DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Christmas ruin everything for us?

Like any Xmas fad toy it will be left on a shelf gathering dust in 6 months.

The number of continued operators will be the same, with the same demographics spread:

1. Heavily engaged - RC Hobbyists or advanced videographers/photographers.
2. Hyper-engaged - RC Hobbyists who are also advanced videographers/photogrpahers.
3. Super-Hyper-engaged - RC Hobbyists who are also advanced videographers/photogrpahers and travel a lot.

MK

Last edited:
Like any Xmas fad toy it will be left on a shelfe gathering dust in 6 months.

The number of continued operators will be the same, with the same demographics spread:

1. Heavily engaged - RC Hobbyists or advanced videographers/photographers.
2. Hyper-engaged - RC Hobbyists who are also advanced videographers/photogrpahers.
3. Super-Hyper-engaged - RC Hobbyists who are also advanced videographers/photogrpahers and travel a lot.

MK
Right on with that first sentence, may I add buyer remorse to go with that sentence?

You guys miss the point of being a legislator, they make laws and rules. It's in their DNA, its what they do, and they can't leave anything alone. If it doesn't have a set of laws or rules then they have to make them, that's how they keep their job, and feed at the public trough. If they see someone flying a drone in the park they ask, "What is the rule for that" when told there isn't one they have to run right out and draft one so they look like they are doing their job. I live in California, the 'Nanny' state, where most of the 'Snowflakes' are, I should move, but it's to much trouble at my age <sigh>

You guys miss the point of being a legislator, they make laws and rules. It's in their DNA, its what they do, and they can't leave anything alone. If it doesn't have a set of laws or rules then they have to make them, that's how they keep their job, and feed at the public trough. If they see someone flying a drone in the park they ask, "What is the rule for that" when told there isn't I live in California, the 'Nanny' state, where most of the 'Snowflakes' are, I should move, but it's to much trouble at my age <sigh>
I live in California, the 'Nanny' state, where most of the 'Snowflakes' are, I should move, but it's to much trouble at my age <sigh>

I hear what you're saying..... it took me many years but I was finally able to get out 15 years ago and I have never look back! California and it's political culture is truly a cancer on our society and freedoms.

I hear what you're saying..... it took me many years but I was finally able to get out 15 years ago and I have never look back! California and it's political culture is truly a cancer on our society and freedoms.
Hear!, Hear! I just can't believe some of the Cr*p they come up with!

You guys miss the point of being a legislator, they make laws and rules. It's in their DNA, its what they do, and they can't leave anything alone. If it doesn't have a set of laws or rules then they have to make them, that's how they keep their job, and feed at the public trough. If they see someone flying a drone in the park they ask, "What is the rule for that" when told there isn't one they have to run right out and draft one so they look like they are doing their job. I live in California, the 'Nanny' state, where most of the 'Snowflakes' are, I should move, but it's to much trouble at my age <sigh>
From what I've read you don't have to worry California wants to secede from the union.

From what I've read you don't have to worry California wants to secede from the union.
Yeah, the liberals don't like the rest of the country, the snowflakes just want to tell each other how wonderful they are and hug trees, Now if NorCal split off into the state of Jefferson I would be OK with that as I am in NorCal, not the same as SoCal at all, my entire county voted GOP.

Yeah, the liberals don't like the rest of the country, the snowflakes just want to tell each other how wonderful they are and hug trees, Now if NorCal split off into the state of Jefferson I would be OK with that as I am in NorCal, not the same as SoCal at all, my entire county voted GOP.
Snowflake! That's great I have to remember that how politically incorrect. Hey people seriously Merry Christmas to all of you and your families. I wish you all the best enjoyment with your MavicPro in the coming year.

30% of the drones received on Christmas Day will be broken by the next day due to flying them indoors and crashing into walls.
Another 30% will be out of commission as they will become over confident after being successful at flying them indoors then going outside and crashing them into tree's, bushes and other nearby hazards.
10% will be gone due to flyaways.
Another 10% will lose interest and play with something else.
5% will be out our skies as batteries die or won't charge and probably won't be replaced as replacements cost more than the cheap drone.
Another 5% will be MIA due to some type of conflict within their neighborhood and grounded by upset parents.
2% will be destroyed by family pets.
Out of the remaining 8%
1% will become responsible flyers dealing with problems caused by the final 7%.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

50% of all statistics are made up.

just read that the Mavic is one of the most sought after gifts for Christmas. My sister is ordering one for her son. He's a good kid and will learn how to fly responsibly. That said...

You can go into the Apple Store and pick one up. Brookstone at the airport is selling them. They are becoming an impulse buy. They are so easy to set up and fly that drone ownership will grow exponentially.

So, here we are. Anyone can own one. Anyone can fly one. The barrier to entry is gone. You know some dad will buy one for their 7 year old. It won't be long until these things will be regularly flying in the faces of pedestrians, dropping on top of cars, and flying through peoples windows. Noses is will be lopped off. Drone scars will become common. Privacy will be violated. These things have been happening in isolation for the past several years but I think we are about to experience an exponential explosion.

