DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 Test at PSI.

usaken

Reactions
Hmmm.....Signed up for what I hope is the FAA 107 test at PSI in San Francisco. The test is called unmanned aircraft general - small (UAG). They charged me $96. Does this sound like the right test? Have called PSI but cant seem to talk to a human to verify. The $96 charge is well below the standard $150. Thanks

Reactions: Simone L
Dang, what a ripoff. Of course, there is no way to search for "non-convenience fee" locations.
This 107 thing punishes those that want to be honest.

Also note that the price is supposed to be $150, so even with the added fee this appears to be only a $10 surcharge. If it really is the correct exam.

What do you know, I put in 300 mile radius and found a center 27 miles away without the kickback fee.
Pretty soon, it will be $1 test, and $149 kickback fee according to the deals being made by our FAA "friends".
Then they will tell us its a free test, with $150 kickback fee, what a joke.

What do you know, I put in 300 mile radius and found a center 27 miles away without the kickback fee.
Pretty soon, it will be $1 test, and $149 kickback fee according to the deals being made by our FAA "friends".
Then they will tell us its a free test, with $150 kickback fee, what a joke.
To all who helped, Thanks, I was able to get through to PSI after being on hold for 90 min. I verified that this is the correct test. Aparently the FAA gets nothing for the test. It all goes to PSI

To all who helped, Thanks, I was able to get through to PSI after being on hold for 90 min. I verified that this is the correct test. Aparently the FAA gets nothing for the test. It all goes to PSI

Did they explain why the price is only $96 instead of the listed standard $150?

and how in the world can their expenses be $160 a test? Convenience fees? complete BS.
Its so messed up.

and how in the world can their expenses be $160 a test? Convenience fees? complete BS.
Its so messed up.

The test centers are commercial businesses - they are not just covering expenses. That level of fee is normal.

Reactions: Thomas B
sure, but they are already there for manned pilot tests, and it may take 15 minutes of their time to admin the test.
I don't expect free, but they (whoever really gets the money) have a captive audience and are milking it hard.
I bet the fee is completly arbitrary. They just wanted it to seem serious so set at $150/$160.

sure, but they are already there for manned pilot tests, and it may take 15 minutes of their time to admin the test.
I don't expect free, but they (whoever really gets the money) have a captive audience and are milking it hard.
I bet the fee is completly arbitrary. They just wanted it to seem serious so set at $150/$160.

So you want the Part 61 pilots to subsidize the Part 107 testing?

So you want the Part 61 pilots to subsidize the Part 107 testing?
To some extent, yes. The manned flight ecosystem is not trivial. The tracking of info takes maintenance and really matters, safety wise.
That involves cost beyond the test, though I bet the FAA gets our tax money too.
Meanwhile, the drone people take the test and never bother the FAA again til next test.
So cost should reflect actual test cost, then service level beyond involved. We are like nothing after the test.
BTW, I'm sure the test cost prevents many people from taking it. If safety really was the goal, the cost would be low and everyone would e required to take it. Its not though, its about what the FAA was forced to do by Congress. They did something that looked good, fleeced industry, as if that was a good thing, and washed their hands.
The real safety issue of drone deliveries will likely not be solved for a long time, as they cannot solve the real problems, just the fake ones.

To some extent, yes. The manned flight ecosystem is not trivial. The tracking of info takes maintenance and really matters, safety wise.
That involves cost beyond the test, though I bet the FAA gets our tax money too.
Meanwhile, the drone people take the test and never bother the FAA again til next test.
So cost should reflect actual test cost, then service level beyond involved. We are like nothing after the test.
BTW, I'm sure the test cost prevents many people from taking it. If safety really was the goal, the cost would be low and everyone would e required to take it. Its not though, its about what the FAA was forced to do by Congress. They did something that looked good, fleeced industry, as if that was a good thing, and washed their hands.
The real safety issue of drone deliveries will likely not be solved for a long time, as they cannot solve the real problems, just the fake ones.

I'm afraid that I disagree with every single point you just tried to make. You seem to be arguing that because you want to fly a drone, and because there could be safety implications, the FAA should ensure that it is as cheap as possible for you to do so and achieve that by having other NAS users and the general taxpayer subsidize the costs.

"If safety really was the goal, the cost would be low and everyone would be required to take it."? Really - why should you be subsidized to fly for business or recreationally? It's your choice to do that. Right now the recreational pilots are getting a free pass - not because the FAA doesn't care about safety but because Congress screwed up. And do you have any idea of the cost of flying recreationally prior to Part 107? $150 is a complete steal.

Reactions: BarbT and Ty Pilot
The FAA does not get one cent of the testing fee, that all goes to PSI and it's 3rd party contracts, this is a well known fact. I think if the test price for general aviation certification was 150.00 before UA's were integrated into the NAS and that is what we are charged, I am fine with that. I look at it as just another of the expenses in the business.

Reactions: BarbT
What is this idea that it somehow costs anyone for drones to fly? You can't talk about something being subsidized until it actually has a cost.
Saying you used to have to pay more, for nothing, does not help the point. The lowering of fees that provided nothing is not a value.
Manned flights have a cost. There are people running towers, defining airspace, tracking rule breakers...that costs and has value.
No one is involved in drone flights, except the occasional waiver, but that is minimal.
The whole part 107 fake certification does have costs, but they are limited to making the test, coordinating test centers, and paying the database people to remember status. That is pretty basic, considering the first part is likely paid for by taxes.
Forget opinion though, let's change this to the useful question "what exactly do my test fees get used for?"
I'm still not clear how PSI fits into things, other than a web site runner. They must be paying the testing centers something.
That question might be already answered, post a link if so. Not trying to make anyone re-explain it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe