DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Christmas ruin everything for us?

While I strongly disagree with nearly every word, I appreciate you taking the time to answer and sharing your opinion. Thank you.
Fair enough.
What suggestions or ideas do you have to help stem irresponsible droning? The community is always open to new ideas.

I agree with what some have said here. I don't think it's a good idea (for someone that it "pro drone") to be asking for tighter regulations like mandatory training and license. Be care what you ask for. You don't hear pro-gun people asking for tighter gun control. We (in the US) are already required to register with the FAA and there are steep penalties if you don't. There are going to be times that drone pilots are idiots. You just have to deal with the idiots... not everyone trying to enjoy the hobby responsibly. Giving more money to the government to regulate us is not the answer. You will end up with a group of responsible people that take the class and spend the money and the another group of the same idiots that didn't pay a dime still flying drones irresponsibly. As long as there are drones for sale there will be risks, the only way around it is to get rid of them all together... be careful what you ask for.
What he said... regulation would more than likely only hurt the people who weren't going to cause a problem anyway. Even if you had to show your license to buy a drone...look at how many illegal guns are out there exchanging hands everyday...

Fair enough.
What suggestions or ideas do you have to help stem irresponsible droning? The community is always open to new ideas.

In the U.S., the current regulations for hobbyists are more than sufficient for the risks involved with flying a drone, especially small drones. If you look at how few serious drone accidents are reported, despite the fact that there are many many thousands of drones being flown by people, it doesn't appear that there is a problem that needs further regulation. I think what we can do to make the hobby safer is to encourage people to practice flying, a lot, in an open area away from people before flying anywhere else and to always think about potential problems or hazards before they take off or fly into new areas, and to also know what the current rules and guidelines are.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

We revisit this hysteria every holiday season, hasn't come to fruition yet, and the average joe can't be bothered with flying one.

I think you're right. I was at a party a week ago and was asked to recommend a drone for a beginner. When asked what was it planned to be used for, I received the same stupid answer that most people give... "I want to fly up and look at my roof". When I told the person they'd be looking at $500 for an "OK" camera drone, he freaked at the price. Apparently most new people consider the $50 to $150 range and expect to get the video and flight quality they see on YouTube from the more expensive drones.

My advice to most people about quality drones is... If you don't currently take the photos/videos off your cell phone or out of your point and shoot camera & edit them into anything of interest, then don't bother with a quality camera drone. If you just wish to "fly around", then look at the RC hobby world.

In the U.S., the current regulations for hobbyists are more than sufficient for the risks involved with flying a drone, especially small drones. If you look at how few serious drone accidents are reported, despite the fact that there are many many thousands of drones being flown by people, it doesn't appear that there is a problem that needs further regulation. I think what we can do to make the hobby safer is to encourage people to practice flying, a lot, in an open area away from people before flying anywhere else and to always think about potential problems or hazards before they take off or fly into new areas, and to also know what the current rules and guidelines are.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
But how do you reach the people with that message? Most drone owners never visit a forum.

Reactions: Chase R
But how do you reach the people with that message? Most drone owners never visit a forum.
I'm not sure that's true. I know I combed the forums and watched countless YouTube videos before I purchased even my first tiny toy drone. I did this even more before getting my Phantom, then I joined the AMA. Now that people know I fly a drone, they ask me about flying and want to know what the rules are and how difficult it is to learn before they consider purchasing one. I'm glad to share and even take people out to show them how to fly. Sure there are going to be people who just get one and try to fly it without doing any research, but most of the time that will end in a destroyed drone and hopefully that person will be more careful and educated if he or she chooses to get another drone. Again, the actual number of serious accidents caused appears very low compared to many other activities that are less regulated or totally unregulated. A bicycle or skateboard is much more dangerous than a small drone. We don't want to ignore the potential safety issues, but we don't want to react to everything in life that has potential safety issues with more governmental regulations because soon every facet of life would be regulated and make life a pain in the butt, rather than enjoyable.

I'm reading all the posts here and I think it's obvious that the legislation now and in the future will be so restrictive that your quad will end as a memory. So many legislators took a knee jerk reaction to the possibility that one would take down an aircraft. The chances are greater with the common laser. All the information emanated from an uniformed press. The press started referring to quads as "drones" as if they were sent by Darth Vader from the dark side. So now you have to worry about law suits, people saying you launched you "drone" to see his wife through the window pinching a loaf. I'm an AMA member and I can tell you those guys hate you. For years they have been flying fixed wing aircraft with relatively no problems. They are much more difficult to fly so people think twice about continuing after thier first crash. I'm afraid if we don't challenge the Nanny State in mass you will never get the Genie back in the bottle. Use your quad respective to the public and every time you have the opportunity engage them to explain what a great hobby it is. Explain how the industry has placed fail safes on the units to protect the observer. Pray that a legislator or two are interested in flight and understands the advancement in the technology of RC. Well that's my 2 cent hope you got your Mavic for Christmas and enjoy many hours of flight. I sure didn't, Boohoo for me.

Reactions: RIDETOEAT
And cars kill 1.3 MILLION a year and they are also barely end user regulated, so your point?
I am talking about the United States, where cars account for about 30,000 deaths annually (and actually do have quite a few regulations), yet they are legal and people don't fear them.

That is my point. Mavics don't kill, so we should have very little to worry about.

I'm not sure that's true. I know I combed the forums and watched countless YouTube videos before I purchased even my first tiny toy drone. I did this even more before getting my Phantom, then I joined the AMA. Now that people know I fly a drone, they ask me about flying and want to know what the rules are and how difficult it is to learn before they consider purchasing one. I'm glad to share and even take people out to show them how to fly. Sure there are going to be people who just get one and try to fly it without doing any research, but most of the time that will end in a destroyed drone and hopefully that person will be more careful and educated if he or she chooses to get another drone. Again, the actual number of serious accidents caused appears very low compared to many other activities that are less regulated or totally unregulated. A bicycle or skateboard is much more dangerous than a small drone. We don't want to ignore the potential safety issues, but we don't want to react to everything in life that has potential safety issues with more governmental regulations because soon every facet of life would be regulated and make life a pain in the butt, rather than enjoyable.

So you think that the majority of drone owners visit the forums? And that everyone that buys a drone and doesn't visit the forums crashes their drone? Do you have a source for this statement?

I think most people are not getting the point. It won't be the Mavics in the air that ruin it for us, it will be the cheap inexpensive drones that will make the news and create more regulations. The media and majority of the population won't care if it's a cheapo $30 drone that can barely stay stable in the air, or a $1000 Mavic with obstacle avoidance and safety features. If the $30 drone hits someone, causes an accident, or makes a negative impact in the media, it will hurt us.

Ironic, we pay bouquet dollars, wait 3 to 4 months to get something only to find a group of bureaucrats have written a regulation that's so strict you can own it but not use it.

I think most people are not getting the point. It won't be the Mavics in the air that ruin it for us, it will be the cheap inexpensive drones that will make the news and create more regulations. The media and majority of the population won't care if it's a cheapo $30 drone that can barely stay stable in the air, or a $1000 Mavic with obstacle avoidance and safety features. If the $30 drone hits someone, causes an accident, or makes a negative impact in the media, it will hurt us.
You have a point but I'm reading here where a number of first time buyers are flying them (trying) in their homes. How do you think that will ultimately end?

30% of the drones received on Christmas Day will be broken by the next day due to flying them indoors and crashing into walls.
Another 30% will be out of commission as they will become over confident after being successful at flying them indoors then going outside and crashing them into tree's, bushes and other nearby hazards.
10% will be gone due to flyaways.
Another 10% will lose interest and play with something else.
5% will be out our skies as batteries die or won't charge and probably won't be replaced as replacements cost more than the cheap drone.
Another 5% will be MIA due to some type of conflict within their neighborhood and grounded by upset parents.
2% will be destroyed by family pets.
Out of the remaining 8%
1% will become responsible flyers dealing with problems caused by the final 7%.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

You have a point but I'm reading here where a number of first time buyers are flying them (trying) in their homes. How do you think that will ultimately end?
I think it will just end with some chipped paint on the walls and some broken propellers for the most part.

30% of the drones received on Christmas Day will be broken by the next day due to flying them indoors and crashing into walls.
Another 30% will be out of commission as they will become over confident after being successful at flying them indoors then going outside and crashing them into tree's, bushes and other nearby hazards.
10% will be gone due to flyaways.
Another 10% will lose interest and play with something else.
5% will be out our skies as batteries die or won't charge and probably won't be replaced as replacements cost more than the cheap drone.
Another 5% will be MIA due to some type of conflict within their neighborhood and grounded by upset parents.
2% will be destroyed by family pets.
Out of the remaining 8%
1% will become responsible flyers dealing with problems caused by the final 7%.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
LMAO. Great breakdown a great deal of truth too. The big one you missed are the personal injuries which will be magnified by the press as: "Drone attacks child while horrified mother watches".

My advice to most people about quality drones is... If you don't currently take the photos/videos off your cell phone or out of your point and shoot camera & edit them into anything of interest, then don't bother with a quality camera drone. If you just wish to "fly around", then look at the RC hobby world.
^^^ I couldn't agree less. About 6 years ago I wanted to get into the RC hobby just to fly around within LOS and didn't care about a camera at all. I was ready to plunk down over $2,000 for a helicopter, a quality RC, and batteries, etc. Then I started doing RC simulators on my PC and watching youtube videos of guys crashing (read: destroying) their expensive helis within the first 30 seconds of their first flight. If you want fly something that hovers in the "RC hobby world" you are required to have a vast amount of time to train, skill, and money. RC helicopters just don't hover and hold their position the way these GPS guided quadcopters do. I abandoned my idea of getting a RC helicopter. Fast forward 6 years and I now own a Mavic. It is everything I hoped for 6 years ago and waaay more (and less cost)! Even when it comes to quadcopters you still get what you pay for. I purchased my dad (quite elderly) an UpAir One quadcopter for Christmas for $320 new (this is a knock off Phantom, BTW). I decided to take it on a test flight before giving it to him. It was a mess.... drifted all over the place... an accident waiting to happen. Definitely more dangerous than a "quality camera drone". I decided to return it and get him a Phantom 3 Standard. Much easier to fly, much more reliable, and at least has some safety features built in.

^^^ I couldn't agree less. About 6 years ago I wanted to get into the RC hobby just to fly around within LOS and didn't care about a camera at all. I was ready to plunk down over $2,000 for a helicopter, a quality RC, and batteries, etc. Then I started doing RC simulators on my PC and watching youtube videos of guys crashing (read: destroying) their expensive helis within the first 30 seconds of their first flight. If you want fly something that hovers in the "RC hobby world" you are required to have a vast amount of time to train, skill, and money. RC helicopters just don't hover and hold their position the way these GPS guided quadcopters do. I abandoned my idea of getting a RC helicopter. Fast forward 6 years and I now own a Mavic. It is everything I hoped for 6 years ago and waaay more (and less cost)! Even when it comes to quadcopters you still get what you pay for. I purchased my dad (quite elderly) an UpAir One quadcopter for Christmas for $320 new (this is a knock off Phantom, BTW). I decided to take it on a test flight before giving it to him. It was a mess.... drifted all over the place... an accident waiting to happen. Definitely more dangerous than a "quality camera drone". I decided to return it and get him a Phantom 3 Standard. Much easier to fly, much more reliable, and at least has some safety features built in.
Your the responsible guy who is subject to the not so responsible guy. I think KC's breakdown is pretty accurate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02