DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling on an Airplane with your Mavic Pro

Just heard this

Someone here should start a list of countries pulling this crap so we don't waste time and money and or maybe loose drone

Dear fellow pilots,

I know that there were a lot of discussion regarding Mavic Pro Batteris during Airplane flights and travelling, so I won't duplicate the info regarding safe bags, removing them from the drone, packing them well, etc.

I was concerned about battery levels during travelling, especially on the airplane and asked DJI support, decided to post their answer here.

"you don't need to discharge your battery as long as it was off when you were in plane" DJI NL technical support

Hope this helps,
Safe flying!

Reactions: Rbruz and Atredz
Given the extreme portability and compact structure of the Mavic, many more people are going to be traveling with their drone and therefore we thought it would be good to share some tips and information about traveling on an airplane with your Mavic. No more big case to have to lug around. Hallelujah! :D

Can you bring the Mavic Pro on an airplane?
Yes, most definitely!

How would you recommend I travel on an airplane with my Mavic?
First off, pack it in a safe bag where it's not going to tossed around too much. If you are looking for a nice bag that has been specifically designed for the Mavic, check out the DJI Mavic Shoulder Bag on our website here.

I know I can bring the Mavic on the airplane but what about the batteries?
Batteries can be brought on the airplane as well. The FAA and individual airlines are beginning to regulate lithium batteries on passenger airplanes more and more so the rules are changing pretty quickly.

Few tips/things to remember when flying with Mavic batteries:
  • You may take DJI Mavic Batteries on an airplane.
  • In the United States, the TSA allows lithium ion batteries that are under 100 watt hours to be brought aboard an airplane.
  • Any spare batteries (not installed in the Mavic) must be carried on the airplane and not put in your carry-on. The only time a lithium ion battery can be put in your checked luggage is if it is installed in the drone.
  • You may carry-on as many Mavic batteries as you desire. It is highly recommended to protect the batteries from a short circuit. This can be done by taping over the connection terminals to ensure no metal objects could cause a short circuit.
  • When proceeding through TSA it is advised to remove all batteries from your bag and place them in their own bin to be sent through the x-ray.
  • If you plan on traveling often with your Mavic Pro Drone we may advise that you print off a copy of the TSA regulations in case you run into any trouble. Battery regulations can be found on the TSA website here.
Battery regulations are always changing so be sure to check back with the FAA every few months. If you have any specific tips and/or further recommendations for traveling with your Mavic please be sure to share them below.

Safe travels and happy flying wherever your travels bring you!

- The Advexure Team
I just flew United from PHL to Denver. No issues regarding the MP, However their literature says no lithium "balancing" batteries. United never looked in my back pack "personal item", same for the return flight.I taped the leads of the two batteries kept in the fly-more bag plus one battery in the MP.

Hi guys, does somebody have experience from Muscat airport while traveling with drone? I am not worried about the batteries as I made them safe in plastic to make airlines happy but I am worried about security check-in with my drone in hand luggage. I have there just stopover on my way from Paris to Manila and I stay at the airport and of course not using it.

Reactions: PsiFox
Just got back form canada and south africa an they didnt even look twice at my bag.

Reactions: Rbruz
Anybody have any comment / experience on Caribbean islands, especially Air France and Air Antilles?

I will be traveling Air France form Paris to Martinique (transfer only), then Air Antilles to Guadeloupe where I will be working.

My research in Air France looks like they dont mind. Mavic batteries fit inside allowable limits for Lithium batteries. Air Antilles has nothing published that I could find.

For info purposes just travels into moscow (russia) an out of russia into riga(latvia) with the mavic pro. They didnt even took a look at the mavic. I walked right true security whitout having to open my back or show anything.

Due to winds an snow I didnt fly much. but flying in center moscow is almost imposible due to gps jamming. Tried taking of 4 block away from the kremlin but gps was bouncing all over the place making flying nearly impossible.

Dear fellow pilots,

I just subscribed to this forum as I also became a DJI pilot since december 2017.
This drone is really awesome and I will use it a lot in the future while traveling. As a frequent traveler I'm sure my DJI Mavic will be my buddy to make awesome movies and pictures all over the world …
Within a month I will do my first trip for this year to Lanzarote, the Canary Islands.
I was reading a lot about traveling with a drone and the regulations about taking it with some air companies and taking it to some countries.
So as a way of safety I've sent a mail for the confirmation to the help desk of Volotea to take my drone with me in my cabin baggage….
I was blown away …. Drones and lipo's are not authorized for Volotea ….. no exceptions ….
Ridiculous …. Even if I told them I use covers for each individual battery and I have a fire proof bag …

So members of this forum: Be warned !!! Volotea is at the black list for drone-travellers ….
My planned trip with Volotea will be my first and LAST trip with Volotea ….

Greets,
Filip

Reactions: bucefalo
Dear fellow pilots,

I just subscribed to this forum as I also became a DJI pilot since december 2017.
This drone is really awesome and I will use it a lot in the future while traveling. As a frequent traveler I'm sure my DJI Mavic will be my buddy to make awesome movies and pictures all over the world …
Within a month I will do my first trip for this year to Lanzarote, the Canary Islands.
I was reading a lot about traveling with a drone and the regulations about taking it with some air companies and taking it to some countries.
So as a way of safety I've sent a mail for the confirmation to the help desk of Volotea to take my drone with me in my cabin baggage….
I was blown away …. Drones and lipo's are not authorized for Volotea ….. no exceptions ….
Ridiculous …. Even if I told them I use covers for each individual battery and I have a fire proof bag …

So members of this forum: Be warned !!! Volotea is at the black list for drone-travellers ….

Greets,
Filip
Hi filip
What an unbelievable policy they have.
I've looked at there hand luggage policy (no mention of drones)
But they don't allow batteries, this must be why they said no.
Despite mavic batteries being within all criteria for safety carrying in hand luggage as per TAS Regs
Any airline can refuse to carry anything they choose. But we can choose any airline. Sorry you have missed this opertunity, it's a shame.

Reactions: Vladimirni
VOLOTEA - Conditions of Carriage
But it does say that spare batteries are allowed as hand -carry. This is rather confusing.

Hi filip
What an unbelievable policy they have.
I've looked at there hand luggage policy (no mention of drones)
But they don't allow batteries, this must be why they said no.
Despite mavic batteries being within all criteria for safety carrying in hand luggage as per TAS Regs
Any airline can refuse to carry anything they choose. But we can choose any airline. Sorry you have missed this opertunity, it's a shame.

Dear fellow pilots,

Greets,
Filip
It say batteries are allowed in your link under this category.
As long as the battery is rated as mentioned below.
Lithium batteries: Portable electronic devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, including medical devices such as portable oxygen concentrators (POC) and consumers electronics such as cameras, mobile phones, laptops and tablets, when carried by passengers or crew for personal use. For lithium metal batteries the lithium metal content must not exceed 2 g and for lithium ion batteries the Watt-hour rating must not exceed 100 Wh

Exactly my point but why did the Volotea staff replied Filip saying drones and lipos are not allowed...

It say batteries are allowed in your link under this category.
As long as the battery is rated as mentioned below.
Lithium batteries: Portable electronic devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, including medical devices such as portable oxygen concentrators (POC) and consumers electronics such as cameras, mobile phones, laptops and tablets, when carried by passengers or crew for personal use. For lithium metal batteries the lithium metal content must not exceed 2 g and for lithium ion batteries the Watt-hour rating must not exceed 100 Wh

Exactly my point but why did the Volotea staff replied Filip saying drones and lipos are not allowed...
They just don't know their own ts&cs but more importantly they are not drone experts.
I never ask if drones are allowed on a plane as it is an irrelevant question really. You're not flying it so I call it a camera and camera batteries. You are allowed 1 battery on the mavic and up to 2 spares if you need them

Reactions: Minion mvp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78