DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

100% You will crash

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots;
But there are no old, bold pilots".

With regards to drones:

Old Pilot: Careful, meticulous, patient, learns/studies how to properly operate/maintain his craft, knows the limitations of his craft, knows his own limitations, studies the weather, understands the rules regulating drone flying, ALWAYS does a pre-flight check.

Bold Pilot: Careless; lazy, impatient, NEVER feels the need to read a manual, thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the craft he just picked up, doesn't think any sort of maintenance is ever needed, thinks because someone else did it, he can do it too, has no idea about weather (wind) patterns, doesn't know what a pre-flight check is. He is only interested in seeing how high, how far and how fast the craft can go, with no regard to rules and regulations whatsoever.

Now remember, this does not preclude the fact that mechanical, electrical, computer glitches do occur, but reading many of the incidents people have had with their drones, both here and on other forums, it is my belief that a lot of them have to do with 'Bold Pilot Syndrome'.

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
that probably just about sums it up, the hardest thing about being in the old camp like me, is remembering what it is that you are supposed to be doing, i suppose it becomes second nature eventually

When you're young you think "it can't happen to me". When you're old you're pretty sure "it" seriously has it out for you.

at 72 your just a kid LOL------- where is llanbradach ????????????????
its in South Wales UK not far from Cardiff which is the capital city

Taking off is optional. Landing is mandatory.
I have many crashes in my 20+ years in R/C Airplanes/Helicopters drones. Thank God I have about 3 years without a crash anything. But if you fly like Mr.Steele you will crash soon or later.

When you're young you think "it can't happen to me". When you're old you're pretty sure "it" seriously has it out for you.
the secret is to keep moving "fast" a moving target is hard to hit, that's my secret. as to those worried that they can't fly their quads, because of the NFZ patience, the time will come soon.

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots;
But there are no old, bold pilots".

With regards to drones:

Old Pilot: Careful, meticulous, patient, learns/studies how to properly operate/maintain his craft, knows the limitations of his craft, knows his own limitations, studies the weather, understands the rules regulating drone flying, ALWAYS does a pre-flight check.

Bold Pilot: Careless; lazy, impatient, NEVER feels the need to read a manual, thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the craft he just picked up, doesn't think any sort of maintenance is ever needed, thinks because someone else did it, he can do it too, has no idea about weather (wind) patterns, doesn't know what a pre-flight check is. He is only interested in seeing how high, how far and how fast the craft can go, with no regard to rules and regulations whatsoever.

Now remember, this does not preclude the fact that mechanical, electrical, computer glitches do occur, but reading many of the incidents people have had with their drones, both here and on other forums, it is my belief that a lot of them have to do with 'Bold Pilot Syndrome'.

Just my 2 cents!

Agreed.

Reactions: old man mavic
only if you fly careless and out of VLOS
The only (3) crashes I had were within VLOS. The real key is doing some pre flight observations of an area to verify things like wires and light poles etc. VLOS is just a talking point not reality

When I first started RC flying, more than a few years ago, my mentor and trainer told me that it is better not to fall in love with any of my aircraft because they all have an expiration date on them and you really never know what that date is until you reach it. I went a number of years after that without having a major incident. He said I was the only pilots he knew that had not crashed a plane. Then I lost an engine on a P61 that I had grown very fond of and on final with an engine out, I let the airspeed get too low. I had a bunch of hours in that aircraft but made a stupid error. It happens to all of us at one time or another.

Reactions: old man mavic
My original Mavic pro is about two years old and steady as a rock in the air. Never crashed it, and I'm confident it'll stay that way as long as I continue to fly well within it's limits.

Same here. How could one crash something like a Mavic Pro? [I can see how it would be easy to crash a fly-by-human drone.]

I started with quadcopters way back in 2014 with a DJI Flamewheel F450 fully upgraded with GPS and FPV with Tarot BL gimbal and Hero 3, then I got a Yuneec 4K Q500 Typhoon followed by a DJI Mavic Pro in January of 2016
Knock on wood but I haven't had a crash YET with any of these.
However I have crashed many RC aircraft since I started flying them in 1970.
:cool:

Reactions: zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661