DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st generation Smart Controller and Mavic 3

I was hoping for the same. Godspeed, Droniac

Reactions: Beamie and TuanQt
Just wanted to get the 3 and use the 1st Gen until I want to fork over another $1k.
You will have to fork $1,200 for the new RC Pro as the old one has been made obsolete since it does not work with the new Mavic 3!

Anyone know if the 1st Generation smart controller will work with the Mavic 3? Just wanted to get the 3 and use the 1st Gen until I want to fork over another $1k.
It seems that no-one yet knows but DJI say no. The price difference is (sorry UK figures) £579 for the old one and £879 for the new one. I did wonder if the new DJI RC Pro is backwards compatible with the Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 but again, no one seems to know....

And the new DJI RC Pro is only compatible with the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine (so far).
Doesn't his kind of defeat the purpose (and promise) of the original smart controller?

(And does that not mean that the Mavic 4 might require the DJI RC Pro2 to take full advantage of it with Ocusync 4/5 or whatever they have then?

I genuinely don't understand this product...

Doesn't his kind of defeat the purpose (and promise) of the original smart controller?

(And does that not mean that the Mavic 4 might require the DJI RC Pro2 to take full advantage of it with Ocusync 4/5 or whatever they have then?

Actually based on what DJI is currently saying, the RC Pro2 would ONLY work with the Mavic 4. Not the Mavic 3 or anything previous to it. :(

Just to confirm everything i contacted DJI and here is the response.
1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Sure looks that way o_O I sure hope they think about updates I just don't have the money keep buying new because they no longer support it. I just got the SC1 and now a new one? Sure hope the specs are a little more accurate on the SC2 on the SC1 way off 🤫

Much to my surprise as well, it seems it does not work, at least right now. It works with the Air 2S which I think a lot of people, myself included, took to mean it would also work with the M3 as both the Air2S and M3 are Occusync 3 products.

There is some hope though. I saw a YouTube video where the individual updated his original SC and part of the update was to add M3 compatibility (it showed this on the SC screen). He then went to a DJI store, but it wouldn't pair with a M3 (no clue if they did everything correctly or not). So it's possible that eventually they will work together, otherwise what would be the point of updating firmware to the SCv1 for M3 compatibility. Fingers crossed.

SC.jpg

What happened is that DJI is using the same Fly App for both all controllers and Android Devices instead to do another version for the Smart Controller, but they have no intention to support the Smart Controller with the excuse that the Smart Controller can not support the LTE connectivity.

What happened is that DJI is using the same Fly App for both all controllers and Android Devices instead to do another version for the Smart Controller, but they have no intention to support the Smart Controller with the excuse that the Smart Controller can not support the LTE connectivity.

That's too bad. Oh well. Seems like an excuse to satisfy the marketing department - not at all uncommon, but unfortunate nonetheless.

I personally see value in the RC Pro and will be buying it regardless, however I also completely understand the desire to carry over the SC v1.

At the very least, I hope the RC Pro is backwards compatible with lesser drones as well, then you can sell the SC v1 separately and minimize upgrade cost.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
themass31