What will this mean for our beloved hobby? I think it might lead to the outlawing of flying cameras like our Mavic. I can imagine fewer and fewer places we will be able to fly. It's great that it will follow you down a ski slope, but all mountains will ban them. Technology will be installed to jam drones.

Personally, I'd like to see drone licenses with mandatory flight training.

Looking way ahead... In the future, we will have our own personal drone network. All the drones will talk to each other and we will all walk around with a drone over our heads documenting our day. You will look up and they will be buzzing around everywhere. They will be small and silent. They will all be hooked into a mesh network so they won't hit each other. This will happen just as I am starting to get a bald spot. Ah, progress.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

While the sky's are still ours, my fellow Mavic pilots, Happy Flying!

I quote your topic in part "So, here we are. Anyone can own one. Anyone can fly one. The barrier to entry is gone." that is rubbish, here in Australia there are a lot of guys that have pre ordered, myself included and we are still waiting for this DJI company to get their act together and give us what we have paid for, and we cannot walk into an Apple store because they do not sell them here in Aus, so you cannot say "So, here we are. Anyone can own one. Anyone can fly one. The barrier to entry is gone."

Your question is a good one. The initial topic outlining the problems for flyers is excellent. As a member of the AMA I can say they did thier best to preserve the existing FAA laws covering the RC hobbyists. AMA members for the most part are fixed wing flyers and have been building some very beautiful and intricate models for years. For most they fly at AMA approved fields, all line of sight. Those laws were very liberal considering there was no need to register as an RC pilot, that has changed.
I have a private pilot rating so I registered immediately to avoid issues down the road. Now comes the quad which unlike fixed wing craft can be launched and flown without being tethered to another TX of an experienced flyer. That's how many fixed wing flyers learn without destroying their craft. Many new quad pilots can launch from their backyards, empty lots, parks any and everyplace. So they are bit less regulated in that area.
I guess that's where the rub comes from. Then the press latched on and affixed the term "Drone" like they come from the dark side. The bureaucrats and do nothing politicians jumped in and bye bye quad. I think it was more of a hobby when you had to build one? I built my first Flame Wheel 550 and truth be told it got my attention the first time I powered it up. I admit I don't fly it much today because of the liability aspect and the new laws. I have a mess of fixed wing aircraft so when I cancelled my MavicPro order I didn't feel the pain. I upset some guy calling it an expensive toy he called it "tool" but if your not making money from flying it, we'll call it what you will. I don't have an answer for how to get things back to where they were. Being a downer I think it is going to get worse? If the politicians aren't in it they can care less. I'm not looking for a fight here just one persons observation!

Reactions: Wolfman Jonathan
The drones I worry about are the "Cheap" sub $100 ones you see everywhere in the isles of
Home Depot, Kmart, Rite Aide !
I was flyung at a local park recently and a 8-10 YO told his mom he wanted a drone and she replied Maybe Santa will bring you one !
Parents buying a cheap one for their 12YO because he wanted a Drone for Christmas!
I think those are the ones that are going to hurt people!
Agree that it's the cheap ones that do or will cause all the trouble, not the Mavic. Look at this Mavic "toy" clone on Bangood.
E50 WIFI FPV With Foldable Arm Altitude Hold RC Quadcopter RTF (1105949) US$41.99

This issue is similar to ones I've worked on in past years in another industry. In those situations, common sense information and activities had a positive impact on the public and legislators. But I fail to see a coordinated effort by the drone industry which is made up of manufactures, point of sales, customers and enthusiasts like us who participate in this forum.

If we don't tell our story, someone else will, and the past indicates it won't be the one we want told or that reflects the positive side of drones.

Why not:

--Include safety info with each drone packaging and a code of flying conduct each operator must sign and send in to the appropriate group heading this up. Each year hold a drawing for everyone who participates funded by the manufacturers for a "state-of-the art" drone package.

--Annually, hold a dinner in D.C. to recognize a drone operator from each state that have (used their drones) to save lives, thwart crime, had a positive impact on education, etc. with one person chosen as the "drone operator of the year."

--Encourage local RC/drone associations to work with local law enforcement agencies in search and rescue and other activities that create a positive bridge between these groups. Promote successful efforts. Coordinate, coordinate, coordinate.

--Create a "certified" drone outlet seal for those retail organizations that proactively explain safety guidelines with customers when they purchase.

--Volunteer with local school districts to work with teachers in the appropriate disciplines to create done clubs to build drones and encourage safe flying.

I could go on, but this should give you an idea of what can be done. And for the naysayers, please don't tell me it can't be done. It already has been done in other market segments with similar challenges.

That's my two cents, thanks.

With the Mavic being easily portable and more main stream I think we will see a new class of flyers that will create a new public awareness of drone accidents & invasion (100% agree with Airtex in his above post ^^)

There is a better chance of Disneyland becoming it's own state

Just move out in the country and fly it wherever you want. As far as city and suburban areas, I think it will the increased issues will cause more pain and laws for the responsible flyers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB