DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

‘We had nothing to do with it’: Skydio CEO on DJI drone ban bill

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions

This entire thing is screwy, believe them as much as i believe any politician at this point.

Regardless, I wont be buying Skydio anytime soon (if they even had decent hobby based drones now or in the future).

From the above page comes the following quote.
"The only thing that bums me out is to see a few folks within the communities of drone users we serve attack Skydio – especially public safety – for whom we have so much respect, and are so motivated to support.”

I am left wondering what "communities of drone users" he is referring to ?
I thought Skydio had withdrawn from the consumer drone market, if that is correct has their remaining customer base being making noises too?

"The only thing that bums me out is to see a few folks within the communities of drone users we serve attack Skydio – especially public safety – for whom we have so much respect, and are so motivated to support.”

I thought Skydio had withdrawn from the consumer drone market, if that is correct has their remaining customer base being making noises too?
I am Skydio "remaining customer base" and I oppose the ban and I believe Skydio has some part to play with it but I wouldn't go so far as collusion or nefarious intent; more likely opportunistic. Skydio is a good company and I plan to keep the Skydio 2 and I'm sorry to see them go/exit but they simply aren't "agile" enough to pull this off by themselves. For example, this would go nowhere if Americans were "in love" with Chinese electronics. The drone community is a non-cohesive fickle bunch so Skydio honestly shouldn't worry what we think.

Do we think Motorola could successfully engineer a campaign against Apple iPhones single-handedly?

This entire thing is screwy, believe them as much as i believe any politician at this point.

Regardless, I wont be buying Skydio anytime soon (if they even had decent hobby based drones now or in the future).
A classic Bart Simpson "...it wasn't me. I wasn't there..."?

The only thing a highly paid CEO of any commercial company is "...so motivated to support..." is his own company's profit margin and the bonuses paid to shareholders.

Reactions: hagman23 and Starz

Talk about the ultimate BS story,Skydio was a major player in this fabricated ban.Skydio will never go back to making consumer drones,because they know they can't make a DJI replacement line ,such as the mini,Air,and Mavic series of folding drones.So if Skydio wants to be a major player,time to prove it to all of us that fly drones for a hobby.

Reactions: hagman23 and Cafguy
I wish they had a prosumer drone as good as DJI. I sold my Skydio 2 plus because I was not happy with the image quality. In my opinion, the only thing going for it was it's obstacle avoidance system.

It is a shame they stopped the consumer drones. If they would have stuck with it I think they would have a serious Drone on the market now. Would be pretty pricy though.
SKYDIO wants to build Drones for the military does it? Well Sorry -You people should have been concentrating on Building and Developing them. Instead of trying to somehow gain business by changing the laws.
Here comes REDCAT. Say goodbye to your Dreams of a SKYDIO Air Force.;)

Last edited:
I find this interesting.
- One of Congresswoman Stephanik's (CCCPDA's author) former staff member works for Sydio.
- Mr. Bry was given the 'opportunity' to speak before the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party, who's focus was on China’s dominance in the drone sector. Was anyone from DJI given the same 'opportunity?' A tab bit lop-sided, isn't it?
- "Skydio has not advocated for nor lobbied in favor of restrictions on DJI drones." BUT...he sure isn't crying himself to sleep at night over it either.
- I saw his testimony before the committee the other day. He seemed a bit cocky to me. Maybe because if this goes through, Skydio will be able to gobble up market share, which means bigger $$ for them.

Reactions: hagman23
Yeah, something stinks. The relatively minuscule drone market is a "super-spy-national-security-risk" but all the other prolific tech products out of China are harmless? Google, Alexa and Siri know where we ALL are and what we ALL say 24/7 but no worries there? Oh-key-dokey. 🙄🫡

Hmm, I don't know why these songs suddenly sprang into my mind....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanny Ogg
This is more examples of lunatic politics using scare tactics to tell constituents how “patriotic” they are with no real evidence of what they are claiming all to gain the approval of one narcissistic individual so they can score points and stay “relevant” in the eyes of their feckless leader.

Reactions: Cafguy

They should be attacked,and yes Skydio did withdraw from the consumer drone market.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I am Skydio "remaining customer base" and I oppose the ban and I believe Skydio has some part to play with it but I wouldn't go so far as collusion or nefarious intent; more likely opportunistic. Skydio is a good company and I plan to keep the Skydio 2 and I'm sorry to see them go/exit but they simply aren't "agile" enough to pull this off by themselves. For example, this would go nowhere if Americans were "in love" with Chinese electronics. The drone community is a non-cohesive fickle bunch so Skydio honestly shouldn't worry what we think.

Do we think Motorola could successfully engineer a campaign against Apple iPhones single-handedly?
Joe Bartlett, who is currently the Director of Federal Policy at Skydio, previously worked as a National Security Advisor to Congresswoman Elise Stefanik who is the one proposing the drone ban.

LOL. Of course not .... because the Motorola cell phone brand is owned and operated by Lenovo, which in turn is essentially controlled by and in fact majority owned by China.

Joe Bartlett, who is currently the Director of Federal Policy at Skydio, previously worked as a National Security Advisor to Congresswoman Elise Stefanik who is the one proposing the drone ban.
And her latest idea add Autel to the list which now happened,time to start pushing back .These voted in people need to worry more about the real issues at hand.Border work and many others,that is as far as I will go since it is a drone forum.Focus the energy in other areas instead of fabricated
nonsense such as this DJI ban.

Reactions: Prop Wash
LOL. Of course not .... because the Motorola cell phone brand is owned and operated by Lenovo, which in turn is essentially controlled by and in fact majority owned by China.
Sure, but you know what I mean. Just trying to think about how would an America company usurp a powerful Chinese company in the non-drone world for a product that everybody wants and love....it cannot be done. Skydio is a decent company but they can't pull this off alone. DJI is loved by *us* but 95% of America don't even know who is DJI and won't miss them when they are gone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iborrego