters. Luckily for me, my research expenses are covered by research committee, but I still spend their money as if it were my own.

Reactions: BLZE02
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d